Old Issue: Mexican Vultures attacking cattle

Let us know who you are.
CattleCate
Beginner
Beginner

Old Issue: Mexican Vultures attacking cattle

Postby CattleCate » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:50 pm

I've read the many posts about the Mexican Vulture problems from all over. They are a serious problem on my ranch this year, they were around last year but worse this year. I lost a cow who was calving twins, she always has twins, and I have one down after being attacked while calving, lost the calf but she's a fighter, can't get up on one back leg but drags herself a few feet on the three. I'm hoping she will get up soon. I just pulled a calf out of the pasture, he has a foot issue that slows him down from the rest and saw those vultures circling overhead, they are SO DARN VICIOUS. I am seriously looking for ways to control them, I believe they have caused me more losses than I knew, I blamed coyotes but it didn't seem right. I would like to know who has found the decoy birds that look dead, they are too smart for the bullet. They listen for my vehicles and fly to the tree when I come up, the turkey buzzards don't ,they continue what they are doing. These Vultures seem to be increasing in population, why are they here? I am open to any suggestions, I spend way too much time watching the herd, even the dogs are at risk when there's about 30 of them.
0 x

Williamsv
GURU
GURU

Re: Old Issue: Mexican Vultures attacking cattle

Postby Williamsv » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:56 pm

We live in Middle GA and had problems with Mexican vultures last year. We almost lost two calves last year with the vultures attacking them. Got there just in time to save them. We are not seeing that many this winter. I hope they stay away.
Our last calves have been born at night. We have a few more due in the next two weeks so we will have to check before 10:00 every morning. That is the time they start sending out scouts to check the cows. We have seen them do this numerous times.
My husband keeps a shotgun in his truck all the time in case we need it. Yes, if they see us they take off in a hurry and fly to some dead trees. We need to get those trees down, but never seem to have time to do everything.
Good luck getting rid of them. Where are you located? Please let us know if you find a way to get them off your ranch.
0 x

CattleCate
Beginner
Beginner

Postby CattleCate » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:03 pm

I heard they don't like seeing one of their own on the ground dead. If I can pick one off I'll leave it there. Almost lost another calf, brought it to the house. Your right they are scouting about sunrise but they leave at dusk. They have become ridiculously smart!
I'm looking for a decoy , heard someone was making fake dead vultures (Mexican) and leaving it on the ground will send them away, but that doesn't end the problem it just relocates it to someone else. We're between Southern Oklahoma and North Texas.
0 x

dougley3d
Beginner
Beginner

Postby dougley3d » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm losing calves, 2 this year, 1 new born and 1 several months old. Both calves appeared healthy at birth and appeared to be trying to get away from something when killed. The new born was born in the middle of the field and lasted a day in half before being attacked. I first thought it was coyotes, but it just didn't look like it. Then a friend of mine had been talking to an old rancher in our area that told him about these Mexican Buzzards (Vultures). So I've been watching them more and they are acting differently than the Turkey Buzzards that we have always had until recently, the last couple of years these black headed buzzards have appeared. I'm located at Canyon Lake, Texas near New Braunfels, Texas. I'm going to contact the Texas Cattleman's Assoc. for help along with our local game warden to see what rights I have in protecting my live stock. I'll keep you informed of my findings.
0 x

Williamsv
GURU
GURU

Postby Williamsv » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:22 am

These Mexican Vultures are terrible. I live in Middle GA and had no idea that they would be so bad. We lost a calf to them last January. Almost lost two more, but got there in time to save the calves.
Last March my husband sat in the pasture for two days to keep them from killing two newborns. They were ready to attack.
We see them start coming out around ten o'clock in the morning. A few will circle over the cows checking for one that is down or a newborn calf. If they find one, in a minute fifty or sixty will join them in the attack. The cow is helpless in trying to keep her calf from them.
From now until the middle of next summer we will have to keep a lose check on our cows who are calving. I do not want to lose a cow or calf to them. They are really a problem for us. I hate to see them come.
Good luck with yours. I am very interested in anything that you find out about these mean birds.
I pray my calves will come at night so these terrible creatures won't be there to get them.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:36 pm

dougley3d wrote:I'm losing calves, 2 this year, 1 new born and 1 several months old. Both calves appeared healthy at birth and appeared to be trying to get away from something when killed. The new born was born in the middle of the field and lasted a day in half before being attacked. I first thought it was coyotes, but it just didn't look like it. Then a friend of mine had been talking to an old rancher in our area that told him about these Mexican Buzzards (Vultures). So I've been watching them more and they are acting differently than the Turkey Buzzards that we have always had until recently, the last couple of years these black headed buzzards have appeared. I'm located at Canyon Lake, Texas near New Braunfels, Texas. I'm going to contact the Texas Cattleman's Assoc. for help along with our local game warden to see what rights I have in protecting my live stock. I'll keep you informed of my findings.

SSS
shoot shovel shutup
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:59 pm

greybeard wrote:
dougley3d wrote:I'm losing calves, 2 this year, 1 new born and 1 several months old. Both calves appeared healthy at birth and appeared to be trying to get away from something when killed. The new born was born in the middle of the field and lasted a day in half before being attacked. I first thought it was coyotes, but it just didn't look like it. Then a friend of mine had been talking to an old rancher in our area that told him about these Mexican Buzzards (Vultures). So I've been watching them more and they are acting differently than the Turkey Buzzards that we have always had until recently, the last couple of years these black headed buzzards have appeared. I'm located at Canyon Lake, Texas near New Braunfels, Texas. I'm going to contact the Texas Cattleman's Assoc. for help along with our local game warden to see what rights I have in protecting my live stock. I'll keep you informed of my findings.

SSS
shoot shovel shutup

X2 don't ask. Keep you mouth completely closed.
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Howdyjabo
GURU
GURU

Postby Howdyjabo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Neighbor says hes having good luck with a guardian dog. I can tell you from experience a donkey is useless against them. they keep him busy while some sneak in and get the newborn. Mine just gave up and even quit trying to chase them away.
Neighbor says the dog seems to know what to protect and stays there.
0 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:01 am

I'd treat them like varmints and shoot them from 200 yrds out with a silencer. Or out of the trees with turkey loads and a turkey choke.

DON'T ASK DON'T TELL
0 x

smoothmule
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby smoothmule » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm in SW Missouri and heard of a local calf killed this year by them. My Texas Heeler has been seen nailing a buzzard, no idea what type, that was dive bombing the ducks in the yard. This dog Hates buzzards. Raising 2 LGD pups now too, Pyrs/Komondor/Anatolian cross. My Texas Heeler are worth their weight. I like mire than one type guardian dogs as they function totally differently
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”