Heifer in calf

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Heifer in calf

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:21 am

We've a huge problem. One heifer, now 15 months old, probably is in calf by our bull we've used last year or our neighbour's bull. She should calve after 1-2 months. We've noticed that she is in calf just this year when she was already in calf for 4-5 months, so we've injected drugs to abort her. Yesterday we saw how her calf is moving inside her. She is about 770-880lbs. The angriest thing is that she has the best temper from heifers and that we've already lost her dam, her granddam and her half brother this year. :bang: We don't want to loose another one. :cry:
If she is in calf by our bull tha'd be very bad, because she has a little bit BB blood( her granddam was 1/2BB),while bull has Charolais blood( dam 3/4Charolais) and his calves usually are quite big, had just two smaller than 88lbs, the biggest out of 1/2BB cow ~120lbs. Our neighbours bull is dairy, but it's also huge problem, because even if full matured heifer is calving for the first time sometimes needs to help( one heifer was 33months old,~1540lbs, calf was normal, ~99-105lbs).
0 x

chippie
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifer in calf

Postby chippie » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:19 am

I am sorry to hear this. We had a similar experience and ours was too far along like yours to abort the calf.
My best advice is to keep a very close eye on her as she approached her due date so that should she need a c-section, you can get to her in time.
Good luck.
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 am

chippie wrote:I am sorry to hear this. We had a similar experience and ours was too far along like yours to abort the calf.
My best advice is to keep a very close eye on her as she approached her due date so that should she need a c-section, you can get to her in time.
Good luck.

Thank you. We hope calf will be small.We're going to watch her. If we'll see that she's going to calve we'll call to our vet, what he could say. Well, he'd never done c-section, so we'll need to call to another vet if it'll be necessary, but he not always want to come, for example, at the weekends or when it's late evening. :(
0 x

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:58 am

I wish you a good luck. I hate pregnant teenagers so much.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:13 pm

Why not try Lutalyse and dexamethasone to get her to abort now.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:31 pm

dun wrote:Why not try Lutalyse and dexamethasone to get her to abort now.

I think it is too late
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Taurus wrote:

I think it is too late

If you can induce a cow early with the same shots why wouldn;t it work for aborting one? It would be the same as inducing labor wouldn;t it? Lute by itself won;t work but the dex should do the job in combination with the lute
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:06 pm

I have had 4 of these in the last two months and 4 more to go. Decent pasture and minerals. I wouldn't feed her anything extra because at this point it will just make the calf to grow. Keep a close eye on her and have all the tools handy to pull the calf.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:06 am

Dave wrote:I have had 4 of these in the last two months and 4 more to go. Decent pasture and minerals. I wouldn't feed her anything extra because at this point it will just make the calf to grow. Keep a close eye on her and have all the tools handy to pull the calf.

All this year calves birth weights are without any extra feed given, just hay.
We've injected drugs to abort her twice, but it didn't worked. We'll bring heifer home and keep her near.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:46 pm

Heifer
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:17 pm

Dun is right. Lut by itself is only about 35% on anything out past 180 days. If you were injecting her with prostaglandins to abort her, try again.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Also one thing, after week after injecting drugs for first time there was flowing somekind of liquid out of her uterus. Then we've injected her for the second time( 11days after first time) liquid was still flowing for awhile. Now it's probably her the last pregnancy month and we still can sometimes see liquid dripping. Why it's happening? Is everything alright?
We guess that drugs can make her calve faster, so we'll start waiting for calf from next week's end.
0 x

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Looks like the drugs don't work
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Today heifers escaped out of their pasture and found them with neighbours yearling bulls. After long day separating them from bulls, we've noticed that pregnant heifer is trying to push like calving. Now she is at home in the barn. Vet said that her uterus is still closed, so she won't have a calf today, but we'll watch her all next days. Vet said that she's doing like that, because of this day adventures. Also he said that calf is alive and is fully developed.
0 x

lithuanian farmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby lithuanian farmer » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:07 am

Finally she calved. Has heifer. She's very young, after 9 days she'll be 16 months old. Today my parents were in the city when I've noticed that she's calving. I've helped her, but it's very easy pull, I've pulled calf with rope in less than one minute. Luckily young mother let calf to nurse, she's standing very calm. Going to weigh heifer today, but think she'll weigh not more than 77lbs.
And now we finally know that calf is by our bull. :)
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”