The Sanctuary is Open

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

The Sanctuary is Open

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:14 am

I put out my first rolls of hay last evening. A storm came in last night so I decided to open the Sanctuary.

This is the 5th year of setting this up. I stretch a wire about hip pocket high across the gate into the lot in front of the shop. I do not energize it unless I start getting a cow that pushes through the wire. I don't like to risk shocking a calf because the ones that get shocked become reluctant to come under the wire.

I also put out the first feed. These calves range from 10 weeks old to 3 weeks old. Got up this morning and the calves were in the sanctuary. In the years I have set up the sanctuary, this is the fastest results I have gotten. About half the calves were in the sanctuary this morning.

Picture 1. The hot wire that allows the calves to come under but keeps the cows out. The wire is a heavy copper ground wire and to energize it, I attach the electric fence wire on top the left post:
Picture 2. I put out a half bucket of feed. This is the first year of using this feed. 16 % protein. Low levels of grain such as corn. I want growth, not fat. It has several substrate compounds, including probiotics and vitamins.
Picture 3. I put that feed out this morning. Within 30 minutes, I came back and 3 calves were already exploding the feed.
Picture 4. The calves can also enter the shop. These calves were in the shop when I went out early this morning. Amazing how fast they adapt.

"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: The Sanctuary is Open

Post by Nesikep » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:14 am

They are a bit like cats, they can find the comfy spots!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:23 am

Nesikep wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:14 am
They are a bit like cats, they can find the comfy spots!
Seriously, I am amazed how fast they explore and adapt.
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Great pictures. Your calves look better than mine do.
Give them a cozy little spot and they will find it! I have a couple of 3-sided sheds 12 x 24 in different winter lots for the calves. I put 1 strand hi-tensile around the whole area so they have a grassy area that they can lounge or play in besides getting inside the shed. I put a dry round bale in it and pull off what I need for bedding and they eat on it. I have a 15 gal plastic bucket that we cut out the whole middle part leaving strips to hold it together and hang that in the shed. That is what I feed them in. Started last week which is early this year because of the two sets of twins. I just put out WSC with some oats in it - but, they are eating 16% protein hay with dams and their 2nd cut dry bale. They were born in the field they are in, but they just started using the shed couple weeks ago - we had cold winds and rain. That's all it took!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Would it be easier to use a calf-pass gate than using the wire? Of course with your calves, they would outgrow it pretty quick. :lol:

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:28 pm

sstterry wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Would it be easier to use a calf-pass gate than using the wire? Of course with your calves, they would outgrow it pretty quick. :lol:
The way my calves grow, in another couple weeks they will be stepping over it. :lol:
Diogenes.

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:28 pm
sstterry wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm
The way my calves grow, in another couple weeks they will be stepping over it. :lol:
First liar aint gotta chance
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

NonTypicalCPA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:15 pm

I can't believe that single strand keeps the cows out! I have a similar set up, although much smaller, and I tried this year putting in a 2x4 across the opening at a height the cows couldn't get under. I couldn't believe it, but one day watched one of my bigger cows walk over to the opening after I had put in the feed and proceed to get down on her knees and crawl under the 2x4. After that I put up some vertical boards to keep her out.

Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Farmgirl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Hot wire does magic that a 2x4 can't match!! Also, Ron's cows aren't hungry.