Drilling holes

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Drilling holes

Post by Named'em Tamed'em » Sat May 18, 2019 11:05 pm

If you've ever had your but kicked by a hole saw and had to walk around like a whimpering T-rex then this might help.
The hole on this door wasn't gonna cut it, so I extended my pilot bit and clamped a piece of wood on the backside and redrilled the hole taking out this moon shaped piece of door.

FIL now has new dead bolt. And wife is happy!!

Get over it! It could have been alot worse.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: Drilling holes

Post by 1982vett » Sun May 19, 2019 7:36 am

Done that many times....

both enlarging pre-drilled holes and having a bone chipped in my wrist by a drill motor when the bit bound up.
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sun May 19, 2019 10:29 am

I knew a young guy that got a big ol old school (1950s) 1/2" drill bound up with trigger lock on, drilling thru steel plate. Drill motor was threaded for 1/2" pipe extensions on each side so you could hold it, but that motor was strong as heck.
Ever found yourself all but drug up on a workbench trying to get unwrapped from the cord and drill?

I'm lucky it finally broke the bit...and not my 15 year old arm
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

cowrancher75
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by cowrancher75 » Sun May 19, 2019 1:56 pm

i was drilling through a foot of cement.. caught.. i was down in a hole. . swung around and busted me right in the jaw.

it felt like i lost all my teeth on that side and i couldn't feel if i did or not. went to a mirror thinking the worst and I was ok. teeth were a little loose but tightened back up in a few days

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Sun May 19, 2019 8:41 pm

We have a bosch 5 amp 550 RPM 1/2" drill... the things is an absolute beast, and great german engineering failed when it came to the front handle design, it slips and spins, and the trigger lock is on the right side of the handle.. Being a lefty, that's where my palm is, as soon as you squeeze, you hit the trigger lock, if it binds, it's wrapping up the cord until it pulls itself unplugged... I've had to drill big holes in wood on top of a ladder... your butthole sure puckers up!

My 1/2" 8 amp Craftsman (Dewalt 505 is the rebranded newer version) is far faster but doesn't have the torque.... but it was designed far better, the trigger lock is on the front side of the handle and you have to pull it upward.. no accidental locks, and the front handle really locks hard so you can actually hold it
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Sun May 19, 2019 10:07 pm

cowrancher75 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:56 pm
i was drilling through a foot of cement.. caught.. i was down in a hole. . swung around and busted me right in the jaw.

it felt like i lost all my teeth on that side and i couldn't feel if i did or not. went to a mirror thinking the worst and I was ok. teeth were a little loose but tightened back up in a few days
That happened to me while standing on a ladder leaning against a tilt wall about 15' off the ground. I barely held on. It was a Hilti hammer drill. Sprained risk and knot on the side of my head. Sometimes you reflect back on all the close calls you have had and count your blessings.

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Post by Named'em Tamed'em » Mon May 20, 2019 11:32 pm

bird dog wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:07 pm
cowrancher75 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:56 pm

That happened to me while standing on a ladder leaning against a tilt wall about 15' off the ground. I barely held on. It was a Hilti hammer drill. Sprained risk and knot on the side of my head. Sometimes you reflect back on all the close calls you have had and count your blessings.
Wore out a hilte te74 in the concrete business, it made me cry more than once. Gave me Tourette syndrome dozen times hitting rebar.
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.