orphan

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Dana Kopp
Cowhand
Cowhand

orphan

Post by Dana Kopp » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:41 pm

Thought I'd offer an interesting story...

Last week we had a cow get her head stuck in the fence while laying down, during the night and by the next morning she couldn't stand. To make a long story short, we worked all day to get her up, didn't succeed and she died that night. :(

Her calf nursed every chance he could while she was down and after him mom died we decided that we should try to bottle feed him. He is a good month old and he didn't agree with the idea. The first night we couldn't find him and after searching the pasture found him happily nursing on one of the heifers. Of course he didn't pick the older cows that could feed two, so to prevent him from getting injured or draining one of the younger cows we took him home. On a whim we pulled a young cow that had a stillborn calf about 3 weeks ago (4 now). She had kind of taken an interest in him so we figured if nothing else she might keep an eye on him. On another whim we threw her in the chute to see if she still had milk. We were floored that she still did so we let the calf go to town. We also coated him with O-No-More - a FANTASTIC powder calf claimer stuff every time he nursed. It took two days for her to not kick at least once in the chute, a day and a half of us having to stand in the corral for him to nurse and last night and we made them stay in the corral for the next day just to make sure she let him nurse whenever he wanted. So last night I turned them out with the last couple cows left to calve and he didn't try to hit up the others for milk and she is keeping a very close eye on him, talking, cleaning and generally being an excellent mother. Her milk is slowly coming back, she raised her own monster calf last year so assuming everything gets working again on similar levels - I can't hardly believe it but I think this actually might work!! :D

Dana Kopp
Kopp Cattle & Horses
Turah, MT

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Post by warpaint » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:04 pm

I love it when a plan comes together!
Congrats. :)
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

jcarkie
GURU
GURU

Post by jcarkie » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:04 pm

i wish mine would cooperate that good. we put a second calf on her and she will stand in the chute, to be milked or nursed. but outside she will not let him nurse

KMacGinley
GURU
GURU

Post by KMacGinley » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:38 pm

jcarkie wrote:i wish mine would cooperate that good. we put a second calf on her and she will stand in the chute, to be milked or nursed. but outside she will not let him nurse

Try putting molasses on the calf's head, back tailhead and navel. I tried this and she began licking the orphan and two days later she was shaking her head at me when I went into the pen.

jcarkie
GURU
GURU

Post by jcarkie » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:28 pm

i tried vanilla extract and it didn't work. she still has her own calf so she doesn't ever get close to him. her calf is real little, about half the size of the others. she is half holstein, her calf last year was little but stocky like a dwarf, this one is normal looking just petite. the cow is big framed, the calf can walk under her and nurse like a little goat.

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Post by Beefy » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:12 pm

3 weeks?! CRIKEY!

the latest ive ever tried to bring one back to milk has been day 7 and even then it takes a while to get it going good.
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

KMacGinley
GURU
GURU

Post by KMacGinley » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:31 pm

jcarkie wrote:i tried vanilla extract and it didn't work. she still has her own calf so she doesn't ever get close to him. her calf is real little, about half the size of the others. she is half holstein, her calf last year was little but stocky like a dwarf, this one is normal looking just petite. the cow is big framed, the calf can walk under her and nurse like a little goat.

Maybe she doesn't like vanilla, try the molasses. :)

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Post by warpaint » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:06 am

Beefy wrote:3 weeks?! CRIKEY!

the latest ive ever tried to bring one back to milk has been day 7 and even then it takes a while to get it going good.

Beefy, you been watchin a lot of Crocidile Hunter?
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

Dana Kopp
Cowhand
Cowhand

orphan

Post by Dana Kopp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:09 am

What is even more amazing is that since her calf was stillborn she never nursed anything this year. This was her second calf, she is just a 2003 model.

I never thought of vanilla - molasses would work especially if they like grain with molasses. The best stuff I have found is the O-No-More powder, just wet the calf with a little water, head to tail and sprinkle it on. Not every Ag store carries it but I have seen it in catalogs - we tried another claimer that smelled like licorice. O.k. if you like the smell of licorice, didn't work nearly as well as the other stuff, but they smelled better!
Dana Kopp
Kopp Cattle & Horses
Turah, MT

Dana Kopp
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dana Kopp » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:31 pm

Come on, don't you want pretty smelling babies?? Personally I love the smell of cows but my "city friends" would like vanilla or licorice smelling cows much better! :) Sure, the O-No-More smells like manure/dirt/ammonia - it kind of hits the re-set button in the cow's mind, not just covering up the other smells. Plus it isn't as sticky as molasses...Just a whif and a taste and they start yawning and drooling and licking - and if you have ever very closely watched a cow first getting the smell & taste of her calf she will drool, yawn and lick/pick her nose with her tongue.
Dana Kopp
Kopp Cattle & Horses
Turah, MT