How long after feet are sticking out?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
ebkyle2
Beginner
Beginner

How long after feet are sticking out?

Post by ebkyle2 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 am

How long do you typically wait after you see the feet protruding before you provide assistance?

Assuming the heifer is large enough, in the proper BCS, bred to a PROVEN calving ease bull and the feet indicate it is a normal presentation.

I couldn't take the suspense so I pulled a calf the other day. Mom and baby are fine, but I am just wondering what you all use as a rule of thumb.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: How long after feet are sticking out?

Post by msscamp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:33 am

ebkyle2 wrote:How long do you typically wait after you see the feet protruding before you provide assistance?

Assuming the heifer is large enough, in the proper BCS, bred to a PROVEN calving ease bull and the feet indicate it is a normal presentation.

I couldn't take the suspense so I pulled a calf the other day. Mom and baby are fine, but I am just wondering what you all use as a rule of thumb.

Once the feet are out, if there is no progress within an hour the animal is checked for problems.
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Bez! » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:54 am

Well, usually I am in complete agreement with msscamp - a darned fine cow lady - but here I do not agree.

If the feet are out and nothing else is happening - real soon - then I am - provided I am there - usually more inclined to act.

What I look for is "steady" progress".

30 minutes max for me if progress stops.

Fortunately our girls are almost 100% per year - no assist.

Because I just wrote that I will tap my head and say "Touch wood!" :lol:

Bez!

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:25 pm

I agree with Bez. Progress is what I keep an eye out for. If she isn;t working at it and the fet are out, 10-15 minutes and I'm digging around trying to figure out why. Although we had a cow calve yesterday that depending on when you looked at her you'ld either see a lot of progress or regress. Saw the feet, 5 minute later the lower legs, 5 minutes later nothing, 10 minutes later the lower leg again, 5 minutes later nothing. 15 minutes later a calf trying to stand up.

dun

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:57 pm

I screwed up - Bez and Dun are right. :oops: Thanks guys. :)
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

alacattleman
GURU
GURU

Post by alacattleman » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:13 pm

im with these fellers 20-30 minutes max

lukem86
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by lukem86 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:27 pm

just curious what you guys would have done in this situation, my first calf dropped last sunday... I just stood by and watched from a distance so as not to disturb the cow...

Saw the tip of a hoof by 11:30am or so, mama was up and down a couple of times pushing, she had worked the other leg out a few inches or so a little before noon, and then things kind of went backwards, both legs went back in, although the first was partially out, mama laid back down and started pushing and by 12:20 calf was on the ground.

This was my first calf ever, just curious is this was somewhat normal, or should I have reacted differently?.?.?.

GURU
GURU

Re: How long after feet are sticking out?

Post by 1848 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:30 pm

ebkyle2 wrote:How long do you typically wait after you see the feet protruding before you provide assistance?

2 hrs in heifers. Sometimes you just got to let nature take it's course

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Bez! » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:38 pm

msscamp wrote:I screwed up - Bez and Dun are right. :oops: Thanks guys. :)

WHAT?????

You are not perfect?

Yet you are female?

Seems to me that tonight I have been told by at least 6 fine looking women that they are much smarter than men.

You have restored my faith in manhood msscamp.

8)

Bez!

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:48 pm

Bez! wrote:
msscamp wrote:I screwed up - Bez and Dun are right. :oops: Thanks guys. :)

WHAT?????

You are not perfect?

Yet you are female?

Seems to me that tonight I have been told by at least 6 fine looking women that they are much smarter than men.

You have restored my faith in manhood msscamp.

8)

Bez!

Smart aleck!! That particular trait was on back-order when I was in the mold, so I've had to make do without it. :P :P :P

jcarkie
GURU
GURU

Post by jcarkie » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:51 pm

everytime they get up and down the feet go back in. after steady pushing and no progress it is time to check what is going on. i had a second calf cow go 4 hours feet showing, jump the fence jumped back in. i thought she was in trouble would not go in the trailer or anything. would not lay down more than a minute and finally just layed down and plop in 10 minutes there was a calf. you never know i have seen them stand and drop them on thier head too.

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Post by Susie David » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:56 pm

Could be me but I get anxious if there are feet I check for a nose in there too. Pulled a big heifer calf from a small herf heifer on Sunday. Feet with no nose in the middle, a slight presentation correction, a steady pull, no chains needed and once the shoulders were clear she stood up and gravity took it's course. For me it's the progress...contractions and no calf movement I like to assist, but that's just me. Dmc
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Post by Beefy » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:24 pm

i go by progress too. I will usually give a heifer 2 hours. i like for them to have the calf themselves if theres any way possible. i probably neglect my cows more than anyone else on here too though.
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:39 pm

Beefy wrote:i probably neglect my cows more than anyone else on here too though.

Yeah, right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

aplusmnt
GURU
GURU

Post by aplusmnt » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:15 am

msscamp wrote:
Beefy wrote:i probably neglect my cows more than anyone else on here too though.

Yeah, right! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was what I was thinking! I been waiting for beefy to give us a photo of one at each stage of exciting the mother :)

Do you take photo request Beefy?
Readers: Beware fore I am a Janitor and know not what I speak of!

Donald