Backwards calf

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 521 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Backwards calf

Post by Silver » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:42 pm

In the past I've seen evidence of a calf having been born backwards, but dead. Today I actually saw a live calf born backwards. From an ugly little second calver. When I found her she had it out almost to the hocks, so I went to go get some equipment to help her. Got back to her just in time to see it born alive and well. I realize the vets claim backwards is a "normal presentation" and maybe this happens more than a person realizes because we don't see them all delivered, but this was a first for me.



User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9783
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 502 times
Been thanked: 517 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm

I have never observed a backward presentation and I hope I never do. I always feel relief when I see those front two feet coming first.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24096
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:54 pm

Silver wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:42 pm
In the past I've seen evidence of a calf having been born backwards, but dead. Today I actually saw a live calf born backwards. From an ugly little second calver. When I found her she had it out almost to the hocks, so I went to go get some equipment to help her. Got back to her just in time to see it born alive and well. I realize the vets claim backwards is a "normal presentation" and maybe this happens more than a person realizes because we don't see them all delivered, but this was a first for me.
Seen two born alive both were dummies.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 521 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Silver » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:56 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm
I have never observed a backward presentation and I hope I never do.
Oh you've cursed yourself now!
I think we've had three or four this year, less than a lot of years. Generally not a big deal.One tail first also, seems like every year there is at least one breech. And a few with one front leg back. Just gotta fix and move along.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 521 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Silver » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:57 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:54 pm
Silver wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:42 pm
In the past I've seen evidence of a calf having been born backwards, but dead. Today I actually saw a live calf born backwards. From an ugly little second calver. When I found her she had it out almost to the hocks, so I went to go get some equipment to help her. Got back to her just in time to see it born alive and well. I realize the vets claim backwards is a "normal presentation" and maybe this happens more than a person realizes because we don't see them all delivered, but this was a first for me.
Seen two born alive both were dummies.
This one is up and sucking, so luck is on my side I guess.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24096
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:01 pm

Luck is, I am fighting one right now.
Pull down a gallon and half of bottles every feeding. Can’t find the teat on the cow to save his life. He punches the udder milk squirting out each teat and can’t find one.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 521 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Silver » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:01 pm
Luck is, I am fighting one right now.
Pull down a gallon and half of bottles every feeding. Can’t find the teat on the cow to save his life. He punches the udder milk squirting out each teat and can’t find one.
That takes the fun out of it.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 883
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:29 pm
Location: Waterville, Iowa
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Till-Hill » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:10 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm
I have never observed a backward presentation and I hope I never do. I always feel relief when I see those front two feet coming first.
I'd estimate 20% are born backwards unassisted here. I've seen more born that way than the correct way!

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24096
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:29 pm

Just finished the night feeding.
Image
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 521 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Silver » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Just sold a bottle calf this morning, so as of now nothing to feed. Quite a relief. That freemartin marked the 10th bottle calf sold this spring. At $400 a piece I can't justify hanging onto them for too long.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24096
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:35 pm

I would have gave him away normally to a lady at church. She has a couple of Jerseys and buys day olds at the auction and grafts them. Both of hers are dry right now.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24096
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 472 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm

Till-Hill wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:10 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm
I have never observed a backward presentation and I hope I never do. I always feel relief when I see those front two feet coming first.
I'd estimate 20% are born backwards unassisted here. I've seen more born that way than the correct way!
I could be completely wrong, I think it’s more common than we think. We only catch the ones that need assistance.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1666
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 521 times
Been thanked: 456 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Silver » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:04 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm
Till-Hill wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:10 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:49 pm
I have never observed a backward presentation and I hope I never do. I always feel relief when I see those front two feet coming first.
I'd estimate 20% are born backwards unassisted here. I've seen more born that way than the correct way!
I could be completely wrong, I think it’s more common than we think. We only catch the ones that need assistance.
You're probably right, but here we see the vast majority of our calves born, especially during the first cycle when it's cold and busy. During that time someone is out with them every hour so it's quite unlikely to not know a calf is coming backwards and I can't imagine anything remotely close to 20%. Wouldn't say it doesn't happen elsewhere, but not in my experience.

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4681
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 176 times
Contact:

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Aaron » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:35 pm

Every once in a while I know one has been born backwards alive. Helps to have cows with enough pelvis. Kind of nice having them that way if they can do it quickly as I know the sack won't been over the head.

Best I every seen done was backwards with one foot back. It was dead, but I seen her have it presented that way.
cor durum laborem

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia
Has thanked: 298 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: Backwards calf

Post by Redgully » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:26 pm

Best i had was right way but head was back under one leg. She groaned hard and pushed it out. Vet said impossible, but i was right there. Calf had foggy eyes and was blind for a week or so but came good and just had her first calf. I had one breech that was an easy pull, always felt she would have had it. Couple of years ago i had a breech that was so stuck i nearly gave up. But after an hour of work something clicked and out he came. Both were alive and grew well.

Post Reply