I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where else

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where e

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Loretta wrote:It won't put no wait on it he holds it up off the ground it won't walk on it at all

Front leg?

When you bought him, he was like that? Has it gotten worse? Are any of his other joints like that? Is he eating and drinking? Does he have a fever?

It could be broken, it could be joint-ill, it could be a few things, with different treatment recommendations and different prognosis depending on what is wrong.

If it is joint-ill, a splint will not help. If it is broken, a splint may help.

Sounds like he needs the attention of a veterinarian, who can give you a definitive diagnosis and a recommendation for a proper course of treatment.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: I have a calf that limpes on it's back lag it is swollen at the keen hoke and doesn't look to be swollen any where e

Postby greybeard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:08 pm

Posted for member "Loretta" :

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 pm

I have pictures posted
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:40 am

Just going by what I perceive to see in the photos I think there is swelling up closer to the hip over the shaft of the femur (thigh bone). It could well be as I suggested before a fracture of the femur. You should get it checked out to confirm what you are dealing with as to the prognosis. Fractures in young animals can heal without treatment or callous up enough to give some mobility. Please note, I said "can" some will do no good.
0 x

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:58 am

It's not it's just the way it is holding it up there it can move it up or down He lays on it
0 x

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:11 pm

It's just at the knee and it bruised it was in the pen with horses
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:14 pm

How about that... the calf does exist.... I thought just another 1st time poster jerking people around.

The damage has been done, nothing will fix it other than time and pain relief, expect permanent damage.
Keep feed and water easily available for him, and keep him with smaller animals to prevent others from picking on him.
He'll be a slow grower, his meat will be delicious, but there will be additional trim loss when you butcher him next year.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Loretta wrote:It's just at the knee and it bruised it was in the pen with horses

It looks, to me anyhow, to be his hock. Looks more than a bruise. Looks like there could very well be a fracture or a break.

He looks a bit small to be 7 months old.

Where did you buy him from?
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Down the road from my house he maybe 5 or 6 months old
0 x

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:16 pm

I no it's just a cow I find a way to save it just like if it was one of my horses or dam sure try my best
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:32 pm

Loretta wrote:I no it's just a cow I find a way to save it just like if it was one of my horses or dam sure try my best

Good for you. But when it comes to prolonged pain you have to know when to say enough
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:21 pm

Loretta wrote:It's just at the knee and it bruised it was in the pen with horses

So you bought it this way or it happened in the horse pen? In the horse pen I say he got kicked or beat up. Either way, you have two options.

1. call a vet
2. wait and see

As badly as you want to save it, I would suggest #1. I reckon there's some reason you're resisting that so if you choose wait and see then keep food and water close and keep other animals from it as already mentioned. As Dun mentioned, "wait and see" must also involve putting him down if he's suffering.
1 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:48 pm

I don't see a good outcome, if you truly care, an animal shouldn't be allowed to suffer .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Before it suffers it will be put down I will call a vet and see what they say about the the it
1 x

Loretta
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Loretta » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks for the help
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”