Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Post Reply
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8868
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:34 am

I purchased a small herd from a retiring 85 year old. Cattle were not managed much in recent years. Included is a nice looking long yearling with a new calf. She weighs 750#. Our bulls were turned out yesterday, but I don't expect her to rebred in season. What is best option - - pull calf now and hope she cycles. or wean him later and just cull the yearling, or ?


Stocker Steve

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3001
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by Lucky_P » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 am

Steve,
Once she's 20 days or more post-calving, you could give a shot of GnRH, put in a CIDR for 7 days, pull it and give a shot of prostaglandin, and let the bull have her.
https://www.agweb.com/article/use-proge ... ws-release

User avatar
Dsth
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:33 pm
Location: eastern Iowa
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by Dsth » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am

It depends on how valuable she is to you. You could sell as a cow/calf pair now, or let her raise her calf and sell if she doesn't breed early enough to fit your calving season. You can try Lucky_Ps suggestion which would be great if that works for you, but if she is 750 lbs. and a long yearling, I would expect her not to start cycling even with treatment. It would certainly be worth a try though. good luck.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8868
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Lucky_P wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 am
Steve,
Once she's 20 days or more post-calving, you could give a shot of GnRH, put in a CIDR for 7 days, pull it and give a shot of prostaglandin, and let the bull have her.
https://www.agweb.com/article/use-proge ... ws-release
She is in good condition now, but given her size, I am inclined to also pull the calf after 27 days. Any thoughts on how this would effect the CIDR sync results?
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4753
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Has thanked: 108 times
Been thanked: 215 times
Contact:

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:37 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:56 pm
Lucky_P wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:08 am
Steve,
Once she's 20 days or more post-calving, you could give a shot of GnRH, put in a CIDR for 7 days, pull it and give a shot of prostaglandin, and let the bull have her.
https://www.agweb.com/article/use-proge ... ws-release
She is in good condition now, but given her size, I am inclined to also pull the calf after 27 days. Any thoughts on how this would effect the CIDR sync results?
If she is in good condition, throw her on good grass with a bull and let the chips fall where they will. Bet she cycles within the next couple months. If not she will sell decent as heiferette.
cor durum laborem

southalberta
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by southalberta » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:51 pm

Give her a shot of cystorelin, keep her and her calf close for a few days (some extra treats wouldn’t hurt) until hormones balance out and let her back with herd

southalberta
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:01 pm
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by southalberta » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Addition. Strongly advise having her with “a buddy” so she isn’t alone and totally segregated

User avatar
Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2683
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:43 am
Location: SW MO
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:16 am

southalberta wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:51 pm
Give her a shot of cystorelin, keep her and her calf close for a few days (some extra treats wouldn’t hurt) until hormones balance out and let her back with herd
Please enlighten my on how with will work in it of itself? A non-cycling lactating young heifer will have no activity on her ovaries at this point. Cystorelin is a drug that makes the animal drop any oocytes that might be forming. If she is non-cycling, Cystorelin will do nothing. In a non-cycling female, the best course of action is a CiDR for at least 7 days, then follow up with lute/estrumate. Even that may not work, depending on the heifer, body condition score, health, and how much she is lactating.
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 369 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by Ebenezer » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:33 am

She will not be worth much at the barn now. Just let her raise the calf, see if it is within 90% of the herd WW ratio so you can know to keep her. If it is a dink, let her fatten and then sell her. Otherwise let nature take the course. All of the extra work for a questionable animal is too much cost and effort for me.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1714
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 561 times
Been thanked: 498 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by Silver » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:04 pm

When this happens here if I like the heifer I let the heifer raise the calf, winter her and turn her out with the bulls the following spring. Not sure why I'd want to cull her. By the time they have their second calf they are back in sync with the rest of the herd and have had the same number of calves.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3907
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 247 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by TCRanch » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Silver wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:04 pm
When this happens here if I like the heifer I let the heifer raise the calf, winter her and turn her out with the bulls the following spring. Not sure why I'd want to cull her. By the time they have their second calf they are back in sync with the rest of the herd and have had the same number of calves.
That's exactly what I did with my heifer with the Oops Baby last year. And I did put her back with the heifers this year. She should be bred by now & back on schedule.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: Long Yearling MaMa "Cow" ?

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:05 pm

I will echo Arron.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Post Reply