Herbicide for fence lines

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Herbicide for fence lines

Post by farmguy » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:56 pm

I usually spray annually with roundup. Sometimes weather is not cooperative such as too much rain in low areas. When I do spray fences with roundup they grow back usually in the same year. I was wondering about spraying with Atrazine or Pramitol. Any other suggestions? I want some thing that will last at least one year and maybe longer. thanks farmguy

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Herbicide for fence lines

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:10 am

I usually try not to kill grass, and focus on the broad leaves, vines, and brush. Are you committed to killing everything? If not, I’d recommend Grazon next.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am

my neighbor sprayed his fences with something every year and killed everything....
after he died and the land was rented out....
the tennants don't spray and the fence lines are now grown up with cedar trees, multiflora rose, pokeberry, blackberry and all manner of difficult weeds.....had he used a broadleaf only those things might have come but the cows would have grazed the grass under the fence...and the vegetation might have slowed the other stuff taking hold.
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:45 am

Yeah I agree with Bigfoot. I do prefer the grazon p+d. I believe it's more effective on cedar and prickly pear. Remedy can be good if you have some bigger stuff.

I used some pasture gaurd last year on some fence covered in Greenbrier and it worked quite well. I simply ride the fence with a atv boomless with just one side open. I do it every year and consider it mandatory maintenance
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:15 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I usually try not to kill grass, and focus on the broad leaves, vines, and brush. Are you committed to killing everything? If not, I’d recommend Grazon next.

Yep Grazon on the fence line.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Atrazine would diffidently take care of the broad leafs better than anything else, and works with rain. Spray it double heavy once, and you won't have to worry about any broad leafs for the next 5 years. (That was joking of course)
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

jd720
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by jd720 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 pm

Arsenal or it`s generic equivalent. Spray it one time in the spring and it stays bare all summer. I had to find something that lasted longer than Roundup because of a neighbors tobacco field I could only spray once before they planted it.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:32 am

Kill the grass and the weeds will come. I have used Surmount mixed with Remedy with good results. This year I have Tordon 22k and Remedy I am going to use already bought. It should be bout as good as you can get without killing the grass. A neighbor used roundup on his fence rows and killed the grass and now he has a mess. The weeds have taken over.

https://www.corteva.us/products-and-sol ... n-22k.html

Golera
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Golera » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:53 am

I have a few acres and the prior owner sprayed the fence line with a chemical that killed everything along the line...making everything else easier to cut and not having to worry about weed eating 3200ft of fence line. Any suggestions on what I can get from Lowes or HD that is equivalent? What have you used that garnered great results?

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:01 am

You can buy Remedy at TSC or other farm stores for the woody type problems. They also sell Big N Tuff (glyphosate) which is like roundup except a lot cheaper if you want the grass also gone. It does work a little slower than roundup. Mix them together per the label makes a good product to do both. Neither one requires a license but as the others have said, killing the grass opens up the problem of weeds and brush that are somewhat immune to the chemicals.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:48 am

jltrent wrote:Kill the grass and the weeds will come. I have used Surmount mixed with Remedy with good results. This year I have Tordon 22k and Remedy I am going to use already bought. It should be bout as good as you can get without killing the grass. A neighbor used roundup on his fence rows and killed the grass and now he has a mess. The weeds have taken over.

Tordon22 and remedy is my favorite mix for cedar and prickly pear.

I gallon each to 100 gallon water.
This a spot spray application. And very effective. It will burn the grass but not kill it. Cedar and pear I can spray in February when grass is dormant. seems like the remedy knocks them back. The tordon hangs around through spring when thier trying to recover. Very effective.

TAMU....... tordon22 is twice as effective as grazon at killing cedar and pear. With equal application rates.

David Crockett

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Post by BRYANT » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:53 am

callmefence wrote:
jltrent wrote:Kill the grass and the weeds will come. I have used Surmount mixed with Remedy with good results. This year I have Tordon 22k and Remedy I am going to use already bought. It should be bout as good as you can get without killing the grass. A neighbor used roundup on his fence rows and killed the grass and now he has a mess. The weeds have taken over.

This a spot spray application. And very effective. It will burn the grass but not kill it. Cedar and pear I can spray in February when grass is dormant. seems like the remedy knocks them back. The tordon hangs around through spring when thier trying to recover. Very effective.

TAMU....... tordon22 is twice as effective as grazon at killing cedar and pear. With equal application rates.

how big of cedar (red cedar) can you spray and kill and do you soak them pretty good?
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:21 am

callmefence wrote:

That is exactly what I got it for to go around the fence rows and knock the cedars out. Thanks for the info on the mixing rate as I want to burn the cedars up. I tried Surmount and it did very little to the cedar.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:22 am

BRYANT wrote:
callmefence wrote:

how big of cedar (red cedar) can you spray and kill and do you soak them pretty good?

We deal with blue berry mountain cedar.
Ash juniper.
I'll say up to about 5 feet you can get a decent kill. You can kill very large trees with tordon using the SOIL injection method with undiliuted tordon. This info is given to you in the books you buy for the application license you need to get.

Imho anything over about 3-5 feet is best to remove mechanical and then maintain with herbicide.

David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:27 am

jltrent wrote:
callmefence wrote:

That is exactly what I got it for to go around the fence rows and knock the cedars out. Thanks for the info on the mixing rate as I want to burn the cedars up. I tried Surmount and it did very little to the cedar.

Tordon22 is the p in grazon p+d. It is a very effective herbicide. Just remember it won't kill your establishment grass. But don't get it any where your gonna plant seed in the next 6-9 months.

David Crockett