Ideas on Strengthening Gates

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Re: Ideas on Strengthening Gates

Post by Hippie Rancher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:01 pm

ccr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 pm

built this gate about 15 years ago, painted several times. thinking about trying to paint american flag on it.
:shock: :heart: that is a beauty, did you have to hang it with heavy equipment?

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:17 pm

Hippie Rancher wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:01 pm
ccr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 pm

built this gate about 15 years ago, painted several times. thinking about trying to paint american flag on it.
:shock: :heart: that is a beauty, did you have to hang it with heavy equipment?
the first time i hung it, a neighbor brought his little tractor over and we hung it.

the second time i hung it i had it dangling from the front end loader, trying to do it by myself and a guy stopped by and asked if i needed some help. the first two times it was the gate at the entrance along the public road.

the picture shows the third time it was hung, down closer to the house and a fence contractor and his workers hung it with a small tractor. think it weighs around 600# - don't know, but it's heavy.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:33 pm

ccr wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:17 pm

the first time i hung it, a neighbor brought his little tractor over and we hung it.

the second time i hung it i had it dangling from the front end loader, trying to do it by myself and a guy stopped by and asked if i needed some help. the first two times it was the gate at the entrance along the public road.

the picture shows the third time it was hung, down closer to the house and a fence contractor and his workers hung it with a small tractor. think it weighs around 600# - don't know, but it's heavy.
it's really nice, makes me want to go out and build one. just yesterday I was baling wiring up a rotten bottom board on one of the last couple of wood gates we still have hanging. most have been replaced with metal of some type or other. I remember building some with my Grandfather in the garage when I was a kid, and I built a couple small ones for walk through. Repaired the big ones until they couldn't really be repaired anymore and various people have been building steel ones the last 10 years or so. bought a few pre-made tube gates but they are only good for very low pressure situations. I can't even imagine the cost of a good wood gate and hardware now. :lol2:

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Hippie Rancher wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:46 pm
DCA farm wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:12 am
I built mine out of 2x6 frames and cattle panels braced them with 2x4s. All held together with bolts The hinges I got some 1&1/2 steel tubing and bolted it to the frame.
sounds interesting, can you please post a picture? :tiphat:
It will be awhile I’m in west Texas working won’t be home till 22nd