Coat?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Coat?

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 01, 2019 8:42 am

May be an ignorant post... but I was on a website of an operation that I greatly admire. It stated that they score the cows coats in June because...

“Data has shown that cows that successfully slick off each year can wean calves that are more than 60lbs heavier than cows that don't completely shed their winter hair coats.”

When I go to pasture, I can’t recollect any cow that hasn’t done such by then but that statement has peaked my curiosity. I do know others have stated that coats at yearling can fortell breeding chances.

So could we dedicate this post to discussion of our cattle’s coats? Have you learned or practiced or made culling decisions based off your cows coat?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Coat?

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:42 am
May be an ignorant post... but I was on a website of an operation that I greatly admire. It stated that they score the cows coats in June because...

“Data has shown that cows that successfully slick off each year can wean calves that are more than 60lbs heavier than cows that don't completely shed their winter hair coats.”

When I go to pasture, I can’t recollect any cow that hasn’t done such by then but that statement has peaked my curiosity. I do know others have stated that coats at yearling can fortell breeding chances.

So could we dedicate this post to discussion of our cattle’s coats? Have you learned or practiced or made culling decisions based off your cows coat?
That is an interesting factoid.
My question is it breed specific?

Regional specific?
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 01, 2019 9:00 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 am
NEFarmwife wrote:

That is an interesting factoid.
My question is it breed specific?

Regional specific?
Good question. I’m very curious myself. This was a black angus website out of SD.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 01, 2019 9:02 am

I guess I should have looked to UNL again for all the answers... this makes sense. This is a calf shedding it’s coat but same info could be applied to a cow.

https://newsroom.unl.edu/announce/beef/7865/45836

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am

https://www.bonsmara.org.au/admin/files ... _breed.pdf
Insightful read. See page 20 for his thoughts on hormonal status as reflected by shedding.
Difficult to obtain and hence pricey but I heartily recommend Bonsma's Man Must Measure

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed May 01, 2019 12:07 pm

Coat/shedding matters on fescue. No fuzzies need apply here.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Wed May 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Fire Sweep Simmentals should participate here. Her cattle are enrolled in a several year study on the relationship of shedding to fescue toxicity. Where she lives has some of the highest endophyte toxin levels in the nation. The problem being analyzed : what is the relationship of shedding efficiency to susceptibility to endophyte toxins. The theory is that it can be related to genetics or toxins in fescue.

Edited to add: I think they also score her cows in June. Theoretically, unless caused by toxin or genetics, your cows should have made progress in being shed out by June.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 01, 2019 1:42 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am
https://www.bonsmara.org.au/admin/files ... _breed.pdf
Insightful read. See page 20 for his thoughts on hormonal status as reflected by shedding.
Difficult to obtain and hence pricey but I heartily recommend Bonsma's Man Must Measure
Thanks for the link.... I’m gonna have to sit down and read all of this, by the looks of it. I just quickly glazed over it. Interesting stuff.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 01, 2019 2:16 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:

From what I understand the AAA is putting a lot of emphasis into shedding and we could see an EPD coming out in a year or two, because we need more data we can't trust. Another EPD, that will be useless, because of environments and operations.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed May 01, 2019 2:47 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:16 pm
NEFarmwife wrote:

From what I understand the AAA is putting a lot of emphasis into shedding and we could see an EPD coming out in a year or two, because we need more data we can't trust. Another EPD, that will be useless, because of environments and operations.
Another EPD that won't have much accuracy and some people will take as the gospel.

A lot of it depends on if the cows have good spots to rub on too, I could see these brushing machines being put up on every corner in some places

My bull is really shedding out now, comes out by the handful.. Cows are hit and miss, and I can't say that the cows that shed out early are better milkers... I do have some families that have very straight hair and some that have curly hair, the straight haired ones are few, but I do like them and they raise fine calves
Momma and daughter

yearling daughter

Daughter and granddaughter

Another problem is who's going to determine what's "better"? Shedding out early might be good for the southern cows, but might be bad for one in the north when you get a foot of snow darned near close to May (We've never seen that before have we??)
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed May 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Meanwhile these two fuzzies are sisters to the momma above, didn't keep the roan one (kinda wish I had) but the tan one is a top producer

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Wed May 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks for the link.... I’m gonna have to sit down and read all of this, by the looks of it. I just quickly glazed over it. Interesting stuff.
Glad you appreciated it.

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Wed May 01, 2019 5:26 pm

interesting idea - never really thought about that as a factor, though in general a nice slick animal would be considered to be in good health so just that aspect makes sense.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm

What if they have some Galloway in their breeding? I always heard that those that didn't shed as quickly was a sign of worms. I don't know that it is true but I do know the years I did a better job of worming they seemed to shed better.

hornedfrogbbq
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Wed May 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Our cattle wear faux fur coats...wink.