Electric Fence

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Stocker Steve
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Electric Fence

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:04 pm

[quote="Brute 23"Does any on have any ideas for keeping the wire away from the metal corner posts?
[/quote]

Insulators

Stocker Steve

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:29 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:25 am
Thanks, all helpful advice.

Does any on have any ideas for keeping the wire away from the metal corner posts? With wood I could use the hammer/nail on insulators. Not sure what to do with the metal.

Has any one used these? It has peaked my interest because we have 2 7/8 tubing laying around. It would save a lot of money over the galvanized pipe.

Angle Brace Kit - Buy Fence Pipe Fittings | Bullet Fence Systems
https://bulletfence.com/collections/all ... llet-angle
I use porcelain insulators...the post side wire is seperated from the electric side wire....pretty simple

You can get plastic end insulators...there are 2 kinds...standard plastic and a heavy duty.....TBH plastic wont stand up over time and venerable too fire...porcelain is well proven in othe electrical fields

I can try and take some photos later if you like....lots of good electric fence info from various aussie manufacturers

https://www.google.com/search?q=porcela ... L3t3XXeF6M

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:38 pm

On inside corners....I use round porcelain....and the tie wire is made so it will match whatever offset I am using....which is usually 1ft...

My thinking is a ringlock or hinge joint fence to keep everything in or out...and an offset hot wire that will keep all animals off the physical fence....I have it low down so keeos sheep sized animals away too....my cattle know not to go near any fence...trained them in a smallish area with poly wire and offset fence wires....and with a hot top wire in one section. One heifer will always test to see if a poly wire is on...if not hooked up, she will walk over it....

1 strand of poly does not work that well if large animals are excited to eat if in a small area....they are too clumsy and distracted....but 1 strand for strip grazing is fantastic usually....but you can always have that 1 animal

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:02 pm
[quote=sstterry
I am not a fan of the spring handles because they are not as durable and if you get a short inside one you never know it (without checking).
You need to quit buying the "economy" handles.
[/quote]

Ive got some here 20 years and going strong.