Feed Trough Designs

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Feed Trough Designs

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 am

TN Cattle Man wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I bought some from our local coop that are made by B&W, the trailer hitch company, and I've been very pleased.

Nice picture of the new girls!!

Thanks!
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Thanks guys. There are a lot of good options on here. :tiphat:

Only down side I can see to the metal troughs is I keep loose salt in them and from time to time will feed salt feed. That probably won't work out well long term. Any one doing that now with the metal ones? How long is it taking to eat them up?

I have been wanting to build some smaller 4' troughs just for mineral and salt. That may be the thing to do and use the metal ones for cubes and other stuff.

for range meal ,has a lot of salt in it, and mineral I use a feeder like this one

for cubes and any other feed I use the pipe feeders , the pipe feeders are 3/8 wall pipe it would take a long time for salt to eat them out, I would think. I have a feeder made out of an earth mover tire with a 1/4 '' plate bolted over the hole that is probably 25 or 30 years old that has had a lot of salt in it and it has not ate through yet.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Brute 23 wrote:Only down side I can see to the metal troughs is I keep loose salt in them and from time to time will feed salt feed. That probably won't work out well long term. Any one doing that now with the metal ones? How long is it taking to eat them up?

I really like the salt and mineral feeders that sit on the ground with the rubber flap. Nothing to rust except the bolt at top, and it's easy to replace. Similar to this: https://www.ruralking.com/mf3-mineral-feeder.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi97NBRD1ARIsAPXVWWDTAJf8qXicsM46BqfwlhBb2xM3pRwNKVh-VwCgQl5NwFNf_W6u9TIaAvvEEALw_wcB
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:53 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Only down side I can see to the metal troughs is I keep loose salt in them and from time to time will feed salt feed. That probably won't work out well long term. Any one doing that now with the metal ones? How long is it taking to eat them up?

I really like the salt and mineral feeders that sit on the ground with the rubber flap. Nothing to rust except the bolt at top, and it's easy to replace. Similar to this: https://www.ruralking.com/mf3-mineral-feeder.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwi97NBRD1ARIsAPXVWWDTAJf8qXicsM46BqfwlhBb2xM3pRwNKVh-VwCgQl5NwFNf_W6u9TIaAvvEEALw_wcB

We have one of those, need more. They work great.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 pm

Image The split barrels work great too. Been using these for 2 winters and easy to move. Built them for $1 per foot.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:38 pm

dun wrote:I just use the hay spikes like pallet forks and lift and move them

We have a loader at one place , but not the other . Could probably move them with the under bale spear though .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:35 pm

It's hard to beat 55 gallon drums with concrete in the bottom for mineral feeders. Set 3 in a triangle, and bolt them together. Holds 300 pounds.

I drug the last of my Tsc feed troughs to the junk like this weekend. Jed's 55 gallon drum feeders work good,and may just last to eternity. I'm up to almost 200' of them.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 pm

I don't spend any money on stuff like bunks or mineral feeders unless I'm pouring concrete for a permeant one.
I use black pvc culvert, 30 gallon barrels cut in half and what's getting to be my favorite is 270 tanks taken out of the cages and cut in 1/2 and bolted togather to make a long trough. I also use the totes for mineral feeders. I leave them in the cage and cut a hole big enough for their heads.
Metal pripe makes great bunks too but it's high.
Concrete bunks hold value real well too, I'm just not tying that kind of money up in them.
I have the have lots of bunk space for my 10 head.
Like 700 feet or so.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 am

I built some of the blue barrel feeders several years ago. They are still working just fine. I had expected the lumber to rot sooner than this, and build steel frames if I still liked them. I'll try to get some pictures, but I made some with 1/2 barrels for silage/big cattle and some with 1/4 barrels for grain/light calves. We have also built a few that disassemble.....The legs are pipe welded in a square, with one pipe dividing the square that leaves a space about an inch or two bigger than the trough part is tall. The troughs are wood framed with a thick gauge barn metal (really needs to be thick) or straightened out piece of grain bin for a bottom. Just slide the two legs on and gravity locks it all together.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:35 pm

i made out like a bandit a few years ago and bought stacks of heavy duty feeders for 1.00 each at an auction.
0 x

Kjfred
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Kjfred » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:55 am

Dint remember exactly anymore but I dont think i had much more than 100 into this one. Not counting the fence and gate of coure
3 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:59 am

dun wrote:I just use the hay spikes like pallet forks and lift and move them

Did you pour your own concrete feeders or buy somewhere?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:01 am

Neighbor bought them and when he didn;t need them gave them to me
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”