BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 883 times

BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am

There are 14 calves on the ground and there are 4 more cows to go. I was curious to run the numbers after the calf that was delivered yesterday.

Reina calved at dark. I got pictures this morning in the facility.

Reina is an Uno Mas cow.
Sire: Cowboy Cut
DOB: 10/06/2019
Gestation: 278 days
Heifer, 70 pounds.

Good set of EPDs. I am enrolled in THE so the calf is already registered in my herd book and I have the EPDs.
Image
Image
Image


Here are the to-date herd numbers:
Gestation: Range 270 to 291. Average 278.8 days. That is 7 days below average for Simmentals. Simmental gestation is 285 days.

Weight: Range 50 to 108. Average 78.8. That is ten pounds below my farm average. A significant factor is the influence of the twins at 50 and 55 pounds. Take them out as an anomaly and the average is 83.2 pounds birthweight. Which is still below my farm average of 87.5 pounds.

Ratio of Bulls to Heifers. 7 to 7. 50 percent.


"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 962
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 pm
Location: Waterville, Iowa
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Till-Hill » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 am

Average BW epd of sire's down from last year too? Mine were up this spring I'm pretty sure. Used a Canadian Red Angus bull and well Broadway's brother sired alot more than last year.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am

Till-Hill wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 am
Average BW epd of sire's down from last year too? Mine were up this spring I'm pretty sure. Used a Canadian Red Angus bull and well Broadway's brother sired alot more than last year.
Yes. They are down so no big surprise.
Broadway is one reason mine went down. I did not use him. He throws 100+ calves here.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 962
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 pm
Location: Waterville, Iowa
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Till-Hill » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:45 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am
Till-Hill wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 am
Average BW epd of sire's down from last year too? Mine were up this spring I'm pretty sure. Used a Canadian Red Angus bull and well Broadway's brother sired alot more than last year.
Yes. They are down so no big surprise.
Broadway is one reason mine went down. I did not use him. He throws 100+ calves here.
116# unassited heifer out of a SimAngus x Shorthorn

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:48 am

Till-Hill wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:45 am
Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:54 am
Till-Hill wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:39 am
Average BW epd of sire's down from last year too? Mine were up this spring I'm pretty sure. Used a Canadian Red Angus bull and well Broadway's brother sired alot more than last year.
Yes. They are down so no big surprise.
Broadway is one reason mine went down. I did not use him. He throws 100+ calves here.
116# unassited heifer out of a SimAngus x Shorthorn
I beat that last fall. 125# out of a SimAngus cow.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4150
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 764 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by TCRanch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:28 pm

Weather? I seem to recall you had lush pastures in the spring. I'm weaning next Sunday but my calves definitely seem larger than the last few years. Same sires but at least twice the average precipitation and a ton of grass. That said, we also started off with deathly (literally) cold.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:37 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:28 pm
Weather? I seem to recall you had lush pastures in the spring. I'm weaning next Sunday but my calves definitely seem larger than the last few years. Same sires but at least twice the average precipitation and a ton of grass. That said, we also started off with deathly (literally) cold.
Definitely. Weather has been a factor. This has been a much drier summer. However, I think Till-Hill made a good guess. I have dropped some of those bulls that have those big birthweights, as an example, Broadway.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1503
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 643 times
Been thanked: 256 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by snoopdog » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:55 pm

If its been dry through the last trimester, I can see it, but I wouldn't worry about it, if you have good hay.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:00 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:55 pm
If its been dry through the last trimester, I can see it, but I wouldn't worry about it, if you have good hay.
The last trimester was dry especially toward the last 6 weeks. I have good hay. I will be fine.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6353
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 412 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Son of Butch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am
There are 14 calves on the ground and there are 4 more cows to go.
Ratio of Bulls to Heifers. 7 to 7. 50 percent.
A little confused.
I assume you mean 8 bulls 6 heifers? for a ratio of 4:3 in favor of bulls.
Heifer calf b.w. is typically a few pounds lighter than bull calves.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am
There are 14 calves on the ground and there are 4 more cows to go.
Ratio of Bulls to Heifers. 7 to 7. 50 percent.
A little confused.
I assume you mean 8 bulls 6 heifers? for a ratio of 4:3 in favor of bulls.
Heifer calf b.w. is typically a few pounds lighter than bull calves.
I have observed that you are great with numbers.

Of the 14 calves born. Seven were bulls and seven were heifers. A 7 to 7 ratio is more properly represented as 1:1.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11145
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 590 times
Been thanked: 845 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:20 pm

You have to take the twins out of the equation - gestation length and BW. So, your lower average (right now) is not much of a difference. If you eliminate the twins, is your gestation length still considerably lower than Simm. of 285? From what others on this board has said, the extreme heat tends to make cows calve early. So, if your cows are calving earlier, your BW's will be lower. Mainly, I think you hit the main reason - less calves out of high BW SIRES.
New calf looks nice - yippee HEIFER!!
Waiting for my last fall cow to calve - due 10-22.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6353
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
Has thanked: 209 times
Been thanked: 412 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Son of Butch » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm
Son of Butch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:13 am
There are 14 calves on the ground and there are 4 more cows to go.
Ratio of Bulls to Heifers. 7 to 7. 50 percent.
A little confused.
I assume you mean 8 bulls 6 heifers? for a ratio of 4:3 in favor of bulls.
Heifer calf b.w. is typically a few pounds lighter than bull calves.
I have observed that you are great with numbers.

Of the 14 calves born. Seven were bulls and seven were heifers. A 7 to 7 ratio is more properly represented as 1:1.
Then why didn't you say 1:1? lol :)
I misread your 7. 50 percent as 7.5% and 8 of 14 is 57.14% or 7.14% above the mid point.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:04 pm
Son of Butch wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:44 pm

A little confused.
I assume you mean 8 bulls 6 heifers? for a ratio of 4:3 in favor of bulls.
Heifer calf b.w. is typically a few pounds lighter than bull calves.
I have observed that you are great with numbers.

Of the 14 calves born. Seven were bulls and seven were heifers. A 7 to 7 ratio is more properly represented as 1:1.
Then why didn't you say 1:1? lol :)
I misread your 7. 50 percent as 7.5% and 8 of 14 is 57.14% or 7.14% above the mid point.
Ahhh ha. Now I see what you were thinking. :cboy:
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 858 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: BW taking a 10 pound drop.

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:37 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:20 pm
You have to take the twins out of the equation - gestation length and BW. So, your lower average (right now) is not much of a difference. If you eliminate the twins, is your gestation length still considerably lower than Simm. of 285? From what others on this board has said, the extreme heat tends to make cows calve early. So, if your cows are calving earlier, your BW's will be lower. Mainly, I think you hit the main reason - less calves out of high BW SIRES.
New calf looks nice - yippee HEIFER!!
Waiting for my last fall cow to calve - due 10-22.
Taking the twins out of the equation raises the average gestation length to 280.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Post Reply