What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
danl
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Postby danl » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:51 pm

a couple of years ago when I first got my bull, He was about 18 months old, he got started pushing under a cattle panel that goes in a ditch that is part of my pond. (pond is fenced off). Every afternoon when I went to feed he would be standing at the pond gate waiting for me to let him out.

One day he didn't wait, he turned my gate into a pretzel, but the funny thing is, he didn't get in there any more.
0 x

NMVaquero
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NMVaquero » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Not really all his fault though, fences are really low in this corral.
0 x
www.facebook.com/bandyranch

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:49 pm

If he wasn't a steer he sure is now...:lol:
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Trishella
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Trishella » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:24 am

I had two bottle feed two bull calves for awhile. One is kind of short and round but the other is pretty tall for a short girl like me. I had gone out one afternoon to feed them ( I never really had any problems feeding them). I usually always feed the tall one but he took awhile to come over so I just went on feeding the short one first and all of a sudden the tall calf had managed to get his head between my legs. I went to step away and before i knew it he had pushed through and i was hanging onto this calf with just one leg wrapped over his back. He proceeded to go in circles and threw my tiny self to the ground...right into the mud. He didn't take kindly to being second. This calf has an all white face too with black circles around his eyes so he looks devious all the time. Haha
0 x

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:47 pm

I took a ride the other day and came around a corner where there is some sort of oil/gas lift station and I see a few cows hanging out. I see a cow with about a half of some sort of woven type sack hanging out her mouth. She is just going to town chewing on it! They just did a bunch of maintenance on the site and I don't know if the bag was some trash they left or something that had blown in. Felt bad but wasn't really sure what to do. Can a cow spit a sack like that out?
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Kingfisher wrote:I took a ride the other day and came around a corner where there is some sort of oil/gas lift station and I see a few cows hanging out. I see a cow with about a half of some sort of woven type sack hanging out her mouth. She is just going to town chewing on it! They just did a bunch of maintenance on the site and I don't know if the bag was some trash they left or something that had blown in. Felt bad but wasn't really sure what to do. Can a cow spit a sack like that out?

Most likely some insulation for wrapping some of the instrumentation.
A lot around here is wrapped with a material that looks like a woven material
of some kind. I have never really inspected it to see what it is made out of.
I doubt it would digest in a cows system just looking at it, if it is the same thing.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

torogmc81
Rancher
Rancher

Postby torogmc81 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:56 pm

https://www.facebook.com/18528485829854 ... =1&theater
Click the links in order, hopefully my short story makes sense from last summer
I wish I had video or at least some more pics of this crazy day, and the look on my bulls face as he stood up and gave me the strangest look ever right before "the jump". You never know what might happen some days
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:45 pm

My friend's bull (longhorn) broke the round bale feeder, and wore a 1/4 of the feeder like a bull moose's antlers and was walking around the field with it on his horns
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

shortybreeder
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby shortybreeder » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:38 pm

Last year I had a dairy steer that I was raising for our school's lunch program, and he was somewhat trained... All I had to do was put the water hose on the gate in front of his water tank and he would grab it with his mouth and then drop it into the tank! I used to have a video on my ipod, but I guess I deleted it to make room for something else... :roll:
0 x

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Can we talk about stupid human tricks? One landowner is having some work done on a rental house that's on the piece we run. He has left the gate open 3 times and the hotwire unplugged 4 times. Spent a few hours last night catching them up. Then called the sorry sob that left it open and ripped him a new one. Made sure the landowner knew he had a stupid human working for him too
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Hook wrote:Can we talk about stupid human tricks? One landowner is having some work done on a rental house that's on the piece we run. He has left the gate open 3 times and the hotwire unplugged 4 times. Spent a few hours last night catching them up. Then called the sorry sob that left it open and ripped him a new one. Made sure the landowner knew he had a stupid human working for him too

Get used to that one. :lol: Every stinking gate on every pasture here in the valley that has any type of livestock in it has a chain and padlock on it and if I hand someone a key I want it back that afternoon and I will go check to make sure they shut the gate shortly after they leave. I'm not worried about theft, I'm worried about idiots leaving the gate open and I'm constantly surprised by who leaves gates open... people that should know better, even people that own cattle. :???: My gates in the hills stay unlocked so that my neighbors can come in if they need to and there's never a problem there...They get it. ;-)
0 x

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Hard to get used to cows runnin down a road that sees 10,000 cars a day.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Hook wrote:Hard to get used to cows runnin down a road that sees 10,000 cars a day.

:mrgreen: Been there done that... I told five angry CHP's that they could take their pick, get the $%^& out of the way and let me and the dogs run them back in or stand right where I need the cows to go and keep yelling at me and threatening me with every traffic code they could come up with until I was under arrest and then the cows would still be out and I wouldn't be able to help them... They backed off. :lol:
0 x

presmudjo
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby presmudjo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:36 pm

Hook, wish I had a video of me one day. We were renting a house then and the landowner had a few cows. She took care of nothing. Dropped off maybe hay, but always a Hugh bag of old donuts and bread once a month. Cows got out, again. I am all dressed for work, high heels and all, sitting on the tailgate of the truck holding a donut in each hand. Two sorry but cows running after us all the way into the gate. Rush hour on boggy creek road. Had to go a bit over a mile.
0 x

Hook
GURU
GURU

Postby Hook » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Dang. That's bad. These were out on international parkway
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”