Coat?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Coat?

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 01, 2019 8:42 am

May be an ignorant post... but I was on a website of an operation that I greatly admire. It stated that they score the cows coats in June because...

“Data has shown that cows that successfully slick off each year can wean calves that are more than 60lbs heavier than cows that don't completely shed their winter hair coats.”

When I go to pasture, I can’t recollect any cow that hasn’t done such by then but that statement has peaked my curiosity. I do know others have stated that coats at yearling can fortell breeding chances.

So could we dedicate this post to discussion of our cattle’s coats? Have you learned or practiced or made culling decisions based off your cows coat?



User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24180
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 534 times

Re: Coat?

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:42 am
May be an ignorant post... but I was on a website of an operation that I greatly admire. It stated that they score the cows coats in June because...

“Data has shown that cows that successfully slick off each year can wean calves that are more than 60lbs heavier than cows that don't completely shed their winter hair coats.”

When I go to pasture, I can’t recollect any cow that hasn’t done such by then but that statement has peaked my curiosity. I do know others have stated that coats at yearling can fortell breeding chances.

So could we dedicate this post to discussion of our cattle’s coats? Have you learned or practiced or made culling decisions based off your cows coat?
That is an interesting factoid.
My question is it breed specific?

Regional specific?
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Coat?

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 01, 2019 9:00 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:48 am
NEFarmwife wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:42 am
May be an ignorant post... but I was on a website of an operation that I greatly admire. It stated that they score the cows coats in June because...

“Data has shown that cows that successfully slick off each year can wean calves that are more than 60lbs heavier than cows that don't completely shed their winter hair coats.”

When I go to pasture, I can’t recollect any cow that hasn’t done such by then but that statement has peaked my curiosity. I do know others have stated that coats at yearling can fortell breeding chances.

So could we dedicate this post to discussion of our cattle’s coats? Have you learned or practiced or made culling decisions based off your cows coat?
That is an interesting factoid.
My question is it breed specific?

Regional specific?
Good question. I’m very curious myself. This was a black angus website out of SD.

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Coat?

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 01, 2019 9:02 am

I guess I should have looked to UNL again for all the answers... this makes sense. This is a calf shedding it’s coat but same info could be applied to a cow.

https://newsroom.unl.edu/announce/beef/7865/45836

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Coat?

Post by 76 Bar » Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am

https://www.bonsmara.org.au/admin/files ... _breed.pdf
Insightful read. See page 20 for his thoughts on hormonal status as reflected by shedding.
Difficult to obtain and hence pricey but I heartily recommend Bonsma's Man Must Measure

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1746
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 179 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: Coat?

Post by Ebenezer » Wed May 01, 2019 12:07 pm

Coat/shedding matters on fescue. No fuzzies need apply here.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9918
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 586 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: Coat?

Post by Bright Raven » Wed May 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Fire Sweep Simmentals should participate here. Her cattle are enrolled in a several year study on the relationship of shedding to fescue toxicity. Where she lives has some of the highest endophyte toxin levels in the nation. The problem being analyzed : what is the relationship of shedding efficiency to susceptibility to endophyte toxins. The theory is that it can be related to genetics or toxins in fescue.

Edited to add: I think they also score her cows in June. Theoretically, unless caused by toxin or genetics, your cows should have made progress in being shed out by June.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: Coat?

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 01, 2019 1:42 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am
https://www.bonsmara.org.au/admin/files ... _breed.pdf
Insightful read. See page 20 for his thoughts on hormonal status as reflected by shedding.
Difficult to obtain and hence pricey but I heartily recommend Bonsma's Man Must Measure
Thanks for the link.... I’m gonna have to sit down and read all of this, by the looks of it. I just quickly glazed over it. Interesting stuff.

User avatar
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 387
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Location: Southwest Washington
Has thanked: 189 times
Been thanked: 214 times

Re: Coat?

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 01, 2019 2:16 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:42 am
May be an ignorant post... but I was on a website of an operation that I greatly admire. It stated that they score the cows coats in June because...

“Data has shown that cows that successfully slick off each year can wean calves that are more than 60lbs heavier than cows that don't completely shed their winter hair coats.”

When I go to pasture, I can’t recollect any cow that hasn’t done such by then but that statement has peaked my curiosity. I do know others have stated that coats at yearling can fortell breeding chances.

So could we dedicate this post to discussion of our cattle’s coats? Have you learned or practiced or made culling decisions based off your cows coat?
From what I understand the AAA is putting a lot of emphasis into shedding and we could see an EPD coming out in a year or two, because we need more data we can't trust. Another EPD, that will be useless, because of environments and operations.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14727
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 597 times
Been thanked: 457 times

Re: Coat?

Post by Nesikep » Wed May 01, 2019 2:47 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:16 pm
NEFarmwife wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:42 am
May be an ignorant post... but I was on a website of an operation that I greatly admire. It stated that they score the cows coats in June because...

“Data has shown that cows that successfully slick off each year can wean calves that are more than 60lbs heavier than cows that don't completely shed their winter hair coats.”

When I go to pasture, I can’t recollect any cow that hasn’t done such by then but that statement has peaked my curiosity. I do know others have stated that coats at yearling can fortell breeding chances.

So could we dedicate this post to discussion of our cattle’s coats? Have you learned or practiced or made culling decisions based off your cows coat?
From what I understand the AAA is putting a lot of emphasis into shedding and we could see an EPD coming out in a year or two, because we need more data we can't trust. Another EPD, that will be useless, because of environments and operations.
Another EPD that won't have much accuracy and some people will take as the gospel.

A lot of it depends on if the cows have good spots to rub on too, I could see these brushing machines being put up on every corner in some places


My bull is really shedding out now, comes out by the handful.. Cows are hit and miss, and I can't say that the cows that shed out early are better milkers... I do have some families that have very straight hair and some that have curly hair, the straight haired ones are few, but I do like them and they raise fine calves
Momma and daughter
Image

yearling daughter
Image

Daughter and granddaughter
Image


Another problem is who's going to determine what's "better"? Shedding out early might be good for the southern cows, but might be bad for one in the north when you get a foot of snow darned near close to May (We've never seen that before have we??)
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14727
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 597 times
Been thanked: 457 times

Re: Coat?

Post by Nesikep » Wed May 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Meanwhile these two fuzzies are sisters to the momma above, didn't keep the roan one (kinda wish I had) but the tan one is a top producer

Image

Image
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Coat?

Post by 76 Bar » Wed May 01, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks for the link.... I’m gonna have to sit down and read all of this, by the looks of it. I just quickly glazed over it. Interesting stuff.
Glad you appreciated it.

User avatar
Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:38 pm
Location: Arizona
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: Coat?

Post by Hippie Rancher » Wed May 01, 2019 5:26 pm

interesting idea - never really thought about that as a factor, though in general a nice slick animal would be considered to be in good health so just that aspect makes sense.

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7694
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 278 times

Re: Coat?

Post by Dave » Wed May 01, 2019 5:56 pm

What if they have some Galloway in their breeding? I always heard that those that didn't shed as quickly was a sign of worms. I don't know that it is true but I do know the years I did a better job of worming they seemed to shed better.

hornedfrogbbq
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Coat?

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Wed May 01, 2019 7:11 pm

Our cattle wear faux fur coats...wink.

Post Reply