Breeding Fees

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Breeding Fees

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:18 pm

I "assumed" the vet checked and said she wasn't pregnant, so they lut to get her back in heat with bull??

Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ccr
Rancher
Rancher

Post by ccr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:26 pm

doesn't the lute cause them to abort? 3 lute injections in 4 months - i don't know anything about this and must be missing something.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm

ccr wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 pm
why was 3 lutalyse injections given? is this common procedure to use for a cow with a bull?
I would also question this, maybe one initially when she was put out to try and get things rolling but were subsequent ones given too hastily and caused the loss of some early embryos????

I agree some people did jump in a bit but you were not clear with what had happened and the opinion you sought. Don't be too hasty of your judgement of us.

Ken

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Post by jscunn » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:50 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:28 pm
ccr wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:11 pm
why was 3 lutalyse injections given? is this common procedure to use for a cow with a bull?
I would also question this, maybe one initially when she was put out to try and get things rolling but were subsequent ones given too hastily and caused the loss of some early embryos????

I agree some people did jump in a bit but you were not clear with what had happened and the opinion you sought. Don't be too hasty of your judgement of us.

Ken
[/quote

Ken,
I had the same questions, at what point in the pregnancy can ultrasound detect (~30 days) what if the embryo was less than 30 days old, you give a shot and flush that one out, then you repeated that process 2 more times. I might have given the first one but after that I would have let the bull do his thing without more drugs. One question for the Missouri doc, put yourself in the buyer shoes. You have a cow calf pair you just bought, at 4 months the cow should already be a month pregnant and then she doesn't get pregnant in how many more months? Then the owner wants to charge you for the drugs that might have kept her from getting pregnant? Not this guy.... nope.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:39 am

My question would be, why the cow wasn’t already bred back if calf was 4 months old at time of purchase?
https://doddscattle.com/
Dodds Cattle

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:06 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:39 am
My question would be, why the cow wasn’t already bred back if calf was 4 months old at time of purchase?
I asked the same question. I don't think the OP wants to hear our thoughts.
Even if he posted the info wrong, and the cow had a newborn calf by her side, he spent 4 months with the help of a vet to get her bred.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."