Hi tensile fence splicing.

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:10 am

Looking for some Insight on what u all do for end post and splicing the hi tensile wire. Looking for a better way. Currently I use the crimps for splicing and ending wire but lately that has been failing alot more often



User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18720
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 494 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by greybeard » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:42 am

gripples
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:47 am

Have thought about those cause we use them in the woods for syrup and seem to work well just knew they were little pricey

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4810
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Has thanked: 111 times
Been thanked: 245 times
Contact:

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by Aaron » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 am

Must be poor quality crimps. I have never had one fail, wire always breaks somewhere else. Also use two when you have a a lot of tension on line.
cor durum laborem

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3283
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 477 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by bball » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:18 am

Aaron wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 am
Must be poor quality crimps. I have never had one fail, wire always breaks somewhere else. Also use two when you have a a lot of tension on line.
That, or adjust your crimping tool to bite more.
I prefer gripples to splice and tie knots at end post. There's aNew Zealand guy on youtube who has a good video on tying knots with HT. Will try to find it and link it for you.(the OP).
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2006
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:05 pm

Gripples are great, but your crimps shouldn't be failing. Like was mentioned, bad crimps or tool is out of adjustment. I really like the Strainrite crimps and crimpers over the rest. There are also plenty of good and easy knots for joins and terminations. Figure 8 for a slack join, speed knot or Tex Brown under tension. HT termination knot is one of the easiest to tie, and is far superior to just wrapping it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3283
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 477 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by bball » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:05 pm
Gripples are great, but your crimps shouldn't be failing. Like was mentioned, bad crimps or tool is out of adjustment. I really like the Strainrite crimps and crimpers over the rest. There are also plenty of good and easy knots for joins and terminations. Figure 8 for a slack join, speed knot or Tex Brown under tension. HT termination knot is one of the easiest to tie, and is far superior to just wrapping it.
Good to see you're still floating around here FFS! Are you peddling any continuous fence out of your shop?
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

User avatar
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 958
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:30 pm
Location: West Central Highlands of Va
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by JW IN VA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:53 pm

I've used the "crimps" from KIWI and others but find that you need to use two or three for security.One might work on low tension like electric wire but not always. Proper crimping is essential,too.I have even left an end well past the crimp and bent it at 90 degree angle but doubt it helps much.
The Gripples look interesting.Should be easier for one person to use than crimps when splicing.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:56 pm

bball wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:18 am
Aaron wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 am
Must be poor quality crimps. I have never had one fail, wire always breaks somewhere else. Also use two when you have a a lot of tension on line.
That, or adjust your crimping tool to bite more.
I prefer gripples to splice and tie knots at end post. There's aNew Zealand guy on youtube who has a good video on tying knots with HT. Will try to find it and link it for you.(the OP).
Am pretty sure I seen the same video now that u mentioned it. Appearently my tool is way out of wack because I'll put 4 crimps on and the slip right out

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 324 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by sstterry » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:31 pm

Hardnosecattleco wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:56 pm
Am pretty sure I seen the same video now that u mentioned it. Appearently my tool is way out of wack because I'll put 4 crimps on and the slip right out
Then it is the tool. From my very limited experience, crimps are the best followed closely by gripples.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4498
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 288 times
Been thanked: 306 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by JMJ Farms » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:54 pm

I use a square knot. Probably not the best way but it works
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1385
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 324 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by sstterry » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:04 pm

JMJ Farms wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:54 pm
I use a square knot. Probably not the best way but it works
That is as far as I got in Boy Scouts too.. ;-)

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2006
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:22 pm
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 am

bball wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 pm
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:05 pm
Gripples are great, but your crimps shouldn't be failing. Like was mentioned, bad crimps or tool is out of adjustment. I really like the Strainrite crimps and crimpers over the rest. There are also plenty of good and easy knots for joins and terminations. Figure 8 for a slack join, speed knot or Tex Brown under tension. HT termination knot is one of the easiest to tie, and is far superior to just wrapping it.
Good to see you're still floating around here FFS! Are you peddling any continuous fence out of your shop?
I check in most days to see what's happening, just don't drink enough to compete in the local pizzing matches anymore. :lol: Yes, we have a couple of continuous fence options. How's everything north of 70?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5712
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 256 times
Been thanked: 435 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by callmefence » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:59 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 am
bball wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 pm
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:05 pm
Gripples are great, but your crimps shouldn't be failing. Like was mentioned, bad crimps or tool is out of adjustment. I really like the Strainrite crimps and crimpers over the rest. There are also plenty of good and easy knots for joins and terminations. Figure 8 for a slack join, speed knot or Tex Brown under tension. HT termination knot is one of the easiest to tie, and is far superior to just wrapping it.
Good to see you're still floating around here FFS! Are you peddling any continuous fence out of your shop?
I check in most days to see what's happening, just don't drink enough to compete in the local pizzing matches anymore. :lol: Yes, we have a couple of continuous fence options. How's everything north of 70?
What's better wood or pipe??? Lol
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 573 times

Re: Hi tensile fence splicing.

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm

callmefence wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:59 am
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:53 am
bball wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 pm


Good to see you're still floating around here FFS! Are you peddling any continuous fence out of your shop?
I check in most days to see what's happening, just don't drink enough to compete in the local pizzing matches anymore. :lol: Yes, we have a couple of continuous fence options. How's everything north of 70?
What's better wood or pipe??? Lol
Depends on if your trying to stay warm.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Post Reply