Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 587 times
Been thanked: 565 times

Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2913
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:16 am
Location: Palmyra, TN
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by TN Cattle Man » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 pm

Why the c-section? Cow looks to be big enough and the calf doesn't look all that big... how much did the calf weigh? Were there other complications?
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 pm
Why the c-section? Cow looks to be big enough and the calf doesn't look all that big... how much did the calf weigh? Were there other complications?

Calf was upside down and forward. They can be tricky to right without breaking the umbilical cord. It takes me an hour to put a side door in and sew it up. Both are doing well. Practiced two weeks ago on a big calf out of a little heifer
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9921
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 587 times
Been thanked: 565 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:20 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm
TN Cattle Man wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 pm
Why the c-section? Cow looks to be big enough and the calf doesn't look all that big... how much did the calf weigh? Were there other complications?

Calf was upside down and forward. They can be tricky to right without breaking the umbilical cord. It takes me an hour to put a side door in and sew it up. Both are doing well. Practiced two weeks ago on a big calf out of a little heifer
Dave, congratulations. Do you always wear that plaid wool cap. Lol
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 568 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm

That's excellent, I'd like to learn how to do a C -section on a cow. I'm all ears if you want to share how and why.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 568 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:23 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 pm
We did one once. All the vets in 5 counties were gone on a large animal conference. No other options. Got a dead calf out and the heifer lived 2 days and died
I can do that good, you can only go up from there Hook.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

uplandnut
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:43 pm
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by uplandnut » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Very impressive gcrkranch. I can't even imagine doing that as green to the cattle world as I am.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia
Has thanked: 328 times
Been thanked: 201 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by Redgully » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Well, done. Always good when being proactive works out. We had our first ever cesarean last year, was a stinking hot day. Calf was upside down with a leg back. Calf was alive and cow marked to cull.....then i got curious if she could breed back and calf ok. Soooo she just calved 3 weeks past 12 months on her own unassisted. She was always a good cow calving easy every year.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm
That's excellent, I'd like to learn how to do a C -section on a cow. I'm all ears if you want to share how and why.
Clip them clean, wash lots with some kind of iodine based disinfectant, don’t get in a rush and use lots of penicillin. You should also sew the uterus up twice. Once to close the incision and then fold the incision inward and sew again to stop leakage.


A scalpel, surgical scissors, a forceps a curved needle and a big S curved needle for the hide is the extent of the tools I use. Freeze with Duracaine use #3 catgut for stitching and again, use lots of pen.

I was fortunate to be growing up when Continental cattle first hit the country and everyone was breeding 1000 lb Hereford cows to elephants. I stopped at the vet clinic whenever there was a vehicle backed up to the chute. Later, after I did my first, ( saved calf, cow died of peritonitis) I had two old friends who had done many of them and would answer the finer points I asked. I have about 100 behind me now.


Use lots of penicillin!
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:20 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm
TN Cattle Man wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 pm
Why the c-section? Cow looks to be big enough and the calf doesn't look all that big... how much did the calf weigh? Were there other complications?

Calf was upside down and forward. They can be tricky to right without breaking the umbilical cord. It takes me an hour to put a side door in and sew it up. Both are doing well. Practiced two weeks ago on a big calf out of a little heifer

Dave, congratulations. Do you always wear that plaid wool cap. Lol
I have two of them! Switch off when one gets sweaty and needs drying. Wear from fall to late spring and on cold, rainy days in summer.

A good black felt for weddings, rodeos and funerals and numerous caps that cost lots but the bulls were free to work in.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14727
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 597 times
Been thanked: 458 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by Nesikep » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Great set of pics and description!
Last one that had a C section here, it was too late for the calf but she did fine after, adopted another calf and bred back, sold her in the fall though.. I didn't notice the vet using any penicillin, just gave a shot of draxxin after.

I had enough "teaching moments" this year with my prolapse.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4456
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by wbvs58 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:37 am

The thing that I appreciated the most in those photos Dave was the chair. Good series of photos though.

Ken

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 568 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:57 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm
That's excellent, I'd like to learn how to do a C -section on a cow. I'm all ears if you want to share how and why.
Clip them clean, wash lots with some kind of iodine based disinfectant, don’t get in a rush and use lots of penicillin. You should also sew the uterus up twice. Once to close the incision and then fold the incision inward and sew again to stop leakage.


A scalpel, surgical scissors, a forceps a curved needle and a big S curved needle for the hide is the extent of the tools I use. Freeze with Duracaine use #3 catgut for stitching and again, use lots of pen.

I was fortunate to be growing up when Continental cattle first hit the country and everyone was breeding 1000 lb Hereford cows to elephants. I stopped at the vet clinic whenever there was a vehicle backed up to the chute. Later, after I did my first, ( saved calf, cow died of peritonitis) I had two old friends who had done many of them and would answer the finer points I asked. I have about 100 behind me now.


Use lots of penicillin!
Thank you, lot's of penicillin got that, do you always pull the calf out rear legs first?
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10546
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 353 times
Been thanked: 516 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 am

I think C-section has always been more prevalent in Canada than across the border.
I personally, have never had one and don't think I know anyone that has had one done. Hasn't been quite 50 years yet, but close!!! LOL
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 295 times
Been thanked: 298 times

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by gcreekrch » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:37 am
The thing that I appreciated the most in those photos Dave was the chair. Good series of photos though.

Ken
Some would say smart move but I will admit I've gotten older and lazier! Thanks Ken.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Post Reply