Coyote or dog attack

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Coyote or dog attack

Post by JW IN VA » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 pm

Neighbor stopped by today.Found a newborn calf minus a tail and lacerations to the rear legs.

I was always told coyotes go for the throat and dogs attack the rear.

Any experience would be welcome.

Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Coyote or dog attack

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:40 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 pm
Neighbor stopped by today.Found a newborn calf minus a tail and lacerations to the rear legs.

I was always told coyotes go for the throat and dogs attack the rear.

Any experience would be welcome.
In my experience dogs kill and coyotes eat. Coyotes are cowards, dogs are too stupid to be when taking on the cow.
If you can find tracks dog and coyote are not the same. Coyote track is more oblong and you can draw an X without touching a pad print, dog you can’t it’s more rounded.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Post by M.Magis » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:58 am

Coyotes don’t go for the throat, they bite what they can get their teeth on. Missing tail but not eaten sure sounds like dogs.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:22 am

Sounds like that is more like the work of a dog. Coyotes will go for throat, flanks, and like a previous post said anything the can get a hold of, but usually results in the animal being killed and eaten. Dogs just do damage that can result in death or seriously maimed animals that have to be destroyed.
I would add if it is in an area where dogs are frequently seen running around, that is likely the culprit. In our area we are heavily populated with coyotes and since that has happened roaming dogs are very seldom seen anymore.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:44 am

If it had been coyotes, he probably wouldn’t have found that calf. Just some hairy be nice later

Davemk
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Davemk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Coyote

Davemk
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Davemk » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:06 pm

Coyotes will catch cows having a calf and eat the rear of the calf. BIL and sister lost 5 or 6 in Bourbon Co. 3 years ago.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:23 pm

good luck with figuring out who did to the calf. It could be coyotes or dogs.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by JW IN VA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:59 pm

A coyote was seen in the same field a day or two before.I'm pretty sure it was probably done by one of them.Had one or two killed by them this year.First one I can't say if it was killed or died then eaten.Second one I'm most sure.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Your coyotes must be different than ours. I occasionally see them walking among the cows catching mice and the cows barely notice. Except for the longhorns.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:16 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm
Your coyotes must be different than ours. I occasionally see them walking among the cows catching mice and the cows barely notice. Except for the longhorns.
We had one last year that showed up every day after we fed, eating any residule cubes/dust & cow poop. Wandered among the cows & bulls like he owned the place, the cattle pretty much ignored him. We were getting close to calving & decided he needed to go but never could get a good shot so we called one of our neighbors that was a sniper in the military & that dang 'yote evidently sensed something was up, never showed when our neighbor was here but would make a reappearance. When we started calving the coyote was gone. Presumably the mamas ran him off? But we never saw him again and (knock wood!) have never lost a calf to one.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 am

If you have a coyote that does not bother anything the worst thing you can do is kill it. Another will take over the territory and it may or may not bother things.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:05 am

The coyotes are hard on our sheep especially during the spring and fall. Trapping has really helped cut down on the kills.

I agree with the statements above about coyotes eating what they kill. Generally when we have a coyote kill you will only find some tuffs of wool and blood. When dogs attack we usually find 2 or 3 dead sheep that haven’t been eaten. It’s a game to dogs.

Another thing to keep in mind is if dogs did the killing they need to be gotten rid of. Once a dog starts killing livestock they will not stop. We have had dogs we tied up for killing sheep. 2 years later they get loose and go straight to the field to kill more sheep.

Our cattle on the other hand are very defensive when it comes to canines. I don’t even take my dog with me to the field anymore. Last year my neighbor was walking his part pit bull and came over to the pasture to talk to me. The dog made its way over by the cows and it was on. I finally got the dog out of the field before they killed him but they were charging him and trying to stomp him. I was actually glad to see this.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:41 am

kenny thomas wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:56 am
If you have a coyote that does not bother anything the worst thing you can do is kill it. Another will take over the territory and it may or may not bother things.
It's that 50/50 chance thing. That 'good coyote' goes on to breed and how many of her pups are going to be 'good coyotes' and how many are going to be bad coyotes?
I have more bullets than there are coyotes in this county.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:42 am

FWIW My :2cents:
Coyotes are cowardly opportunists, beneficial to the eco system and highly adaptable survivors. Its a proven fact that aggressive attempts to terminate them is extremely counterproductive. As noted above, my cattle (who are very protective) pay scant attention to coyotes cautiously scavenging amongst them. Altogether different story when my stock dogs are present and yes they are dog broke and because the dogs are well trained I rely on them to assist me during tagging & weighing. YMMV
IMO Coyotes are a handy scape goat for man's cattle mgt screw ups.
For obvious reasons, sheep are a different deal altogether and in most cases nesesitate 24/7 protection via LGD's etc.
As to who to blame in the death of the calf...you needed to be at the scene but I'd put my money on dog(s). Lost several registered cows, pairs and yrlg replacements a number of years back. All signs (extreme harassment, bodies covered in bite marks, limbs & faces torn off but no sign of feasting)...were clearly the work of dogs.
And yes, the offenders were eventually disposed. Carefully I might add as the offending owner was a major meth and dope producer. :frowns: