I've Been Meaning To Do This

Let us know who you are.
sme.misfit.farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

I've Been Meaning To Do This

Post by sme.misfit.farms » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:59 am

I keep forgetting to post here because I just deep dive straight into reading and learning.

My name's Melissa, first generation beef farmer with the boyfriend - grew up on a dairy/grain farm and most of my family still trying to stay a float on the dairy side. Live in NW PA so it's typically muddy or snowing... the bantam ducks we have love it.

We raise registered American Aberdeen/Lowlines, some Hereford crossing with these, and he likes his Holstein steer pets to butcher (don't ask me why they're a pain). I call the Amer. Abeerdeens, throwback Angus, it seems to make the most sense to the people around here. I know some of you guys laugh at them but with 8 acres of pasture it makes life easier to work/move them by myself, especially if I have to manhandle one a wee bit in the chute. Plus we do pretty good at selling them to butcher.

Always learning, trying to better and be more cost efficient. Next year I get to actually cull out some of our herd, practice AI, renovate some pastures, and hopefully buy our first equipment.

There's a lot to learn and some of the local farmers forget how they started or their reasoning for something is "How they always done it," I'm more of a why are we doing it that way person, and why I love this board. I probably struggle the most in figuring out formulas and what exactly to look at to manage/figure costs.

Now that I'm done rambling :lol:

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Re: I've Been Meaning To Do This

Post by Redgully » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:11 am

You have come to a good place for advice, lots of good discussions with different angles and opinions.

sme.misfit.farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by sme.misfit.farms » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:20 am

Redgully wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:11 am
You have come to a good place for advice, lots of good discussions with different angles and opinions.
Thank you! Some of the lingo I have to look up but mostly easy to follow too

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:06 pm

:welcome:
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Post by TN Cattle Man » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:42 pm

:welcome: to the Boards!
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:58 pm

welcome !
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

MurraysMutts
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by MurraysMutts » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:29 pm

Welcome!
I'm pretty new too. Only been at it a few years.
Lots to learn. Enjoy it as u go. I know I have. Mostly....
Crossbred for high bread vinegar....

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:15 am

Welcome to the Board. Lots of good advice here!

out to pasture
Beginner
Beginner

Post by out to pasture » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:10 am

Welcome , even though im kinda new here myself been what someone called a lurker for long time myself .
yes there is a lot good discussions that go on here and if you ask they will give you knowledge they have acquired .
dont let someone knock you for being small or just getting starting on your own ,you have the background for it so go ahead (Dive in) you can do a search and find some interesting topics ,dont hesitate to start a new one .
Yes some older people seem to try an forget where they came from an how they got started .Some will look down there nose at you that really tears me up when they do that to newby .
They really do get that mindset thats way ive always done it.
if istill did it they way i did it 38 yrs ago ....i probably wouldnt be here.or at least able to walk an talk ,trust me its hard to do that now an i learned the hard way !

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:19 pm

out to pasture wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:10 am
Welcome , even though im kinda new here myself been what someone called a lurker for long time myself .
yes there is a lot good discussions that go on here and if you ask they will give you knowledge they have acquired .
dont let someone knock you for being small or just getting starting on your own ,you have the background for it so go ahead (Dive in) you can do a search and find some interesting topics ,dont hesitate to start a new one .
Yes some older people seem to try an forget where they came from an how they got started .Some will look down there nose at you that really tears me up when they do that to newby .
if istill did it they way i did it 38 yrs ago ....i probably wouldnt be here.or at least able to walk an talk ,trust me its hard to do that now an i learned the hard way !
Good words of advice. Tell us more about your operation. Where are you located, favorite breed, cow/calf, feeders?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

out to pasture
Beginner
Beginner

Post by out to pasture » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:21 pm

Image im a calfsitter
and this little fellow is absolute dream to calfsit

out to pasture
Beginner
Beginner

Post by out to pasture » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:32 pm

Image this one here got to big for his own good you could say didnt make the cut :lol: :lol: :lol: well not the way how he was hope for :lol: :lol: Tennessee Tuxedo

sme.misfit.farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by sme.misfit.farms » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:11 am

out to pasture wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:10 am
Thank you, that was a refreshing read. Biggest life lesson learned through a tough teacher was not to be afraid to ask questions so no worries there ;-)
It's happened enough locally that I'll mainly ask questions to vets only or look through on here or the internet in general.
Hard way is where I tend to learn from lately! Favorite quote I try to remember is "Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result from lack of wisdom". I read it on here I believe.

Baby sitting is fun! All my babies love me. Yours is pretty adorable

sme.misfit.farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by sme.misfit.farms » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:56 am

Some of our shenanigan children
She's a favorite. Half Amer. Aberdeen half Hereford
Our 2 year old Bull.
Holstein steer who was an escape artist who's skull will be hanging in the living room
And the herd of babies :)