Bad weather and calving.

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Medic24
GURU
GURU

Bad weather and calving.

Post by Medic24 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:20 pm

Is it just me, or is it true, but I have noticed especially this year that my calves seem to be born just before or during really bad weather.

Could there be a connection to the barometer falling or raising that may be of some explanation to this?

I am guessing that better then 85% of our calves have been dropped just prior to, or during snow falls this winter and spring, and the latest one (today) dropped during a hail/thunder/rain downpour.

Any one else have some input here? :cboy:

I am poor, but yet I am rich, fore I till the soil......naw....... who am I fooling? I am just plain dirt poor!

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Post by Beefy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:06 pm

dont know. had one right before the hail storm and one right after.
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Post by cypressfarms » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:34 pm

I thought it was widely accepted that there were two things that could help a cow along:

One is a drop in the barometric pressure (like a cold front), causing the cow to go into labor.

Second is a full moon.

Maybe I been in the "moon", but always heard about the two.
waiting for something really important to say

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Post by Beefy » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:37 pm

every year when i turn them in on winter annuals for the first time i have a buttload of calves born the next few days. bad weather never fails but the moon sikes me out everyonce in a while.
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:50 pm

cypressfarms wrote:I thought it was widely accepted that there were two things that could help a cow along:

One is a drop in the barometric pressure (like a cold front), causing the cow to go into labor.

Second is a full moon.

Maybe I been in the "moon", but always heard about the two.

I've heard about the drop in barometric pressure, but the full moon theory is a new one. I tend to believe the barometric pressure one as we went for a week with no new calves, storm rolls in and we got 6 or so in a couple of days while it was snowing hard. Maybe I need to add a new column to my calving spreadsheet - weather! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Post by Susie David » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:32 pm

I've heard that the falling barometer triggers feeding in animals and also effects labor. Last calf born here was on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Victoria
GURU
GURU

Post by Victoria » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:12 pm

We typically have a few calves born right before cold weather or a storm. We up the checks if we know really cold weather is coming. Maybe that's what we need here, a cold snap, get these ladies back to work here.