Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6260
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:57 pm

callmefence wrote:
JHALL wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Usually when you build fence you set 1 corner in one end, then you go to the opposite end, or the next H brace and set 1 more corner post.

Then you tie a wire off on each end to those corners and try to get your wire as straight as possible.

You use the straight line of that wire to set your next corner posts and all your line post.

When you have pre-fabbed H braces, if you don't have a straight line before you set the H brace, you will most likely be out of square with your fence. The H braces will have a twist and eventually pull completely around.

It's just like setting up string lines to square things up.


I got ya. Drive your t-posts in at your corners before setting any of the H braces to ensure you're in line.

There's on corner that triangles and comes back to the house. Any pointers on getting that as close as I can to where it needs to be? I suppose I can set the t-posts and run the line, take some measurements as best I can and build accordingly. Any easier methods?


Hall brute tried to give you some good advice, but as usual his inexperience glares.

If you must use a prefab h.
Don't drive your temporary tpost on your corner. You'll just have to pull it up to dig your hole and have to replace it to set your h in line. Drive your tpost a few feet back off the corner but in line and you can use the line for the whole fence.
Work smarter not harder.


Re-read what I typed. I never said to use temp tposts where the corners go. I said use temp posts on the ends, like a string line, to get straight. That's the exact same thing you just said. You never stop your string line on the exact end, you always run past it.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3285
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Brute 23 wrote:When I have seen it done they drive tposts on each end to tie the wire off to so they have a straight line.


You said on each end...not past each end. I said past each end , then you said that you said past each end but in reality you said.ON EACH END.

I can always tell the guys that spew bs for a living.... :D
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6260
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:29 pm

callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:When I have seen it done they drive tposts on each end to tie the wire off to so they have a straight line.


You said on each end...not past each end. I said past each end , then you said that you said past each end but in reality you said.ON EACH END.

I can always tell the guys that spew bs for a living.... :D


End of the string line... not end of the fence.

... and the guys that don't listen... always argue with you... tell you how long they have been doing it... and are more concerned with your age then what your saying.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3285
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:41 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:When I have seen it done they drive tposts on each end to tie the wire off to so they have a straight line.


You said on each end...not past each end. I said past each end , then you said that you said past each end but in reality you said.ON EACH END.

I can always tell the guys that spew bs for a living.... :D


End of the string line... not end of the fence.

... and the guys that don't listen... always argue with you... tell you how long they have been doing it... and are more concerned with your age then what your saying.


Get outta the way boy and let the men work and it'll get done. Go get a cheeseburger or something
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6260
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:58 pm

You will never meet a better guy to work for than me if you do your job and let me do mine.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3285
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Brute 23 wrote:You will never meet a better guy to work for than me if you do your job and let me do mine.


That's the difference brute...I don't call anybody Boss. Not for any amount of money. Although I bet I do better than you think. ;-)
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3285
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:10 pm

Brute 23 wrote:You will never meet a better guy to work for than me if you do your job and let me do mine.


Nobody works for you. You work for a oil company. your a employee not a employer..
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6260
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:32 pm

callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:You will never meet a better guy to work for than me if you do your job and let me do mine.


Nobody works for you. You work for a oil company. your a employee not a employer..


I'm both actually. Every one should work on both sides so they can each have the perspective of what the other deals with.

It's kind of like every o&g land man should own land and have a company drill on it and every land owner should own a business where you have to deal with land owners.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3285
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:You will never meet a better guy to work for than me if you do your job and let me do mine.


Nobody works for you. You work for a oil company. your a employee not a employer..


I'm both actually. Every one should work on both sides so they can each have the perspective of what the other deals with.

It's kind of like every o&g land man should own land and have a company drill on it and every land owner should own a business where you have to deal with land owners.


So what s the name of your outfit...
Mines A&A Fence..
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6260
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm hesitant to keep going because I feel like you baiting me to a be nice match which have have no interest in.

My last business was a gauging company. I had it for 8 years before I took my current job where I'm going on 4. At the end I had two guys working for me full time and a couple that filled in here and there.

I feel like you are insinuating that because I'm an employee at my company that I do not employ people?
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy
Posts: 14242
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Dang few corners I've had were actually square. Prefabbing is not an issue. Backhoe can get the rock out. But when your "corner" is 97 degrees, a 90 degree prefab looks like hammered be nice.
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Brute 23 wrote:I'm hesitant to keep going because I feel like you baiting me to a be nice match which have have no interest in.

My last business was a gauging company. I had it for 8 years before I took my current job where I'm going on 4. At the end I had two guys working for me full time and a couple that filled in here and there.

I feel like you are insinuating that because I'm an employee at my company that I do not employ people?


I'm generally pretty docile, but since you fired one...tongue in cheek...across my bow earlier, I'll be more than happy to explain this for you. Eight years is a mere 12 months past the seven year itch. My childhood lawn mowing business lasted more than twice that long. If you sold it for big $, and your two full timers still have a job, you did good. If you shut her down to take a job, you didn't. If you start before everyone else, quit a few hours after they've all gone home, and all of their paychecks come out of a bank account you own....you are an employer. If not, you aren't. Anecdotal jibber jabber makes my face itch. We need to have a CT fencing competition and see who can prove it.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6260
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:25 am

Life is not about money for me. Twice I have built businesses and divided it amongst the guys who worked for me to move on to other things.

I'm a firm believer in karma and the golden rule. I have had some awesome opportunities come my way and I hope I've created some awesome opportunities for others. I would rather be known as fair or loyal when I die than wealthy.

On here it sounds like I'm an azz to people but that's because I'm trying to type quick and get to the point. In real life, I talk totally different and always try to treat people with respect. I have next to zero problems with people at work but I cull hard like cattle for a certain temperament. :) It's a lot more enjoyable to go to work like that.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6260
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:44 am

You can have the fencing contest. I'm past that point in my life. I offer up stuff on this board and it's up to the readers to decide if they want to take it or leave it. I have nothing to gain or lose either way... :tiphat:
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1011
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Pre-fabbing Steel Corner Posts/Braces

Postby ddd75 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:46 am

i agree brute.. everyone should be on both sides of the fence.. employer // employee..





Guys.. Why set up a extra t post for a guide wire? I just set my corner posts and run off that.
0 x


Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron