Hello from South Mississippi

Let us know who you are.
sms3has9
Beginner
Beginner

Hello from South Mississippi

Post by sms3has9 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:04 pm

I have been reading posts on here for several years.
Decided I should probably join the group and at least say, "Hi", and thank everyone for so much great information, opinions, and for keeping this group going.

A.J.
GURU
GURU

Re: Hello from South Mississippi

Post by A.J. » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:02 pm

:welcome:

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:13 pm

sms3has9 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:04 pm
Decided I should probably join the group and at least say, "Hi", and thank everyone for so much great information, opinions, and for keeping this group going.
Are you close to Wiggins by chance? I have a good friend who is pretty much the tall hog at the trough in that town.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

msplmtneer
GURU
GURU
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Post by msplmtneer » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:02 am

Howdy and :welcome:
If you are going to be stupid you gotta be tough

sms3has9
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sms3has9 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:16 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:13 pm
sms3has9 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:04 pm
Are you close to Wiggins by chance? I have a good friend who is pretty much the tall hog at the trough in that town.
Wiggins is about an hour from me. I'm further south and west. lol
Sorry for not responding sooner!

sms3has9
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sms3has9 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Thank you for welcoming me! I don't get a chance to check here regularly. :D

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:43 pm

sms3has9 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:19 pm
Thank you for welcoming me! I don't get a chance to check here regularly. :D
Pleased to meet you.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 am

:welcome: to the boards. Please do us a favor and go to your profile and put in where you are located. I know you told us with your "subject" post, but I don't know about the others, but I will never remember!!! lol
Tell us something about yourself. Cow/calf? feeders? backgrounding? what breed/breeds?
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

kerley
GURU
GURU

Post by kerley » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Welcome

sms3has9
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sms3has9 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 am
:welcome: to the boards. Please do us a favor and go to your profile and put in where you are located. I know you told us with your "subject" post, but I don't know about the others, but I will never remember!!! lol
Tell us something about yourself. Cow/calf? feeders? backgrounding? what breed/breeds?
Soooo I did this thing. Lol. Seriously though, we had horses and with not enough grass to sustain them, one off to college, the other not to interested, and money tight. We sold the horses. Well my neighbor got a chance to get some jersey and jersey/Holstein cross babies. Hubby said I couldn’t have any until we sold the last horse. But I wanted the babies. lol. I got two jersey bull calves and sold the horse a couple weeks later. Sold them at the sale when one started to turn to face me every time I walked in the field. Then I got another set from the stockyard. Big mistake. I wasn’t experienced enough. The two angus Holstein cross heifers and a Holstein freemartin died back to back. The cheap jersey bull calf was the only one of the 4 to survive. Told him I would only get straight from a dairy from now on. Well he helped me get the steer we now have at 5 days old. Born 8/30/18. I’m ready for him to go to the butcher, he’s a goof and always trying to get into trouble. (I lovingly call him stupid, kids named him Sven) Then I got the opportunity to get two heifers bottle babies from the same dairy. They will be a year in February. Belle looks like straight Holstein. Ginger I know come from a red and white Holstein, dairyman showed me her mom, but thinking she’s half jersey.

sms3has9
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sms3has9 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:39 pm

I got their pictures to load to my gallery but can’t get them to load here. Operator error I’m sure, but I am using my phone. During the week I can use the computer at work but some pics don’t show because of security.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:25 pm

thanks! and thanks for sharing your story.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:48 pm

You learned a hard lesson, but learned it quick. Baby calves at the stockyards are exposed to so much that their immature immune systems often are overwhelmed. Many do not get as good or as much colostrum as they need. You are very smart to realize that getting them directly off a farm is the best way to go. Any of us that have done the "baby calf/bottle baby" route have learned that lesson.
Are you thinking to keep one or both to use as milk/nurse cows? They could raise several calves each if you were to go that route. Problem is that the holstein/dairy steer market is really down again and there is very little improvement in the near future. Still, it is a good way to raise some beef for yourself and maybe to sell some to neighbors. Fresh raw milk can not be beat for taste and if they have grazing it will be healthier and even better tasting than anything you can buy. The Jersey x ought to give you some higher butterfat too. Butter...ice cream... soft cheeses.....

sms3has9
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sms3has9 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:32 pm

farmerjan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:48 pm
You learned a hard lesson, but learned it quick. Baby calves at the stockyards are exposed to so much that their immature immune systems often are overwhelmed. Many do not get as good or as much colostrum as they need. You are very smart to realize that getting them directly off a farm is the best way to go. Any of us that have done the "baby calf/bottle baby" route have learned that lesson.
Are you thinking to keep one or both to use as milk/nurse cows? They could raise several calves each if you were to go that route. Problem is that the holstein/dairy steer market is really down again and there is very little improvement in the near future. Still, it is a good way to raise some beef for yourself and maybe to sell some to neighbors. Fresh raw milk can not be beat for taste and if they have grazing it will be healthier and even better tasting than anything you can buy. The Jersey x ought to give you some higher butterfat too. Butter...ice cream... soft cheeses.....
I would like to breed to beef and start a small herd from them for personal use. My neighbor butchers a couple hogs a year and always shares. Hubby helps with some mechanical or welding he needs done and always refuses money. They know he won’t turn down food. I’ve found I can eat bacon and sausage for the first time in years but only if it’s home grown and not store bought. I’m looking forward to having the steer butchered even if I end up with nothing but hamburger. The heifers hopefully will raise some calves. I have a few neighbors that all have beef cattle and have finally talked a couple into getting with me first if they ever have one that needs bottle feeding. I’d rather place them on the heifers eventually. Hubby used to help his grandma milk their family cow and had milk and butter and all the rest growing up. I’ve never even milked one. Lol. I’m looking forward to it. After raising them, talked him into a new puppy. Got her at 3.5 weeks old when momma stopped feeding them. She’s 7 weeks old now and still up on and off all night but getting better. Figured by the time I have my first calves in 2021 I’ll be rested up for morning milkings. :D

sms3has9
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sms3has9 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:39 am