STILL NO CALF -I think I gotta give up...?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Bez! » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:00 pm

TR wrote:
heritagefarmer wrote:I'm just wondering why do the vet thing when she's not showing any signs yet?
I think she may have just slipped in transport if she was bred at all.

Well, for a bunch of reasons. What if she has a uterine infection and won't breed until you get it cleared up? What if its gone on for a length of time so that it can't be cleared up and she will never breed? If she's not bred, why not? Is there anything wrong that would cause her not to settle upon exposure to a bull?

I have one out here that I'm asking the same questions about. If she calved last year, how come she hasn't come in heat since she had that calf? I mean, it was a big calf, and she was a first calf heifer, but 2 Lute shots, CIDR, and still no heat cycle. Pulled calf, no heat cycle for almost a month after he was weaned, and even that was not a hot one. Has not been back in heat since. Should I assume she was bred and safely in calf, or should I have her ultrasounded to see if that one little breeding took? She is my favorite and had the top weaning calf last year. Not to mention that my space out here is limited, and I don't have the room to keep a non-producing cow out here, no matter how much of a favorite she is. I'd rather know if she is or is not bred, and if she isn't, why she hasn't settled. If there is a problem, I'd rather fix it now before it becomes unfixable in the future, or know for sure that she has settled, is healthy and sleep at night.

I may be a worry wart, but if I was breeding something as rare and wonderful as Belties, I would err on the side of caution and want to know for sure. Too many things can go wrong, and its not like you can go to the sale barn and pick up a replacement if something is wrong with her. But then again, thousands of cows get bred and have live healthy calves each year......

Belted Galloways rare?

They may not be as popular as herfs or angus - but i would not call them rare. A couple of decent herds within 5 miles of me - and a few more in Alberta. Lots of Beltie associations and groups all through Canada and the U.S. of A.

I certainly would call them unique though.

HeritageFarmer - if you are a native spud islander this will mean something to you.

I am not "from away". Please keep the meaning under your hat if you know it - just twixt us. 8)

Bez!

Gale Seddon
GURU
GURU

Post by Gale Seddon » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:56 pm

Not to argue the point, but the Am. Livestock Breeds Conservancy considers them "rare" but under the "Watch" category:

"Watch: Fewer than 2500 annual registrations in the United States and estimated fewer than 10,000 global population. Also included are breeds with genetic or numerical concerns or limited geographic distribution."

There's a herd not far from us that I see everyday on my way to work...on the coldest mornings (nothing like WAY up north, but cold for here), they look quite content...roly-poly calves with white belts, really nice to see. But I have also seen others in this area that really seem to pay for it in the heat of summer. Friend of mine had a beltie steer for their freezer (must have had a BIG freezer!).

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Update on the case of the non-existent calf

Post by heritagefarmer » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:39 pm

Had the vet in today, she said there are no cysts, but there are a couple of polyps. (Not sure what the difference is, and Carl is useless with big words!)
He never asked any questions at all!
Anyhoo, she's had a shot and vet said she should come in heat in a day or and we will know when she does.
Hope this fixes her..

Any advice on polyps???

:help:

PS They are officially 'rare' in Canada, less than 25 registered last year.. :(
If I win the lottery, I'll keep on farming until it's all gone!

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Re: Update on the case of the non-existent calf

Post by buckaroo_bif » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:12 pm

heritagefarmer wrote:Had the vet in today, she said there are no cysts, but there are a couple of polyps. (Not sure what the difference is, and Carl is useless with big words!)
He never asked any questions at all!
Anyhoo, she's had a shot and vet said she should come in heat in a day or and we will know when she does.
Hope this fixes her..

Any advice on polyps???

:help:

PS They are officially 'rare' in Canada, less than 25 registered last year.. :(

So? we are certain she is Not bred now or what???

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by heritagefarmer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:12 am

We are certain she is not bred. Vet had her arm in, and calf was due 2 weeks ago.
I think she'd have noticed! :lol:

jaydill
GURU
GURU

Post by jaydill » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:41 am

So are you planning to A.I. her when she comes into heat?

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by heritagefarmer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:09 am

That's the plan, yes, but not until later, as we want March calving.
Her daughter is due to be bred this year too, and has already 'gotten friendly' with the pony
:oops:

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Post by buckaroo_bif » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:37 pm

heritagefarmer wrote:Her daughter is due to be bred this year too, and has already 'gotten friendly' with the pony
:oops:

:shock: she what?

heritagefarmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by heritagefarmer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:43 pm

She's been getting amorous with the pony, riding her.....
do I have to draw you a picture??

;-)

buckaroo_bif
GURU
GURU

Post by buckaroo_bif » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:51 pm

heritagefarmer wrote:She's been getting amorous with the pony, riding her.....
do I have to draw you a picture??

;-)

yes a picture might be helpful :)

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Post by Susie David » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:52 pm

Do share....
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"