Greetings from California

Let us know who you are.
Atopete19
Beginner
Beginner

Greetings from California

Post by Atopete19 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:44 pm

Evening to all ,
I have no experience in ranching or raising cattle at all . I’ve always been intrigued by the ranching life , but being that I grew up in San Diego I was never around that lifestyle .
My family back in Mexico however , run their own ranch ; so growing up I would go every year and just be fascinated by all the live stock and way they do things .

I’m now 25 y/o , living in Ontario California, I’m a plumber. There is ranch properties around the area I live and in the near future I hope to by some land so I can raise my little family that I have .

I know ranching is a way of life , and a lot of people are born into it . I’m not looking to become a full time rancher and try to become something that takes years of hard work and dedication. However I would like to start small raise my own cattle at some point .

I’ve read and heard about people investing in cattle with local ranchers (buying cattle and working out an agreement with the farmer to keep the cattle until ready to sell) . That idea never even crossed my mind , it’s a good way to support local ranchers and also learn some of the stuff that goes on while raising cattle .
I’m in no way looking for a get rich quick scheme, nor am I looking to rip or get ripped off . I’m a humble guy who wants to learn more and help out others .

I guess what I’m getting too is if anyone wants to give me information on how I can invest in some cattle so I can start gaining some knowledge .

Thank you guys , and again I’m not here to offend anyone in anyway . If what I’m asking for is not allowed please let me know .

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Re: Greetings from California

Post by sstterry » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:07 am

Welcome! There is tons of information on this board and most are more than willing to help. Make yourself at home.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Re: Greetings from California

Post by Redgully » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:20 am

I like the way you think. Sometimes the best way is to have a go and fumble your way and learn as you go. You may be able to buy a cow from a farm and pay an agistment to keep it there and then butcher any calves. Probably break even with the saving in meat and gets you 'in the system' from there its just one step after another.