Canning beans.....................

From the latest tomato tips to sweetcorn calamities, share your experiences in the garden.
cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4127
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:33 am

CottageFarm wrote:

To avoid the inevitable forthcoming bs from the princess, here is one link from a quick search.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/blanching.html

And no mention to the others for reusing their metal tops, priceless? Oh and I forgot that we have google experts in here.
Bacteria that is on it if you don't blanch, is there if you eat them fresh. Bacteria does not grow in the freezer. .No one is going to eat frozen green beans raw......cooking kills bacteria. Logic, my dear. logic... the quality of the beans is no different than if you blanch or don't. The only difference is if you put in a freezer that has a defrost or doesn't. I do not freeze anything long term in a defrost freezer...every thing I preserve goes into a deep freeze for longer life.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4127
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:34 am

:pop: And here we go!!!!!
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
CottageFarm
-
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:11 am

JLtrent......sorry for the derailment. Your beans look great, and thats a heck of a lot of work! Sure is a cute work crew you got there.
1 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

User avatar
CottageFarm
-
Posts: 1905
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby CottageFarm » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:45 am

And no mention to the others for reusing their metal tops, priceless?

Well that's a question out of left field... thought we were talking about freezing :???:
But since we have to make this all about you....whatever. No, it is not recommended to reuse metal lids.

Oh and I forgot that we have google experts in here.


For you and anyone else who may be reading comprehension challenged ...links are provided as a means to provide an additional impartial and reputable source of information.

To avoid the inevitable forthcoming bs from the princess, here is one link from a quick search.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/blanching.html


Bacteria that is on it if you don't blanch, is there if you eat them fresh.


And your point is??

Bacteria does not grow in the freezer.
.
Again, for the reading comprehension challenged.....
...freezing will slow the metabolism of bacteria and molds, but not kill them

to be more accurate, freezing will kill some pathogens, but not all, and not some of the most dangerous ones

No one is going to eat frozen green beans raw......cooking kills bacteria.
Logic, my dear. logic...


non-sequitur....

the quality of the beans is no different than if you blanch or don't.

This is your opinion, and you are free to preserve your foods however you choose.
However, experts in food preservation and safety disagree with you. This is why my previous post was provided for the benefit of others... I knew you would find the information unnecessary. Other people may find it informative.

The only difference is if you put in a freezer that has a defrost or doesn't.

defrosting freezers can, indeed, have some effect on the longevity of frozen foods but is irrelevant to whether one should blanche produce prior to freezing.

I do not freeze anything long term in a defrost freezer...every thing I preserve goes into a deep freeze for longer life.
Knock your socks off....This isn't all about you.
2 x
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4127
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:48 am

:pop: and it's off.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4354
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:54 am

And not to mention that 3waycross retired from the food service business and knows foods like TB knows mineral.
CottageFarm, thanks for posting, I've decided to ignore the knowitall fool myself.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4127
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:58 am

:pop: anyone else? :deadhorse:
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14366
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:03 am

3waycross wrote:Not telling anyone how to put up their beans but We lost a whole family of cousins to botulism before I was born from home canned green beans. We blanch them and freeze them....I won't even consider any other way.

Same here.
Green beans are low acid, so they have to either be blanched and frozen or properly pressure canned. Hot water bath alone, then canned won't do it. I just don't trust canning low acid produce..not worth the risk.

More people get botulism from home canned green beans than any other canned produce, probably because they are so easy to grow. Cook them long enough tho, and the higher temp and longer cooking time at that temp is 'supposed' to kill the botulism bacteria. Green beans is one of those things I just won't can.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8381
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby slick4591 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:04 am

Does Freezing Destroy Bacteria & Parasites?

Freezing to 0 °F inactivates any microbes — bacteria, yeasts and molds — present in food. Once thawed, however, these microbes can again become active, multiplying under the right conditions to levels that can lead to foodborne illness. Since they will then grow at about the same rate as microorganisms on fresh food, you must handle thawed items as you would any perishable food.

Trichina and other parasites can be destroyed by sub-zero freezing temperatures. However, very strict government-supervised conditions must be met. Home freezing cannot be relied upon to destroy trichina. Thorough cooking, however, will destroy all parasites.


USDA link.

Notice it says nothing about killing all bacteria. Always blanch your food products before freezing.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4127
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:40 am

slick4591 wrote:Notice it says nothing about killing all bacteria. Always blanch your food products before freezing.
[/quote]

How dirty are yalls dang beans???? Do you also blanch your raw chickens before you freeze? Do you blanch all your beef?
Who the F eats thawed frozen beans without cooking. See, heres where logic goes out and yall have to be right wins. Google google google
I really couldnt give a flip if you blanch or not....blanch all the heck you want. I'm just saying, its not necessary because you 'cook' the green beans before eating and it saves one step....Lord you'd think I was killing kittens and puppies...lol
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4127
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby cowgirl8 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:59 am

CottageFarm wrote: To avoid the inevitable forthcoming bs from the princess, here is one link from a quick search..


So answer me this..I eat a lot of raw green beans. I was asked once if I had to live on one thing the rest of my life what would it be....I said, green beans..I've always loved them and one way is right out of the garden chopped in a salad...
The question is....if I wash (like I said to do before freezing) the green beans, do I also blanch before I eat them raw?
See, logic, its a good thing...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8381
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby slick4591 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:20 pm

cowgirl8 wrote:
slick4591 wrote:Notice it says nothing about killing all bacteria. Always blanch your food products before freezing.


How dirty are yalls dang beans???? Do you also blanch your raw chickens before you freeze? Do you blanch all your beef?
Who the F eats thawed frozen beans without cooking. See, heres where logic goes out and yall have to be right wins. Google google google
I really couldnt give a flip if you blanch or not....blanch all the heck you want. I'm just saying, its not necessary because you 'cook' the green beans before eating and it saves one step....Lord you'd think I was killing kittens and puppies...lol


You are completely missing the point. We are talking about the SAFEST way to freeze green beans when you are advocating something other than the SAFEST. Chicken is an entire different product and handled in a different way.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14366
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby greybeard » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:38 pm

no, because the mechanics of botulism is different regarding stored (frozen & canned) foods than freshly eaten foods.
Comparing eating fresh foods to eating stored foods is comparing apples to oranges.
If freezing alone killed the botulism causing bacterium, there would be very little of it on and in the soil, as most places get freezing weather every year. It's the blanching that kills the bacteria and slows the enzyme action.
Probably safer eating washed fresh green beans than your washed frozen (unblanched) beans.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1223
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby farmerjan » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:58 pm

I am with greybeard, not worth the risk to water bath any low acid veg. Also I like the more firmness of the frozen. I do the french cut style, if the bean gets a little big and the seeds get a little big inside, the frencher will slice them into thinner strips and the bean inside gets sliced up too. The pieces will get left behind in the water when blanching. I have done both blanching and not, in the past and have found that the blanching makes the beans taste better. I believe it is from the stopping of the enzymes. Plus gets any bugs or worms and leaves them in the blanching water... As for the self defrost freezers, they will affect the quality of anything in the freezer by the very nature of removing the moisture. I only vacuum pack anything now that I freeze, and that stops the possibility of dehydration or freezer burn unless you get a pin hole in the bag. I have some vegs that I froze in 2013 that I found and they are nearly as good as the day they were frozen.
One thing also that I think you are not taking into consideration, freezing causes the cell walls to rupture so the green beans' cell walls are not as intact when they are frozen without blanching. So the product is also a little mushier once it cooks. If you heat after freezing the water in the ruptured cell wall leaks out leaving a less firm product. If you blanche it first, the heat does a different altering of the cell structure, and then when freezing after, it does not cause the cell walls to rupture, so the water does not cause the mushiness of the bean. I don't have the scientific explanation but that is the basics.

CG8, it doesn't matter how "dirty" the vegetable is, there are bacteria that are not visible. So blanching will also destroy any unseen bacteria that could lie dormant on the frozen green bean , which can cause it to degrade once defrosted. If the bean is eaten raw directly after washing or even from the garden directly, the bacteria is subject to your stomach acids and the heat that is generated through digestion. It is often rendered harmless that way. Greybeard is right on that also.

Also, any meat has different types of bacteria, and no one blanches it because it is usually cooked after thawing. The difference is that freezing does not affect the cell structure of meat like it does vegetables, so it is as much for quality of the bean as for the food safety/bacteria issue also.

I am wanting to try the freeze dried vegs if I could find someone who has one. I like the idea of not having to have to depend on the freezer in case of power outages. A generator is great but if you run out of fuel...you are out of luck. The freeze dried stuff would keep for years like canned stuff, and take up less space. I can most of my fruits, and have eaten them years later as long as the seal is good.
I have used the tattler lids for several years, they are great and once you get the hang of them, will last. The rubber gasket is also reuseable if you don't accidentaly cut it while unsealing a jar and they are not that expensive to replace. I also use the old style canning jars with the glass bail tops, and jar rubbers. They also are good and if the lid is loose, the food goes in the compost. It is nice to have alternatives to the metal lids. I have reused metal lids occasionally, mostly on things like jelly, although I do not process the jelly like they now recommend. I can remember when we used to seal the jelly jars with paraffin (wax).....
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3301
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Canning beans.....................

Postby callmefence » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:03 pm

We do no real canning only pickling which is of course much safer. I does seem to me blanching beans and other vegetables increases the quality greatly. I don't have a link, just my observation.
With that said. I find it impossible to pick green beans or tomatoes or sweet corn or okra. Without eating a few.... right there in the garden.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett


Return to “Gardening”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests