What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

Re: What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Postby BK9954 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06 am

Made the mistake of getting in my corrals after I poured cubes in the trough so I could pen up a cull cow. When my herd bull came in I was to the side of one of the pens. Instead of runing straight to the cubes he turned left straight for me. I jump over the side of the corral like a rodeo clown. I dont get in the lend with them anymore when they are coming in to feed. Only after they are already feeding and occupied. He has not been aggressive since but I never turn my back.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:18 am

Was he being aggressive or just looking for cubes a little too excitedly?
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:25 am

Nesikep wrote:Was he being aggressive or just looking for cubes a little too excitedly?

I like to assume just so excited looking for cubes. He was already at a full run when he came from the back pasture. Some of the heifers and cows had beat him there after I started my feed calling.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

younggun
Beginner
Beginner

Postby younggun » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:07 pm

I've got a charolais/Hereford heifer that I bottle raised. She's tame, friendly and laid back but has discovered she'd rather roam and grass OUTSIDE the fence. She started this when she was in a pasture with old barbed wire that she'd stretch and walk through. Well, when I moved her to my new farm a few weeks back I figured with the 8 strand high tensile fence, I wouldn't have a problem... WRONG!! Never thought I'd see a 7-8 month bred, full grown cow be able to squeeze through an 8 stand fence!! I finally got a fencer on the fence and after a few days, finally found all the shorts, she now stays in!
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:49 pm

younggun wrote:I've got a charolais/Hereford heifer that I bottle raised. She's tame, friendly and laid back but has discovered she'd rather roam and grass OUTSIDE the fence. She started this when she was in a pasture with old barbed wire that she'd stretch and walk through. Well, when I moved her to my new farm a few weeks back I figured with the 8 strand high tensile fence, I wouldn't have a problem... WRONG!! Never thought I'd see a 7-8 month bred, full grown cow be able to squeeze through an 8 stand fence!! I finally got a fencer on the fence and after a few days, finally found all the shorts, she now stays in!

grrrr!
I have 1 calf and one bred heifer nursing off others. bad habits and I plan on dealing with them
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”