Creep feeder

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
Smoothy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Creep feeder

Postby Smoothy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Haha no kidding Jed I Know the feeling. Guy asked why we "put up with" cattle and I just told him we have to haul both cattle and grain to market at least a couple hours one way and a load of cattle is worth way more than a load of corn so might as well feed the corn and haul the cattle!
0 x

Smoothy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Smoothy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:30 pm

I shot you a pm Ga I think it worked?
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Smoothy wrote:I shot you a pm Ga I think it worked?

If your talking to me I don't have one.
0 x

Smoothy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Smoothy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:06 am

I sent one to GAonmymind I think. Still figuring out how this sorta works haha
0 x

GAonmymind
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby GAonmymind » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 am

Smoothy I did not get it. Appreciate the thought.
0 x

Smoothy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Smoothy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 am

Dang it must be in space somewhere. I'll do it again tonight it's sorta a lengthy explanation.
0 x

broncohunter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby broncohunter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:59 pm

I spent most of Friday calling around and trying to get feed prices. The place I'm going to buy from has a 14% that the owner feeds. He doesn't implant and has a creep feeder in the pasture averaging 3.2 to 3.6 a day. It seems like the best option.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 am

broncohunter wrote:I spent most of Friday calling around and trying to get feed prices. The place I'm going to buy from has a 14% that the owner feeds. He doesn't implant and has a creep feeder in the pasture averaging 3.2 to 3.6 a day. It seems like the best option.

How much feed were they eating per day or did he not say.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

broncohunter
Beginner
Beginner

Postby broncohunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:47 pm

He said it was free choice.
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:46 pm

5S Cattle wrote:I sat in the sale barn last Friday and was thinking the exact same as you. Buy em at 4 and sell em at 7. be nice near doubling your money.
That RARELY works out, Ive learned that the profit margin is about the same in any weight class, about the best you're gonna do is 150 per head profit, the worst you can lose your azz and all your fixtures . You can keep the sharpest pencil and the market won't cooperate, you pay your money and take your chances . The best thing I can tell you is stick to your plan, if you want to sell at 700, do it every time , don't fuss about a downturn , get them gone and buy more, don't holdem and hope to break even. ACCEPT it and move on.
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:37 pm

broncohunter wrote:He said it was free choice.

To get that 3.2--3.6 lbs. per head per day they must be eating about 20=25 lbs. per day.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 am

broncohunter wrote:He doesn't implant and has a creep feeder in the pasture averaging 3.2 to 3.6 a day. It seems like the best option.

Sounds like a money loser. Do the COG and VOG math.

The reason folks quit pasture finishing many years ago is that pasture feed conversion is lower than in a dry lot. The more they eat the worse it gets.

Even feed salesmen usually switch you to a feed limiter once a calf is consuming more than 10#/day.
0 x
Stocker Steve

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:58 pm

snoopdog wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:I sat in the sale barn last Friday and was thinking the exact same as you. Buy em at 4 and sell em at 7. be nice near doubling your money.
That RARELY works out, Ive learned that the profit margin is about the same in any weight class, about the best you're gonna do is 150 per head profit, the worst you can lose your azz and all your fixtures . You can keep the sharpest pencil and the market won't cooperate, you pay your money and take your chances . The best thing I can tell you is stick to your plan, if you want to sell at 700, do it every time , don't fuss about a downturn , get them gone and buy more, don't holdem and hope to break even. ACCEPT it and move on.

Or buy puts on them so you have a floor in them. That way you don't loose. Don't make a profit but don't loose.
0 x

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Best to sell at 850-9 and they go to feed lot. If sold at 7 they go to someone that grazes them before the feedlot. That someone is going to bid low enough to make money too.
1 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”