Best breeding season

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Re: Best breeding season

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:06 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:07 pm
You cannot compare sheep to cattle. Lambs are born looking for a place to die. Calves are quite hardy in comparison.
I have to admit, I was chuckling when you were talking about it being down to 0. We have calves born down to 0, but it is 0 F no 0 C !!! All my calves are born in the barn, but the temp in the barn is the same as outdoors - they just don't have any wind to contend with. We get down to -15F or lower many nights during my calving season. Lots colder in many other places, but we do have a very moist cold here in NY. We do lose ear tips now and then - even have had a calf lose most of her tail from freezing - even in the barn.
If feeding isn't a concern, I would calve when it suited your convenience.
We pasture lamb in March. I would also lamb in other moderate months if I wanted to accelerate the rate. Most lambs are first touched at weaning when I weigh them unless I tag some along the way. If you deal with pampered breeds of sheep and do not apply selection pressure your old adage of "looking for a place to die" is true for any creature from goats, sorry cattle and dogs. It's all in the genes and management and sheep make a good companion flock in a herd. Just use your noggin on the selection and breeds.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Good point. I'm not looking to put sheep on my land ------- although ---- we were out hunting & my nephews came back and said "Aunty, I didn't know you were grazing the Amish' sheep. You have about 50 head on your hay fields" LOL. I had to drive around the block and let him know. We had some severe rains & the creek flooded out some of his fences. My 4-strand unheated hi-tensile didn't slow them down at all!!!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greggy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:00 am

I have hair sheep, Dorper mainly, you need either...

Netting, with a really low tight wire, and probably best with a barb at bottom as well, or an offset hot wire about 5 inches from ground, to stop them pushing head under fences, and it needs to be pretty high the fence as well.

or

pre fab like hinge joint, with smaller spacing at bottom, and prob a barb too at bottom, I just put some up and left bottom wire about an inch or so from the ground, and some will go to the middle between posts, and push head under.

Both need a hot wire at about knee height to keep them off any fence, as they will rub anywhere in seasons change to remove the hair.

So, yeah, 4 strands of anything, including hot wire, will not stop Dorper, or probably many wool sheep, they use the hair/wool to defeat hot wire, and some are so quick, they just run through it. Are your 4 barbs ?

I think 5 or 6 barb rows would probably stop most.

Net is prob best, it keeps most things out and most things in.

I am still working on the best fence for most creatures, on my internal hinge joint, I did as above, and going to ad a barb at bottom, above the pre fab is one plain wire, and very top is a hot wire instead of barb, this works great to train cattle not to put head over fences, it also means most keep away from gates then too, you can see they stay away from all fences, perimeter just has a knee high offset, and that works well to keep all off apart from small dogs and lambs, who are not pushing on the fence anyway, having low offsets is a pain if you need to mow or work there yourself.)