New castration band on the market?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
cowbellbecky
Beginner
Beginner

New castration band on the market?

Postby cowbellbecky » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:57 pm

Has anyone tried these? Looks pretty easy..
http://www.zipbandit.com
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: New castration band on the market?

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm

$30 for 10 bands!
I guess if you've never castrated before or only had a few head to do each year.
The calf on the right was small enough to still be able to use the little cheerio bands.

Thanks for posting Cowbell
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 pm

I like it, looks really easy to make.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:25 pm

That's what I thought, just a zip tie with some surgical tubing and a couple hog rings. It would seem the flat shape would be uncomfortable for the animal, but I'm just guessing.
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:54 am

Nowhere did it say how long it would take for the nuts to fall off. Also, with bands, as the sack starts to shrivel up, the band keeps tightening down. This would not happen with this product. Wouldn't there be more risk of infection involved?
3 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:41 am

greatgerts wrote:Nowhere did it say how long it would take for the nuts to fall off. Also, with bands, as the sack starts to shrivel up, the band keeps tightening down. This would not happen with this product. Wouldn't there be more risk of infection involved?

Your missing how these bands are made.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:21 am

I'm skeptical I guess because I bought some calves once and one had nuts swollen about the size of a softball. I got the poor fellow in the chute and someone had used a zip tie on him. $3 a piece does seem a little expensive.
0 x

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:40 am

slit the bottom of the sack on them big calves and they will fall of a lot faster, like a couple weeks. If I band big calves, which I don't like to do, I keep a pair of ear notching pliers with me and clip a drain in each side, fast and works great.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:34 am

New member....first post.....gimmicky product link.....things that make you go hmmm. Should we be cautiously optimistic, or optimistically cautious? Welcome to the forum, cowbellbecky.
2 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:10 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:New member....first post.....gimmicky product link.....things that make you go hmmm. Should we be cautiously optimistic, or optimistically cautious? Welcome to the forum, cowbellbecky.

Seeing more and more of that on internet boards recently..and especially on CT. People seem to be registering from parts unknown (like them Mexican masked wrestlers) for the sole purpose of just making a single goofy and irrelevant 'drive by' comment then never to be seen or heard from by modern man again...others to pimp a product or service, ONCE and then disappear. Are they getting paid for this somehow?
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 pm

greybeard wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:New member....first post.....gimmicky product link.....things that make you go hmmm. Should we be cautiously optimistic, or optimistically cautious? Welcome to the forum, cowbellbecky.

Seeing more and more of that on internet boards recently..and especially on CT. People seem to be registering from parts unknown (like them Mexican masked wrestlers) for the sole purpose of just making a single goofy and irrelevant 'drive by' comment then never to be seen or heard from by modern man again...others to pimp a product or service, ONCE and then disappear. Are they getting paid for this somehow?

Look at the zip bander . I picture a family sitting at the table with a bag of zip ties and a roll of surgical tubing cranking these things out. The eleven year old at the computer dropping adds all over social media trying to get the little bit of profit from hobby farmers before the mineral companies get it.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 pm

They have a fb page it seems, tho I can't see much of it for the ad wanting me to log on or start a fb account.
https://www.facebook.com/ZipBandit/
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 pm

greybeard wrote:

There are services that charge to bombard the internet with advertising media.....I get calls from them everyday. I like to be in control of what is said about our products, and I like to interact directly with potential customers, so we don't employ any of those services. While I like discussing what we do, I'm here for the social aspect more than anything.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

cowbellbecky
Beginner
Beginner

Postby cowbellbecky » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:03 am

I'm curious to know if anyone out there has tried them actually? And what was your experience?
I called them and the guy said they haven't any swelling issues other than the normal swelling when you band, he said depending on the size it would take about a few weeks for them to actually fall off and the bigger the size the sooner they drop. It seems like it'd be easier than the California bander because you wouldn't have to have the other hand held piece... Anyway i think I'm going to order some....I'll get back on how they worked for our farm.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

cowbellbecky wrote:I'm curious to know if anyone out there has tried them actually? And what was your experience?
I called them and the guy said they haven't any swelling issues other than the normal swelling when you band, he said depending on the size it would take about a few weeks for them to actually fall off and the bigger the size the sooner they drop. It seems like it'd be easier than the California bander because you wouldn't have to have the other hand held piece... Anyway i think I'm going to order some....I'll get back on how they worked for our farm.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your results. The California bander isn't as easy to use as it looks like in the youtube video.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”