Gate hinges

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Gate hinges

Post by JW IN VA » Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 pm

One of my bulls who may be getting a new address soon started throwing gates off hinges recently.
I know a lot of folks turn the top hinge down to prevent that from happening but I happened to think"Why not drill a hole across the pin part of the hinge and put on a washer and cotter key?" I think it would serve the same purpose and be easily removed with pliars should you need the gate off hinge.

Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: Gate hinges

Post by Ky hills » Tue May 21, 2019 9:01 pm

I like that idea. It seems like with those gate hinges turned down, invariably they work loose and gates drop off.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Tue May 21, 2019 9:08 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 pm
One of my bulls who may be getting a new address soon started throwing gates off hinges recently.
I know a lot of folks turn the top hinge down to prevent that from happening but I happened to think"Why not drill a hole across the pin part of the hinge and put on a washer and cotter key?" I think it would serve the same purpose and be easily removed with pliars should you need the gate off hinge.
Most of the gates I have are Priefert gates and the hinge will protrude through the hoop part on the gate enough to drill and install cotter key.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Post by ez14. » Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 pm

I drilled holes and put pins in on my gates. Don't have a bull though so I'm not sure how well they would actually hold up

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Wed May 22, 2019 5:12 am

Top hinge should be upside down. If installed correctly I’ve never had one come loose. They do make a hinge that has a little protruding tit on it though. You install the gate open and it slides over the tit, when closed it can’t slide up past the tit.

Cotter pin will work but is extra work and stuff to keep up with during install. I’d loose the pin first time I took it out too.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 am

Or you can put a lag bolt in right at the top of the top pin on wood posts.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 am

I use a washer and drill a hole in the gate pins. I think it helps support the gate at the point of the most leverage.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Wed May 22, 2019 12:18 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:53 pm
I've done it both ways and both work just as good. Only benefit I've found is if u have the pin drill cotter pin way it's easier to hang gates by yourself if u need to take them off for some reason. Every time it seems I need to hang gates it's by myself

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 pm

I build my own hinges, but I'm about out of free material. A huge lag bolt, with a bolt welded to the end. I can then thread a nut on the bolt to hold the gate down.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:26 am
I use a washer and drill a hole in the gate pins. I think it helps support the gate at the point of the most leverage.
That's very clever, did Darryl teach you that?
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Wed May 22, 2019 4:11 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 3:42 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
That's very clever, did Darryl teach you that?
It was built BD, but it's simple enough for him to master.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by JW IN VA » Wed May 22, 2019 5:31 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
That's exactly what I had in mind. :nod: Guess there's no getting rich off a patent for me. :roll: :D
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu May 23, 2019 1:47 am

Turn the top gate pin facing down and install as designed. The Preifert and other tube gates allow for the top hinge loop pinch bolt on the gate to be loosened with nothing more than a crescent wrench or 9/16 wrench, slid down the tube a little & off the pin and you can then remove the gate easily.
No need for a cotterpin.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 am

greybeard wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:47 am
Turn the top gate pin facing down and install as designed. The Preifert and other tube gates allow for the top hinge loop pinch bolt on the gate to be loosened with nothing more than a crescent wrench or 9/16 wrench, slid down the tube a little & off the pin and you can then remove the gate easily.
No need for a cotterpin.
Even with the pinch bolt tightened to the point of bending the gate they will sometimes work theirselves down. Especially with a 16’ gate. I really don’t understand how. But I’ve got a couple that will sure do it.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Thu May 23, 2019 7:16 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 am
greybeard wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:47 am
No need for a cotterpin.
Even with the pinch bolt tightened to the point of bending the gate they will sometimes work theirselves down. Especially with a 16’ gate. I really don’t understand how. But I’ve got a couple that will sure do it.
Self tapping screw through the strap into the gate frame.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett