1st time highland heifer calf... what is normal

Let us know who you are.
She
Beginner
Beginner

1st time highland heifer calf... what is normal

Post by She » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:30 pm

So we are new to the breeding world. We have 4 cows and a bull... Scarlet has been with our bull for almost a year now. About mid April I noticed her vulva was swollen and she was beginning to bag up. About 3 weeks ago I started to notice a mucus discharge. Thick and brown... she acts fine, is eating good etc. That lasted maybe a week... now it's a smaller amount still dark and very gooey. We are now practically mid June....is she ever going to have this calf and is that dark discharge normal?

She
Beginner
Beginner

Re: 1st time highland heifer calf... what is normal

Post by She » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Thank you so much! 🙂

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Katpau » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:03 pm

Did she calve yet?

Thick and brown mucous? I can't say I remember ever seeing that in a normal situation. There is a clear to snot colored discharge that often shows up a month or more before calving, and just prior to calving you will see clear jelly which is the bodies way of lubricating the exit, but the only times I've seen it brown, the outcome was not good. The cow usually miscarried within days. I don't know what you are seeing. Maybe it is just the normal jelly, but dirty from feces? It's odd she has been with the bull almost a year and has not calved yet.

She
Beginner
Beginner

Post by She » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:37 pm

Katpau...
She has not had her calf yet. Although her pin bones are more evident now and her udder is quite a bit larger and she is springing more and more every day. I will keep you guys posted for sure.
At 1st I thought that maybe it was dirt too and that is some of it but it definitely dark. The thick stuff has gone away now and now her mucus is a small amount compared to before. This has been going on for a month now...
I have seen the calf move so I know things are progressing. She acts totally fine, eats good and there is no bad smell at all to the mucus which I understand would be a bad thing. I have heard many people talk about the mucus and I just have no idea what to think. Everything else seems normal... I guess I will have to wait and see. 🤷‍♀️

She
Beginner
Beginner

Post by She » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:44 pm

Katpau wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:03 pm
Did she calve yet?

Thick and brown mucous? I can't say I remember ever seeing that in a normal situation. There is a clear to snot colored discharge that often shows up a month or more before calving, and just prior to calving you will see clear jelly which is the bodies way of lubricating the exit, but the only times I've seen it brown, the outcome was not good. The cow usually miscarried within days. I don't know what you are seeing. Maybe it is just the normal jelly, but dirty from feces? It's odd she has been with the bull almost a year and has not calved yet.
Also I am not too worried about her being with our bull for almost a year without having a calf yet.... she is young and also a scottish highland heifer calf and from everything I have read they are slow to mature. She is still pretty young... also my bull is only about 2 years old so I guess I am not worried about that too much.

She
Beginner
Beginner

Post by She » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:53 pm

She
Beginner
Beginner

Post by She » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:54 pm

I hope you can see it in this photo...

Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:09 pm

That photo leads me to believe you should consult a vet....
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Katpau » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 pm

I am not familiar with Scottish Highlander cattle, so I expect you are correct that the may not mature as young. The picture is not easy to see, but I don't remember ever seeing something like that. It could be just dirty, but normally the jelly is something you see briefly and the next time you look it has dripped away and there is nothing there to see. I too would recommend having a Vet take a look. If you have been seeing that continuously since April, that is not normal.

Putangitangi
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Putangitangi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:11 pm

She wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:44 pm
...also my bull is only about 2 years old so I guess I am not worried about that too much.
What do you mean? You're not thinking he'll sire small calves because he's young, I hope?

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Katpau » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 pm

I think she was responding to my post where I questioned the fact she had been with the bull for a year and had not yet calved. She was telling me that perhaps, since both the heifer and the bull were very young, they may not have been sexually mature a year ago. I don't think she meant to imply anything about the size of the bulls calves. If they are both Scottish Highlanders, I would expect the calf to be small. The photo does show what may be a very small pelvic area, so I would be concerned. Since the OP admits to being inexperienced, I really think consulting a Vet about this situation would be wise.

She
Beginner
Beginner

Post by She » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:17 am

Putangitangi wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:11 pm
She wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:44 pm
...also my bull is only about 2 years old so I guess I am not worried about that too much.
What do you mean? You're not thinking he'll sire small calves because he's young, I hope?
That wasnt what I was talking about at all but Highland cows do have small babies which is why the typically calf so easily.
I was just talking about the fact that they mature slowly so the fact that my 1st time heifer calf has been with this bull for a year and is just now getting ready to calve does not worry me at all. 😊

She
Beginner
Beginner

Post by She » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 am

Katpau wrote: ↑
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 pm
I think she was responding to my post where I questioned the fact she had been with the bull for a year and had not yet calved. She was telling me that perhaps, since both the heifer and the bull were very young, they may not have been sexually mature a year ago. I don't think she meant to imply anything about the size of the bulls calves. If they are both Scottish Highlanders, I would expect the calf to be small. The photo does show what may be a very small pelvic area, so I would be concerned. Since the OP admits to being inexperienced, I really think consulting a Vet about this situation would be wise.
Thank you for clarifying that for me... the way I said it may have been confusing... I'm glad you understood what I was saying 😎 I will let you guys know what the vet says.

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Katpau » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:34 pm

I'm curious to know if your heifer calved? If not, were you able to get a Vet to look at her? Hope everything is okay

She
Beginner
Beginner

Post by She » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:56 am

No baby yet but my vet said everything is normal.... the mucus is normal and she helped me learn how to bump the calf...who bumps me back almost every evening 😎