Should I cull?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Should I cull?

Post by Richnm » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:58 pm

15 year old Leachman Right Time daughter. Was in decent shape last summer/fall then had caught some lice. I took care of the lice but she had lost a lot of condition. Nerveless she calved fine and calf was healthy, 6 weeks ago. She gained some weight back but obviously is not where she was and her bag seems not full in all quarters. Here are some pics first pic was before the lice. https://postimg.cc/gallery/2qwih3mso/. Best cow I have , slaughter weight would only be about $700. I was gonna ai her one more time. Now unsure


“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by snoopdog » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 pm

Your link doesn't work for me, but if she calved on time I'd definitely let her raise the calf. You don't give a location which really helps those that want to help. Being lousy is definitely not a reason to cull, maybe something else is going on, maybe pull a blood sample.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Richnm » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:24 pm

Try link again. South of Albuquerque. Bottom pic was before lice. Was thinking since I am gonna let her raise the calf, I should ai her along with the rest.
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by snoopdog » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:45 pm

Her bag looks fine to me, feed her, she'll be fine IMO.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Richnm » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Never had a cow get lice as bad as she did. I have her with a few older ones in a pen now. 10 pounds of grain each a day, 10 pounds of leafy alfalfa 2 times a day , and unlimited hay in feeders.
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12803
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:58 pm

I’d let this be her last calf if she were mine.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 337 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Nesikep » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:16 am

I have some that are more prone to lice than others.. She's a fine looking cow when she's in good shape..
If you're going to AI her for another calf and the one she has this year doesn't perform as hoped, I'd wean it early and try and let her get some condition before winter.. make the call to keep her or not in the fall
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Richnm » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:05 am

Ever had a cow lose serious condition from lice ?
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10089
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 114 times
Been thanked: 225 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:52 pm

No, I have never had a cow lose condition due to lice. But, I treat for lice.
Have you checked her teeth?
Bag looks like she is milking fine.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14364
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 337 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Nesikep » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:04 pm

My fleabags seem to stay in fine condition, but it's possible she also has internal parasites that are far more taxing
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Richnm » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 pm

I wormed her twice she seemed to put most the weight back on. Teeth are 15 years old and not the best. So now she is 100% hay fed. Her calf is much smaller than all my other calves. Maybe it was worms/parasites .
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1477
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Navarro County, Texas
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by bird dog » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 am

She is becoming one of those that cost you money even though still functioning as a working cow should. Her calves will become poorer as she goes. I would consider shipping her and replacing with a newer model.

Most of these older type cows get to where they won't breed back on time but I guess you can get away from that with AI.

All seemingly small problems like lice, worms and fly's are a lot harder on these old girls.

I would let her raise that one out and ship her. At 15 you more than got your moneys worth.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2444
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by farmerjan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:04 pm

How about trying to flush her or get some embryos out of her. Let her raise this calf, don't breed back yet, then let her get some condition back, and then if she is that good of a cow, get some embryos, or ovacytes, and freeze or implant them in a couple of recip cows. Then you can make a decision, and she will be in better shape. Frankly, she is at the end of her "best years", but still might be able to rebreed after doing some "et" work. She will have had a break from continual calving. She has a pretty good udder for her age.....
How many of her heifer calves are in the herd? Have they preformed as good as her? If so then a round or two of harvesting eggs might be the best way to go and the easiest for her too.

Richnm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Richnm » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:36 am

She has had 3 bull calves in a row. I thought about embryos. That would be cheaper than buying registered cows. I have a few Jerseys I could use for receipts. No heifers
“Epd’s mean nothing without feed, feed your dam cows.”

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5837
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 165 times

Re: Should I cull?

Post by Son of Butch » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:46 am

Richnm wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 pm
I wormed her twice she seemed to put most the weight back on. Teeth are 15 years old and not the best. So now she is 100% hay fed. Her calf is much smaller than all my other calves. Maybe it was worms/parasites .
SHIP 'EM ALL TO SOUTH SAINT PAUL.

O.K. looks like my age is showing... but seriously don't make excuses, cash her out in September
or sooner if you think the calf will bring a premium as cow/calf pair. She ain't gonna improve with
more age, reinvest the money in one that will.

Post Reply