Would you?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Would you?

Post by Till-Hill » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:47 am

Would you buy a bull that you knew had to be pulled? Found her calving at 3am and his feet were cold. Hard pull by hand, calf has everything else going for it at the moment. Right pedigree, decent weight of 93# out of a PB Simmental heifer. Calf was exactly what it should have been. Didn't breed enough calving ease into him, knew it going in but I wanted to roll the dice. Was hoping for a heifer and a shorter gestation!

PS I want to cut him (always do if I pull them) Wife tho thinks he is way to good to cut in June when we do our first round of shots, cut, etc. He is really a stand out. I don't think I can sleep at night even marketing him to the right person to put on the right kind of COWS, I really hope I win this battle with the wife!

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Would you?

Post by 5S Cattle » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:34 am

I’d tell the client to put him on middle aged cows that he thinks can have a larger calf and wash my hands of it. 93 isn’t THAT big. Now if he has shoulders like mike Tyson that might be a different story

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Wouldn't bother me in the least, and his birth weigh is right on track. If everything else is good I would sure buy it.
I bought a RA bull last year with a 114 lb birth weight, but looking at his dams line and his sires line there were no problems. And so far I haven't had any problems this spring.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:43 pm

Combo of BW and heifer were the problem. Just be honest as some said and he will do a breeder of purebred cows or commercial cows a good job.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Till-Hill » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:43 pm
Combo of BW and heifer were the problem. Just be honest as some said and he will do a breeder of purebred cows or commercial cows a good job.
Thank you. I have to be honest on him. Put it on snapchat and Facebook that I assisted him already! I just really dislike pulling calves! But I hate little dinks even worse!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:38 pm

I've kept a high birthweight (born unassisted) bull.. Have his calves now, had to help a heifer, nothing too serious... I have had some big calves from him, but I've also had some unusually light calves too.. On average birthweights are the same as they always are. I'm really liking the calves though.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Post by MRRherefords » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Wouldn't bother me. I would definitely be open and honest with a potential customer when it comes time to sell. Let them know and they may prefer the higher BW for certain mommas.

Dirt Farmer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Dirt Farmer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:18 am

I might, but only for a terminal bull with good growth. I do know I would respect someone that was honest about him being pulled.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:29 am

5S Cattle wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:34 am
I’d tell the client to put him on middle aged cows that he thinks can have a larger calf and wash my hands of it. 93 isn’t THAT big. Now if he has shoulders like mike Tyson that might be a different story
Shoulders can be just as bad of a problem as weight. I had a heifer bull throw weird shoulders on his calves and we had to help the heifers he bred. All that was needed was to pull on one leg to get that last shoulder blade out. No chains, no winches, just work the shoulders out. I know some will argue this point, but unless you've dealt with this problem, you wont understand it. Find a cow with a stuck calf but the head is out...…….shoulders.....
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Post by cowgirl8 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:30 am

And would I keep a bull that I had to pull...……...he// to the no.....
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:54 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:30 am
And would I keep a bull that I had to pull...……...he// to the no.....
I certainly wouldn’t rule it out. Lots of factors to consider.

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Rydero » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 am

I wouldn't buy because there's no reason I'd have to. Obviously some would but a person can buy some pretty high performance, high birthweight bulls that haven't been pulled so why take a chance? In fact I won't buy a bull out of a heifer because the first calf is usually small so I don't trust the birthweight to begin with. Same for twins. There's lot's of bulls out there. Stick to your standards as a seller and your clients will respect you for it. As soon as you don't cut that one bull you can't honestly say you cut all the bulls that had to be pulled.

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Till-Hill » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am

Rydero wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:13 am
I wouldn't buy because there's no reason I'd have to. Obviously some would but a person can buy some pretty high performance, high birthweight bulls that haven't been pulled so why take a chance? In fact I won't buy a bull out of a heifer because the first calf is usually small so I don't trust the birthweight to begin with. Same for twins. There's lot's of bulls out there. Stick to your standards as a seller and your clients will respect you for it. As soon as you don't cut that one bull you can't honestly say you cut all the bulls that had to be pulled.
I agree with everything but buying out of heifers!

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Post by jscunn » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 am

The question you have ask yourself is would you use him? If the answer is yes, then keep him a bull and tell every buyer that he was pulled. He will sell or he wont but you can sleep at night with a clear conscience

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Till-Hill » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:50 am

jscunn wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:17 am
The question you have ask yourself is would you use him? If the answer is yes, then keep him a bull and tell every buyer that he was pulled. He will sell or he wont but you can sleep at night with a clear conscience
That's the worst part of the deal, yes I would use him in a heart beat. She is a PB Simmental and calving ease epd of top 40%, her sire is old school bull Autobahn. Used a bull on her (Red Angus) only in top 55% CED I knew I was probably using to much power on her but I "thought" she would handle it, and prayed for a heifer calf. Well it came back to bite me!