Heifer Bred Too Young

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Farmer10
Beginner
Beginner

Heifer Bred Too Young

Post by Farmer10 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 pm

All,
Hello. I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a question. I bought some "open" heifers back in the July 2015 timeframe (were supposed to be ~8-9 months old). However, I just found out that one of them is bred (she just started putting on a bag). The person I bought them from came over and palpated her and said it was probably 1-2 weeks from calving and offered to watch the heifer and calve her for me. He said she would have had to have been bred while still on the momma cow. He said his records show that she would have had to have been bred around the 6 month time frame (I have never heard of that before)

However, after talking to a few folks I know, it seems like this is likely to probably damage her long term and said they think I should ask for a swap or ask for my money back. The consensus I got was that even if I pulled the calf off her at 30 days (if it even makes it), that she would probably never be as productive of a cow as the rest (or worse, she could get damaged internally and I wouldn't know it).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Heifer Bred Too Young

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:53 pm

The main issue would be her calving so make sure someone is around to give a hand if need be. Most will calve OK by themselves and if looked after afterwards with plenty of feed she should do fine and will breed back and no permanent damage. Weaning the calf at 3-4 mths would help too.
The situation is not desirable but also if care is taken, not a total disaster in most cases. But hey, $hit happens.
Ken

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:58 pm

There are a lot of people on this board that have experience with your situation with positive outcomes (there's another current thread). Unfortunately all my "oops" babies were either preemies or d.o.a. and we ended up selling the heifers because there was either too much scar tissue (from a hard pull), potential breed-back problems (C-section w/dead & breech) or just didn't want to deal with a heifer-subsequently-cow with probable stunted growth. My two cents is swap or refund but it depends on how much you like this heifer - because I'm also a sucker for potential & a good disposition.

Farmer10
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Farmer10 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:34 am

Thanks for the replies all. I will try to approach the person and see if they will exchange a heifer for me.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Post by Supa Dexta » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:54 am

Had one once raise her fast calf as a 14mo old. It kept her small, But raised 1000 dollar calf. Then she lost her 2nd calf, so she didn't have a calf on her as a 2 yr old. And she grew out well at that point. Regular cow now.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Had some Oops heifers, they don't stay here for long....mostly getting bred on timely issues. Our mature cows calved in spring while our oops heifers calved in middle of summer and we cannot afford any cows that is calving out of season or went open for another year. Your biggest worry is the calf size as there is a chance that you might have to call a vet in if she needs a c-section.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Post by bbirder » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Found a heifer today that had a calf and never got up. The calf was on the ground and still in the sack and she was barely alive. She had her eyes open, was barely breathing and started to swell and stiffen up. She was 2-1/2 yrs old and one I kept because I really liked her disposition. I had been keeping a close watch on her but she looked to be a couple of weeks away yesterday. That is absolutely the last heifer to stay on my place. Just too much at risk. She would have brought a good price last spring if I would have sold her.
If I was you, I would ask for a refund from the seller. Let him take the risk!
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:51 pm

bbirder wrote:Found a heifer today that had a calf and never got up. The calf was on the ground and still in the sack and she was barely alive. She had her eyes open, was barely breathing and started to swell and stiffen up. She was 2-1/2 yrs old and one I kept because I really liked her disposition. I had been keeping a close watch on her but she looked to be a couple of weeks away yesterday. That is absolutely the last heifer to stay on my place. Just too much at risk. She would have brought a good price last spring if I would have sold her.

So the heifer never got up & the calf died or they both died? Sorry for the confusion & whatever happened sounds horrible. Calving out heifers is stressful - and yet I continue to do it.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Post by Supa Dexta » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 pm

I even bought one last yr because she WAS bred young. Old fella that owned her didn't want to deal with her, so I got her cheap. Nice purebred set.

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Post by bbirder » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:00 pm

TCRanch wrote:
bbirder wrote:Found a heifer today that had a calf and never got up. The calf was on the ground and still in the sack and she was barely alive. She had her eyes open, was barely breathing and started to swell and stiffen up. She was 2-1/2 yrs old and one I kept because I really liked her disposition. I had been keeping a close watch on her but she looked to be a couple of weeks away yesterday. That is absolutely the last heifer to stay on my place. Just too much at risk. She would have brought a good price last spring if I would have sold her.

So the heifer never got up & the calf died or they both died? Sorry for the confusion & whatever happened sounds horrible. Calving out heifers is stressful - and yet I continue to do it.

They both died. I put the heifer out of her misery after consulting my vet. Didn't mean to steal the thread, only to express my opinion on why he should try to get rid of the heifer before she calves. IMO too great a risk at that age. The seller should step up if he sold them as open heifers.
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:01 pm

Not all teen pregnancies are good & positive things, just saying folks. Seen more bad things than good things out of teen pregnancies.

Farmer10
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Farmer10 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:55 am

All,
Thanks for the replies. I have come to a solution, I think. The breeder has offered to swap this heifer with another one of a similar age range. I think that will be the best overall solution. Seems like you can work a heifer through these types of situations, but my wife and I are new to running cows and don't need the additional risk.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Joseph

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:45 pm

bbirder wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

They both died. I put the heifer out of her misery after consulting my vet. Didn't mean to steal the thread, only to express my opinion on why he should try to get rid of the heifer before she calves. IMO too great a risk at that age. The seller should step up if he sold them as open heifers.

Sooo sorry! That's a double whammy :cry:

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Farmer10 wrote:All,
Thanks for the replies. I have come to a solution, I think. The breeder has offered to swap this heifer with another one of a similar age range. I think that will be the best overall solution. Seems like you can work a heifer through these types of situations, but my wife and I are new to running cows and don't need the additional risk.

Thanks again for everyone's replies.

Joseph

Good call! Calving out heifers is a true testament to marriage (I morph into Medusa) but especially when they're just too young. Wishing you & your wife the best!

LimoX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by LimoX » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:20 pm

I have seen this on several occassion and yes there are some down sides to a young heifer being an oops, but in most of our experiences here if she can have the calf fine they generally turn into pretty good cows. Why, if she is cycling that early it can only turn into a postitve, for we put a lot of emphasis on breeding window and being an early cycler!