Resource ve Cowboy Up

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Lrj505
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:22 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by Lrj505 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:57 pm

Called to order some SAV Resource straws and informed the guy I was breeding Leachman Right Time , and N Bar Ext cows. He recommended Cowboy Up over Resource. Any thoughts ?



Hogtiming
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:32 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by Hogtiming » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:11 am

Yes. Go resource.

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 271
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: SW kansas
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by T & B farms » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 pm

I have no experience with cowboy up, and I plan for it to stay that way.
On the other hand, I love my resource and renown calves. They are favorites of everyone that see’s them

Lrj505
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:22 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by Lrj505 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:05 pm

Maybe I should re think who I buy semen from.

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by gizmom » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:46 pm

I love our Resource calves I have been a fan since he first came available. I saw Cowboy Up at stud he looks great but I expect his docility numbers will go down, if you get my drift. I haven’t used him nor will I in the future, I am far to old to deal with bad attitude.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:55 pm

We can't handle Cowboy Up's lack of milk. We have seen him used heavily to correct herds that chased $B to the detriment of the milk epd.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by LCBulls » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:51 pm

hornedfrogbbq wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:55 pm
We can't handle Cowboy Up's lack of milk. We have seen him used heavily to correct herds that chased $B to the detriment of the milk epd.
I hear ya on the milk EPD. He sure adds performance, length and power though. they also gain well and do it efficiently.

Lot 75 Midland Bull Test
Image

Lot 74 Midland Bull Test
Image

hornedfrogbbq
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 161
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by hornedfrogbbq » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:58 pm

I have never seen calf one with my own eyes but have buddies with terminal herds and they love him.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by LCBulls » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 am

hornedfrogbbq wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:58 pm
I have never seen calf one with my own eyes but have buddies with terminal herds and they love him.
I actually think his daughters will be really good. I guess we’ll see. They are easy fleshing here and have good feet and structure. I don’t really think that sacrificing 10 lbs at weaning on his daughters vs a +20 Milk is that big of a deal. I guess time will tell.

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: SD
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by W.B. » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:42 am

LCBulls wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 am
hornedfrogbbq wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:58 pm
I have never seen calf one with my own eyes but have buddies with terminal herds and they love him.
I actually think his daughters will be really good. I guess we’ll see. They are easy fleshing here and have good feet and structure. I don’t really think that sacrificing 10 lbs at weaning on his daughters vs a +20 Milk is that big of a deal. I guess time will tell.
Once he has a couple hundred daughters in production wean calves then we will know where his milk epd is. Until then he is just an unproven bull. He has been used a bunch so it will shake out in a couple of years.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by LCBulls » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 am

W.B. wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:42 am
LCBulls wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:30 am
hornedfrogbbq wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:58 pm
I have never seen calf one with my own eyes but have buddies with terminal herds and they love him.
I actually think his daughters will be really good. I guess we’ll see. They are easy fleshing here and have good feet and structure. I don’t really think that sacrificing 10 lbs at weaning on his daughters vs a +20 Milk is that big of a deal. I guess time will tell.
Once he has a couple hundred daughters in production wean calves then we will know where his milk epd is. Until then he is just an unproven bull. He has been used a bunch so it will shake out in a couple of years.
Yep, just like any other bull out there. You’ll really know in 5-10 years :cboy:

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: SD
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by W.B. » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:48 am

I come from a Hereford background so i remember plenty of no milk cows. Their old epd formula accounted for milk in a way that lowered the milk epd automatically for the extra growth. I haven’t seen any Cowboy daughters so I won’t pass judgement on them. I have seen some Upward daughters that I would best describe as steery fronted through their head and neck. I don’t necessarily think that every female that lacks femininty is automatically a poor cow or every female that has ideal type is a good cow but I do think there is a correlation.

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3072
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Has thanked: 97 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by gizmom » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:58 am

Hornefrog

Cowboy sure stamps his look on his progeny I like the look for sure. They should do well at the sale.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
jscunn
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Northwest Florida
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 67 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by jscunn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Without seeing a bunch of resources next to a bunch of cowboy ups, I would have bet the resources have more muscle shape to them. Saw a few cowboy ups in a sale pen and they weren't the thickest in the pen by far. I sure didnt look hard at them because I was looking for a marbling bull but the cowboy ups didnt stick out in terms of phenotype at all.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Resource ve Cowboy Up

Post by LCBulls » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:48 pm

I really like Resource and Cowboy Up. We have used both and the Cowboy Ups are the closest we’ve had to matching the muscle and performance of Resource. I think both are really nice bulls. Slight nod to Resource since we still don’t know how the Cowboy Up Daughters will be yet. But if The breeder of the bull is correct that they are good Milkers, then he will be around for many years to come.

Post Reply