Pregnant cow that lost her first

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
GoWyo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Pregnant cow that lost her first

Post by GoWyo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:40 am

What Buck Randall said. Had a cow that accumulated amniotic fluid faster than she got rid of it. Was fatal to both of mine though.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:07 am

Buck Randall wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:05 pm
Sounds like it could be hydrops, but you should have a vet look at her.
I would listen to Buck, Hydrops is known to reoccur. Is your vet far from you?
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:19 am

Hydrops is an interesting thought. I do have a Vet close. We are close to the city so easy to get good and fast veterinarian care. I’m going to have him come look at her this weekend. I’ll google it but I’m curious if hydrops and retained placenta are connected?

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 am

Hpacres440p wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:48 am
Nesikep wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:37 pm
Perhaps not what you want to hear, but I'd ship her
I had a heifer lose a late term calf about a month early, I presumed due to eating pine needles (they do that when we get heavy snow and it weighs down the branches so they can reach them), she adopted a calf so she stayed around, but then aborted the next one in the fall, she went out on the next truck.. had to be one of my best looking heifers of course too and from a line that usually performed very well
Was there any reason or are some cattle just not able to sustain a pregnancy? Sounds similar to what a decision we are probably going to have to make...😕
I'm sure there's a reason, lost enough on her I didn't feel like spending more to find out, and then hold her longer to possibly test that theory

low selenium and retained placenta are related
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:53 am

Nesikep wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 am
Hpacres440p wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:48 am
Nesikep wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:37 pm
Perhaps not what you want to hear, but I'd ship her
I had a heifer lose a late term calf about a month early, I presumed due to eating pine needles (they do that when we get heavy snow and it weighs down the branches so they can reach them), she adopted a calf so she stayed around, but then aborted the next one in the fall, she went out on the next truck.. had to be one of my best looking heifers of course too and from a line that usually performed very well
Was there any reason or are some cattle just not able to sustain a pregnancy? Sounds similar to what a decision we are probably going to have to make...😕
I'm sure there's a reason, lost enough on her I didn't feel like spending more to find out, and then hold her longer to possibly test that theory

low selenium and retained placenta are related
It would be odd if she had a selenium issue tho wouldn’t it? 18 in our herd, all eating the same, all given the same supplements. I give selenium, but only at birth.

But on another topic I have 6 heifer calves I’m weaning this weekend. What’s the best month you’d say to sell them? I’d be posting them in Abbotsford.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:04 pm

Some have a bit different tolerance to low levels of minerals than others... If you aren't feeding selenium I would suspect you're low on it.
Best time to sell the calves is probably when the grass is starting to grow, for you, probably march-april
-Christopher Hitchens

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:30 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:04 pm
Some have a bit different tolerance to low levels of minerals than others... If you aren't feeding selenium I would suspect you're low on it.
Best time to sell the calves is probably when the grass is starting to grow, for you, probably march-april
Perfect. I’ll start the efforts in March.

I do feed them those mineral tubes from the coop feed store. I assume there is selenium in there. But I’ll read the label tomorrow.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:46 pm

There might be some, but probably not a whole lot.. I'd guess around 5-10mg/kg.. my loose mineral has 50-125mg/kg for comparison
-Christopher Hitchens

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:51 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:46 pm
There might be some, but probably not a whole lot.. I'd guess around 5-10mg/kg.. my loose mineral has 50-125mg/kg for comparison
Is it better for me to feed that over those molasses like tubes? It’s super expensive and they will eat it all day if I provided it. But it’s the only thing I see at the local feed places.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:35 pm

mix it equal parts with salt for a while at least, that'll slow them down a little
-Christopher Hitchens

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:36 pm

If a cow aborts here she never gets a second chance to do it. They must produce income every year even if it happens to be themself.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:40 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:36 pm
If a cow aborts here she never gets a second chance to do it. They must produce income every year even if it happens to be themself.
I'd like to adopt that, but losing one cow if I'm below stocking capacity puts me suddenly well below capacity and affects me for a couple years while I build back up.
-Christopher Hitchens

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:40 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
I'd like to adopt that, but losing one cow if I'm below stocking capacity puts me suddenly well below capacity and affects me for a couple years while I build back up.
For the value of the cull and what she would eat over the coming year you could purchase a bred replacement. This outfit was built on cheap cows. I still buy them when opportunity knocks. Just remember there is a difference between cheap and junk.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:19 pm

We've kinda had a closed herd here.. we haven't imported any females in 27 years, well, except for the PB Gelbvieh heifer I kinda snuck in... I had several culls that year, 65% bull calves, and only 2 of the heifer calves were from decent cows, so I kinda had to
-Christopher Hitchens

MurraysMutts
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by MurraysMutts » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:57 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:13 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:40 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
For the value of the cull and what she would eat over the coming year you could purchase a bred replacement. This outfit was built on cheap cows. I still buy them when opportunity knocks. Just remember there is a difference between cheap and junk.
I'm getting that way as well. I've kept 2 that lost their first calves. They've done straight by me since then.
I had one I bought this year abort very early for whatever reason. Down the #%@* road she went. Gone like yesterday. Dont miss her a bit!
I even had her pregged b4 I sold her. She had been with a bull up until sold. Sold open.
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....