Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:56 pm

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Re: Gcrkranch caesarean delivery

Post by TN Cattle Man » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 pm

Why the c-section? Cow looks to be big enough and the calf doesn't look all that big... how much did the calf weigh? Were there other complications?
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:14 pm
Why the c-section? Cow looks to be big enough and the calf doesn't look all that big... how much did the calf weigh? Were there other complications?

Calf was upside down and forward. They can be tricky to right without breaking the umbilical cord. It takes me an hour to put a side door in and sew it up. Both are doing well. Practiced two weeks ago on a big calf out of a little heifer
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:20 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm
TN Cattle Man wrote:

Calf was upside down and forward. They can be tricky to right without breaking the umbilical cord. It takes me an hour to put a side door in and sew it up. Both are doing well. Practiced two weeks ago on a big calf out of a little heifer
Dave, congratulations. Do you always wear that plaid wool cap. Lol
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm

That's excellent, I'd like to learn how to do a C -section on a cow. I'm all ears if you want to share how and why.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:23 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:06 pm
We did one once. All the vets in 5 counties were gone on a large animal conference. No other options. Got a dead calf out and the heifer lived 2 days and died
I can do that good, you can only go up from there Hook.

uplandnut
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by uplandnut » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Very impressive gcrkranch. I can't even imagine doing that as green to the cattle world as I am.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Well, done. Always good when being proactive works out. We had our first ever cesarean last year, was a stinking hot day. Calf was upside down with a leg back. Calf was alive and cow marked to cull.....then i got curious if she could breed back and calf ok. Soooo she just calved 3 weeks past 12 months on her own unassisted. She was always a good cow calving easy every year.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm
That's excellent, I'd like to learn how to do a C -section on a cow. I'm all ears if you want to share how and why.
Clip them clean, wash lots with some kind of iodine based disinfectant, don’t get in a rush and use lots of penicillin. You should also sew the uterus up twice. Once to close the incision and then fold the incision inward and sew again to stop leakage.

A scalpel, surgical scissors, a forceps a curved needle and a big S curved needle for the hide is the extent of the tools I use. Freeze with Duracaine use #3 catgut for stitching and again, use lots of pen.

I was fortunate to be growing up when Continental cattle first hit the country and everyone was breeding 1000 lb Hereford cows to elephants. I stopped at the vet clinic whenever there was a vehicle backed up to the chute. Later, after I did my first, ( saved calf, cow died of peritonitis) I had two old friends who had done many of them and would answer the finer points I asked. I have about 100 behind me now.

Use lots of penicillin!

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:20 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:19 pm
TN Cattle Man wrote:

Dave, congratulations. Do you always wear that plaid wool cap. Lol
I have two of them! Switch off when one gets sweaty and needs drying. Wear from fall to late spring and on cold, rainy days in summer.

A good black felt for weddings, rodeos and funerals and numerous caps that cost lots but the bulls were free to work in.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:52 pm

Great set of pics and description!
Last one that had a C section here, it was too late for the calf but she did fine after, adopted another calf and bred back, sold her in the fall though.. I didn't notice the vet using any penicillin, just gave a shot of draxxin after.

I had enough "teaching moments" this year with my prolapse.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:37 am

The thing that I appreciated the most in those photos Dave was the chair. Good series of photos though.

Ken

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:57 am

gcreekrch wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:00 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:00 pm
Clip them clean, wash lots with some kind of iodine based disinfectant, don’t get in a rush and use lots of penicillin. You should also sew the uterus up twice. Once to close the incision and then fold the incision inward and sew again to stop leakage.

A scalpel, surgical scissors, a forceps a curved needle and a big S curved needle for the hide is the extent of the tools I use. Freeze with Duracaine use #3 catgut for stitching and again, use lots of pen.

I was fortunate to be growing up when Continental cattle first hit the country and everyone was breeding 1000 lb Hereford cows to elephants. I stopped at the vet clinic whenever there was a vehicle backed up to the chute. Later, after I did my first, ( saved calf, cow died of peritonitis) I had two old friends who had done many of them and would answer the finer points I asked. I have about 100 behind me now.

Use lots of penicillin!
Thank you, lot's of penicillin got that, do you always pull the calf out rear legs first?

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:22 am

I think C-section has always been more prevalent in Canada than across the border.
I personally, have never had one and don't think I know anyone that has had one done. Hasn't been quite 50 years yet, but close!!! LOL
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:19 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:37 am
The thing that I appreciated the most in those photos Dave was the chair. Good series of photos though.

Ken
Some would say smart move but I will admit I've gotten older and lazier! Thanks Ken.