Too early to wean?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Post Reply
cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 528
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 pm
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 175 times

Too early to wean?

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:26 pm

I have a handful of 5 month old calves. My cows are starting to look skinny. What's best to do. Wean my calves now (I usually do it at 7 months) or wait it out and let their mothers go down hill a bit more? All the cows are about 3 months pregnant. With them being pregnant, the cold and with a calf on them, they have lost a bit of fluff. I nose flapped half of them. We are debating if we do them all. What would you do? Is 5 months an ok time?



User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15320
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 984 times
Been thanked: 773 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by Nesikep » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:28 pm

they can be weaned now, giving them some grain would probably help them out a fair bit, the cows will probably be fine without once the calves are off.. they got lots of time before they have to be productive again
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1775
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Navarro County, Texas
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by bird dog » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Creep feed the calves and leave them on the moms at least for another month. I wouldn't worry about the moms.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4741
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 pm

I have been weaning the calves down to about 100kg due to sever drought at the moment. They go onto a grain mix and hay and do fine. Cows are picking up also with bit of added grain.

Ken

User avatar
MurraysMutts
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:51 pm
Location: N. Central boonies, Oklahoma
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by MurraysMutts » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:57 pm

bird dog wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:16 pm
Creep feed the calves and leave them on the moms at least for another month. I wouldn't worry about the moms.
Personally, without putting eyes on em and such, I like this idea! Most bang for the buck.
Unless u wanna feed dem mamas a lot more....
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

User avatar
ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:49 am
Location: ne texas
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by ccr » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:29 pm

pictures of the mamas would be good to see what they look like. what are you feeding the cows?

not knowing anything else, i would do what nesi suggested and wean now.

can you post some pics of the mamas?
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2281
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 576 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by Ky hills » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:12 am

They can be be weaned but like others have said they will need some feed. We wean some of ours that young if the bulls are still with cows.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11391
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 731 times
Been thanked: 1008 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:42 pm

I always wean my "show" calves that young with absolutely no problem. But - yes - they are fed a good balanced grain mix - about 5#/hd/day. You want about a 14% ration. It is LOTS cheaper to feed the calves, then feed the cows.
Even if you creep feed them, they are still going to suck mom inside out. If you use flaps, put them on for a week, then separate them.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 461
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:25 pm
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by Katpau » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:00 pm

Plenty of Ranchers routinely wean at 5 months. By that age they are not receiving much of their nutrition from the cow anyway. Like Jeanne said, it is much cheaper to feed the calf then it is to feed the pair. We begin calving the end of February and wean in Mid September. The oldest calves are 7 months, but there are usually a few closer to 5 months. I've noticed that weaning and feeding the calves seems to really help those younger smaller calves. The pastures are really poor by then and the older calves had the advantage of being older when pastures were still at their best. Those older calves gained at a faster rate and are way bigger, but once we wean and feed those calves better, the younger smaller ones will start to catch up.

User avatar
MurraysMutts
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:51 pm
Location: N. Central boonies, Oklahoma
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by MurraysMutts » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Image

For whatever reason I left this one on a lil too long...
Mama is behind him.
No creep. Just milk and grass. Lol

Image
Milk! It does a body good...
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

greggy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:35 am
Location: Land down under
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by greggy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:25 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 pm
I have been weaning the calves down to about 100kg due to sever drought at the moment. They go onto a grain mix and hay and do fine. Cows are picking up also with bit of added grain.

Ken
Can I ask what you been buying or mixing up that we can get locally ?

I can get pellets made up but is still about a dollar a kg nearly...it is sort of like coprice starter or grower....

But maybe they would be better on a mix I can do....oats seems to be ok whole, many others prob need rolling

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4741
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:11 am

greggy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:25 am
wbvs58 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 pm
I have been weaning the calves down to about 100kg due to sever drought at the moment. They go onto a grain mix and hay and do fine. Cows are picking up also with bit of added grain.

Ken
Can I ask what you been buying or mixing up that we can get locally ?

I can get pellets made up but is still about a dollar a kg nearly...it is sort of like coprice starter or grower....

But maybe they would be better on a mix I can do....oats seems to be ok whole, many others prob need rolling
Greggy, I use a custom mix from Killarney Coop. I buy 4 ton at a time, I have a small silo at home. It is $515/ton at the moment, usually around $325/ton plus a bit of delivery. It is 14% protein, the grain in the last load seems to be 100% barley but will usually be a mix with sorghum plus whatever protein source they are using, soyabean meal at the moment I think. The grain goes through a roller. Plus their usual premix. The Coop has done a mighty job keeping everyone supplied over the last 18mths. It is not easy for them to source the basic materials, they are in a big grain growing area but local grain is no longer in existence.

Ken

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 30239
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 317 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Too early to wean?

Post by TexasBred » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:47 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:42 pm
I always wean my "show" calves that young with absolutely no problem. But - yes - they are fed a good balanced grain mix - about 5#/hd/day. You want about a 14% ration. It is LOTS cheaper to feed the calves, then feed the cows.
Even if you creep feed them, they are still going to suck mom inside out. If you use flaps, put them on for a week, then separate them.
We weaned hundreds of dairy calves every year at 6 weeks. The main thing was to ensure they were eating a couple of pounds of feed per day.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Post Reply