Sick calf laying on side with legs stretched straight.

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Sick calf laying on side with legs stretched straight.

Post by greggy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:57 am

Yes, the weaten hay is very rich.....I limit it all, no hay is ad lib, but that does not mean the one that had pain had not knocked off more than she should have.

Am giving more of the oaten, it has far far less seed, and a lot more stalk. No wheaten today in fact.

We have a good pellet feed here that is medicated as a starter. If they are eating 2lbs, they can come off milk.

The other group was done this way, get rumen working, then transition from milk to other feeds whilst getting everything they need from the pellet. They thrived.

I will be careful with the wheaten hay, it could not help if they were having some other stomach upset, plus, more pellet is my aim, that is the key, could really just give chaffed straw with pellet.

The roughage is needed, but not to fill up on.

Wanted them to be off milk by now, but they are not consuming the pellet like the other group did, but is is improving, will watch for any change now moved to mostly oaten hay.

Is not scientific, cause other group is mainly angus, these are mainly Hereford, one baldy bull in each batch...the 3 baldy bulls you would think were related, co incidence possibly, but same disposition, good eaters, slow and calm 😀

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:45 am

I would caution using BoSe or MuSe AND Multimin. They are both SE & Vit E, but Multimin carries other 'goodies", so I would always give a shot to stressed animals (here).
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:33 am

We do not have medications available like they seem to be in US and other places....names used are different too for some things.

The injecting I would and will be doing is for common vaccinations.