We can start now.

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Post Reply
gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 251 times

We can start now.

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Due date today and we are 20% done with 150 on the ground.

We are noticing lighter birthweights this year. Thinking due mostly to the mild winter we had. Anyone else would didn't experience a bad winter noticing the same?

Most are living...……..


Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1668
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 525 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by Silver » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Seems like our calves were lighter this year, and in general just went well. If the last 20 would just calve we could call it a wrap.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1668
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 525 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by Silver » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm
Due date today and we are 20% done with 150 on the ground.

We are noticing lighter birthweights this year. Thinking due mostly to the mild winter we had. Anyone else would didn't experience a bad winter noticing the same?

Most are living...……..
Do you have any theories why it is so many of your cows calve prior to their due date every year? 10% seems like not an unusual number here, 20% seems very unusual.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14630
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 533 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by Nesikep » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Mine started right on time.. I had quite a variation in birthweights.. a few from mature cows were small, and then I had some whoppers too.. I always do, but this time it was just at the limit for a couple heifers
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
ez14.
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:42 pm
Location: west MI
Has thanked: 225 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by ez14. » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:03 pm

It's the due date for my cows today as well! And we are 50% done already 1 down and 1 to go lol

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4474
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 266 times
Been thanked: 285 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 pm

At least half of my spring calves are heavier than normal. And with the poor nutrition they’ve had for the last year I don’t know why.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: SD
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by W.B. » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:07 am

As time goes we have all selected for more calving ease. I will bet even Silver has backed his birth weights down from ten years ago. By selecting for less birth weight we are also shortening gestation. We might not notice it but after 2 to 3 generations of this it reflects in cows with shorter gestation periods. We have had crappy weather and I haven’t noticed a birth weight increase. Three day snow total around 2 ft. Hopefully the wind lets up some today.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:17 am

Silver wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:13 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm
Due date today and we are 20% done with 150 on the ground.

We are noticing lighter birthweights this year. Thinking due mostly to the mild winter we had. Anyone else would didn't experience a bad winter noticing the same?

Most are living...……..
Do you have any theories why it is so many of your cows calve prior to their due date every year? 10% seems like not an unusual number here, 20% seems very unusual.

Shorter gestation Angus cattle. A couple years ago we were 30% done before we started.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

hornedfrogbbq
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Wed May 01, 2019 7:31 pm

Nice tight calving window it looks like. Congrats!

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by gcreekrch » Thu May 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Little slower this year. 76% in 30 days.

170 left and still getting 10 or 12 per day. We know there are about 20 June calvers.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1668
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 525 times
Been thanked: 459 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by Silver » Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 am

I find it gets a little harder to pay attention towards the end. We had a May 1 cut off, got one lonely soul left to check on. Doesn't appear she's in any hurry.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by gcreekrch » Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 am

Silver wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 am
I find it gets a little harder to pay attention towards the end. We had a May 1 cut off, got one lonely soul left to check on. Doesn't appear she's in any hurry.
Put the dogs on her, she'll calve...……….
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14630
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 533 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by Nesikep » Tue May 07, 2019 10:18 am

Silver wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:04 am
I find it gets a little harder to pay attention towards the end. We had a May 1 cut off, got one lonely soul left to check on. Doesn't appear she's in any hurry.
yup, it definitely does.. especially if you're done with your heifers
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
holm25
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:46 am
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by holm25 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 pm

Our first three calves were average or maybe a little small but they got bigger from there. Big blocky calves out of our first calf heifers made for some extra work. Didn’t help some cane over 100lbs. That CE Angus must have been broken.

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:35 pm
Location: south/east MN
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: We can start now.

Post by frieghttrain » Wed May 08, 2019 2:42 pm

holm25 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:11 pm
Our first three calves were average or maybe a little small but they got bigger from there. Big blocky calves out of our first calf heifers made for some extra work. Didn’t help some cane over 100lbs. That CE Angus must have been broken.
Now that's funny ours were exactly opposite. Even set a new record for the heaviest calf on the farm 118lbs then they all went back to avg 75-80lbs.
Quality doesn't have a color.

Post Reply