Quiz: AI versus Buy a Bull

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
GaryDG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Quiz: AI versus Buy a Bull

Post by GaryDG » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:59 pm

Assume all cows/heifers have the same background.

cow / heiffer herd size is 15

All are registered Black Angus.

Why would you AI as instead of purchasing a good bull?

Gary

novaman
GURU
GURU

Post by novaman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:02 pm

If you have only 15 head I wouldn't think there would be an advantage to AIing. You might as well just buy a bull because some of them won't take the first time when you AI and you'll be doing more work then it's worth.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:17 pm

novaman wrote:If you have only 15 head I wouldn't think there would be an advantage to AIing. You might as well just buy a bull because some of them won't take the first time when you AI and you'll be doing more work then it's worth.

But then again, if you AI you have a broader selection of genes from which to choose, you can customize according to each heifers strengths and weaknesses, and you don't have to deal with feeding/penning/dealing with the bull during the off season.
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

novaman
GURU
GURU

Post by novaman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:19 pm

msscamp wrote:
novaman wrote:If you have only 15 head I wouldn't think there would be an advantage to AIing. You might as well just buy a bull because some of them won't take the first time when you AI and you'll be doing more work then it's worth.

But then again, if you AI you have a broader selection of genes from which to choose, you can customize according to each heifers strengths and weaknesses, and you don't have to deal with feeding/penning/dealing with the bull during the off season.

Very good point. I suppose it depends on the situation. If your just starting out and trying to breed for replacements and such you would want the best genetics and AI would allow you to do that.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:23 pm

novaman wrote:
msscamp wrote:

Very good point. I suppose it depends on the situation. If your just starting out and trying to breed for replacements and such you would want the best genetics and AI would allow you to do that.

You're absolutely right, whether to AI or buy a bull does depend entirely on the situation and what the ultimate goal is.
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

GaryDG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Financial Returns & Time Requirements

Post by GaryDG » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:29 pm

Concerning these two factors, what's your opinion?

The broader gene pool is important but there are costs: AI Tech, sperm, certificate, multiple takes and of course buying the bull, feeding him, and the other ancillary costs?
Gary

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Financial Returns & Time Requirements

Post by msscamp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:34 pm

GaryDG wrote:Concerning these two factors, what's your opinion?

The broader gene pool is important but there are costs: AI Tech, sperm, certificate, multiple takes and of course buying the bull, feeding him, and the other ancillary costs?

You have not stated what your goals are, so this is a question that cannot be honestly answered. The certificate is not necessary unless you are wanting to register your calves, but again, whether or not that is a factor has not been stated. If it were me, I would put a pencil to it and see what works out according to what my goals were.

novaman
GURU
GURU

Post by novaman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:36 pm

Just a thought but if you want to get serious you could take a class to learn how to AI. That would eliminate a big cost in the operation. Something I just thought of, if you buy a bull and you plan on keeping replacements from him you wouldn't want to put the daughters back with him.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:40 pm

novaman wrote:Something I just thought of, if you buy a bull and you plan on keeping replacements from him you wouldn't want to put the daughters back with him.

Very good point, novaman.

GaryDG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Bull/Offspring

Post by GaryDG » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Would never do that.

Good point.
Gary

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:03 pm

novaman wrote:Just a thought but if you want to get serious you could take a class to learn how to AI. That would eliminate a big cost in the operation. Something I just thought of, if you buy a bull and you plan on keeping replacements from him you wouldn't want to put the daughters back with him.

Sorry, novaman, you're whole post was very good points. Brain fart on my part. :oops:

SEC
Rancher
Rancher

AI

Post by SEC » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:21 am

This is assuming that you will achieve 100% conception.

Find someone that you can share a bull with and split the cost.

novaman
GURU
GURU

Re: AI

Post by novaman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:27 am

SEC wrote:This is assuming that you will achieve 100% conception.

The problem I see with sharing a bull is the spread of diseases and such. I have nothing against any of my neighbors and friends but I would hate to have something spread from their herd to mine. There is also a problem if you have common breeding seasons. Not trying to be negative on the idea. Just trying to point out some things.

SEC
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SEC » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:42 am

Don't matter if you are already sharing fences with them

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: AI

Post by msscamp » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:45 am

SEC wrote:This is assuming that you will achieve 100% conception.

The chances of getting 100% conception even with a bull are slim - if that was the case there would be no need for a 60 - 90 day breeding window. There will always be those that don't settle with the first mating - regardless of whether it's bull or AI. Just my experience.