Trees fruit/nut

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Trees fruit/nut

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:30 am

lavacarancher wrote:Sky, see if your local nursery has ag molasses or gardening molasses. Mix about one cup of molasses/gal of water and pour around the plant. Like I said it made mine come alive.

I will thanks for the tip :tiphat:
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:54 am

I found these yesterday I got a few there was 2 different varieties

0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:30 am

lavacarancher wrote:y.

On the subject of blueberries what do you use to bring the soil into a Ph range where blueberries will grow. My soil is almost neutral (6.5-7.0) and I've tried everything to bring it into the 4.5 to 5.0 range from ammonium sulfate to sulfur and nothing seems to move it. .. I would like to transplant them but I don't think I can until I figure out a way to get the soil to the right Ph.

Don't bother with the old myth of pine needles--they don't have enough acid in them to make any pH difference at all--even when green and fresh off the tree.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:14 am

Use peat moss on the blueberries. It has a pH of 4.0

Sky, what were two varieties of figs? One had to be brown turkey.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:41 am

My blueberried died since no peat moss on them ill plant more and see what happens next year. GP I cant remember but will look today.
0 x

Philip-TX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Philip-TX » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:57 am

We had to replant our fruit trees last year. With a couple years of drought, the grasshoppers ate the leaves, then fruit and left the pit on the limb, then stripped the bark......and that was that.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:04 am

0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:49 am

That's a pretty good variety, sky. All any nursery around here ever has is brown turkey and/or celeste and there's nothing wrong with them but I wanted more variety, so last year I mail ordered two black jack figs and two of those Italian honey figs. The honey figs I got are reportedly Sicilian in origin. The black jacks had a few figs on them last year but the top growth froze or otherwise died back over the winter. They're growing back from the roots now. The honey figs had no figs last year but weren't hurt at all by frost this past winter. The honey figs should bear some fruit this year and I'm looking forward to trying some out.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:14 pm

Nice I bought one of each but the honey fig has lil figs on it already. I am not sure what I would do with a ton of figs but I think I can figure it out. What did you do with yours ?
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:16 pm

0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:23 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:Nice I bought one of each but the honey fig has lil figs on it already. I am not sure what I would do with a ton of figs but I think I can figure it out. What did you do with yours ?

I just eat them fresh off the tree. My mom used to make fig preserves which were very good on toast or biscuits.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I want to make preserves mostly out of them.
0 x

lavacarancher
GURU
GURU

Postby lavacarancher » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:58 am

Never was a big fig eater but my Mother (and Father) loved them as preserves. As a kid I remember eating fig preserves over hot, fresh biscuits with fresh cream right off the top of the milk crock.
0 x
If you think you're in charge, try bossing someone else's dog around.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:45 am

We planted a walnut about 15 years ago.. To date I think we've gotten about 5 walnuts off it..

We planted an oak about 4 years ago, it's making LOADS of acorns already
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Most of my other fruit trees with the warm snap we had and they started blooming then we got 12 inches of snow killed them and they had no fruit.. However I will have no shortage of walnuts

0 x

Return to “Gardening”