Heifer percentage

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Heifer percentage

Postby jdg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:49 am

chocolate cow....how old were the 16' heifer group bred at? 100% bred in 30 days is crazy fertile. What breed and BCS?

My good friend at White Oak Pastures, Will harris, flash breeds all his heifers for a little less than 30 days with plenty of bull power every year, but he has a good outlet for everybody that doesn't get bred. (direct market grass finished beef) Burke Teichert has been preaching this method for quite some time, based on how much more important fertility is to the bottom line than any other trait in the commercial herd. I have just started breeding heifers for 60 days, ultrasounding checking to date pregnancies, and keeping the earliest bred, selling the later breds and opens. That way i have a more valuable product. I'm breeding at 50-60% of mature weight in a forage only environment, so i have a higher percentage open, but I believe I am creating a more efficient and fertile cow herd for myself and my customers who buy replacements.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:46 am

jdg wrote:My good friend at White Oak Pastures, Will harris, flash breeds all his heifers for a little less than 30 days with plenty of bull power every year, but he has a good outlet for everybody that doesn't get bred. (direct market grass finished beef) Burke Teichert has been preaching this method for quite some time, based on how much more important fertility is to the bottom line than any other trait in the commercial herd. I have just started breeding heifers for 60 days, ultrasounding checking to date pregnancies, and keeping the earliest bred, selling the later breds and opens.

Sounds like a good approach. What does it cost you to ultrasound?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Chocolate Cow » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:57 am

I calve in March & April. This group would have been 13-14 months old when first exposed with them calving right at their two year old birth date. They are Angus. Older type genetics-Wye & Shoshone. I do my own ultra-sounding.
0 x

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jdg » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:24 am

Utrasound costs around $5/hd, and palpation around $3.5/hd. I also work with Wye genetics, mostly stuff honed for the south by Ed Oliver, now Oliver Family Angus in West Point, Georgia. I also use a lot of Pinebank Angus genetics, and a tiny bit of Oldhe and Shoshone. This past year my commercial heifers developed entirely on forage were 80% bred (52 of 65)and 72% bred in first 35 days. Actually, palpation would have said 85%, but ultrasound picked up 3 heifers that had just lost pregnancies (no heartbeat). Still need to check my registereds. I was relatively pleased, considering the development program, but certainly see room for improvement.
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”