Ayrshire cow crossed with a highland bull?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Re: Ayrshire cow crossed with a highland bull?

Post by Lucky_P » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:49 am

Calving ease bull? Why?
These are mature COWS, if the OP represented them correctly.
They ought to be able to deliver a good calf...no need to limit them to a lbw/calving ease bull suitable for use on virgin heifers.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:55 pm

Rmc wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:38 am
Most of those who say not to raise highland cross cattle have never raised them or tasted the beef.
My highland cross calves sell for the almost ,if not the same price as my dads angus cross calves. The also require less feed in put then many other breeds especially during winter to maintain body condition .wich means less hay feed,reducing cost per cow .the meat is excellant tasting.f
If you would like to try it i would suggest using a black highland bull.i prefer the older traditional more muscular types then some of the newer types.they older type will produce more pounds of meat from the same size frame
I'm prepared to give it a go.

darcelina4
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by darcelina4 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:46 pm

We had a highland shorthorn cow. We got her at 7 months. She grew just as fast as the rest. We sold her at 3. She was 1200 pounds. She was docile and a big pet. We used her as a nurse cow. Only sold her as she preferred the neighbors hay field to her pasture. I miss my hairy cow.