Need an estimate on fencing

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Need an estimate on fencing

Postby Gators Rule » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Anyone have a clue what I can expect to pay for fencing in a 150 acre orange grove. Fairly sandy soil. It's a run down grove and shouldn't cost anything on the grove lease. It would be to keep the green belt tax break on the property. Five strands of barbed wire. Not sure if wood posts or t-posts would be more economical. Any thoughts? I may hire someone to do it. I'm in central Florida.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Need an estimate on fencing

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:58 pm

A fence like that would almost be cheaper to have a contractor to do. The time saved would be substantial.
0 x

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm

$3.00 ft here labor and material
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:01 pm

$2.00 a ft here.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:12 pm

5 wires on tpost and pipe is ,2.75 right now.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Gators Rule » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:10 pm

I was figuring on contracting it out. Hot and time intensive.
0 x

MtnCows93
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:14 pm

dang maybe i need to get into the fencing business, at $2 a foot a quarter mile would cost a guy over $2600
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:36 pm

MtnCows93 wrote:dang maybe i need to get into the fencing business, at $2 a foot a quarter mile would cost a guy over $2600

I'll buy you in. Be here at 5 in the morning. :lol:
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Post size and spacing, as well as the spec of barbed wire will all play a factor in the cost. Do you happen to know the requirements?
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:44 am

Building the fence is the easy part, the clearing of the right of way is the work. I'd even build 5 strand fence on clean ground for $2 a foot using t - post, and pipe corners. It shouldn't cost more than $0.60 a foot in material for 5 strand barbed wire.
Last edited by True Grit Farms on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:50 am

MtnCows93 wrote:dang maybe i need to get into the fencing business, at $2 a foot a quarter mile would cost a guy over $2600

Here, with clearing 5 strand barbed run 650 a quarter mile
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:09 am

True Grit Farms wrote:Building the fence is the easy part, the clearing of the right of way is the work. I'd even build 5 strand fence on clean ground for $2 a foot using t - post, and pipe corners. It shouldn't cost more than $0.60 a foot in material for 5 strand barbed wire.

Your pretty much spot on material cost.. you always need to add about 10percent to any construction project. So at 2.75 we get 2.00 for labor. We change .50 light clearing 1.00 for heavy clearing.
We cover everything with our money.
We require no deposit no money up front and I recommend nobody use a contractor that does. Our price never increases during a job guaranteed. No additional charge for rock. 3 year unconditional Warranty. A wire gets loose or breaks we fix it.

The hardest part is dealing with employees, customers, the IRS and the Texas workforce commission. Along with city governments and utility companies..... building the fences is easy
2 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:41 am

Let's not forget about health insurance, liability insurance, workmans comp, tires, tracks, oil, hoses, trucks, trailers, welders, the always friendly commercial vehicle enforcement folks, azz hats that leave on Friday with a paycheck and $200 worth of your tools in their pockets...never to answer the phone or return to work again, customers that don't pay/slow pay, suppliers that sent the wrong materials because numb nutz that left with your tools 3 weeks ago runs the forklift on their yard now, the hundreds of hours a year spent bidding jobs that were a waste of time and you knew it before you bid them but didn't want to come of as a jerk, the employee that drives the truck back to the shop with the park brake on at least once a year, customers that want to do their own clearing and never get it done, etc, etc, etc. Yep. It's like free money.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:47 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Let's not forget about health insurance, liability insurance, workmans comp, tires, tracks, oil, hoses, trucks, trailers, welders, the always friendly commercial vehicle enforcement folks, azz hats that leave on Friday with a paycheck and $200 worth of your tools in their pockets...never to answer the phone or return to work again, customers that don't pay/slow pay, suppliers that sent the wrong materials because numb nutz that left with your tools 3 weeks ago runs the forklift on their yard now, the hundreds of hours a year spent bidding jobs that were a waste of time and you knew it before you bid them but didn't want to come of as a jerk, the employee that drives the truck back to the shop with the park brake on at least once a year, customers that want to do their own clearing and never get it done, etc, etc, etc. Yep. It's like free money.

You know it's bothered me to give a estimate and drive by in a couple weeks to see my competition working. Just means I got beat.

What bothers me is to give a free estimate and come back by and it's half azz done or not done at all. In these cases you have been used for a insurance claim or to figure out how much to pay nephew etc. I don't mind getting beat. It just means I'm not the cheapest guy around. But I at least expect to be in the game.

We now give free verbal estimates. If you want it in writing it's 50.00 . I refund the 50.00 if we get the job.
0 x

David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:16 am

callmefence wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Let's not forget about health insurance, liability insurance, workmans comp, tires, tracks, oil, hoses, trucks, trailers, welders, the always friendly commercial vehicle enforcement folks, azz hats that leave on Friday with a paycheck and $200 worth of your tools in their pockets...never to answer the phone or return to work again, customers that don't pay/slow pay, suppliers that sent the wrong materials because numb nutz that left with your tools 3 weeks ago runs the forklift on their yard now, the hundreds of hours a year spent bidding jobs that were a waste of time and you knew it before you bid them but didn't want to come of as a jerk, the employee that drives the truck back to the shop with the park brake on at least once a year, customers that want to do their own clearing and never get it done, etc, etc, etc. Yep. It's like free money.

You know it's bothered me to give a estimate and drive by in a couple weeks to see my competition working. Just means I got beat.

What bothers me is to give a free estimate and come back by and it's half azz done or not done at all. In these cases you have been used for a insurance claim or to figure out how much to pay nephew etc. I don't mind getting beat. It just means I'm not the cheapest guy around. But I at least expect to be in the game.

We now give free verbal estimates. If you want it in writing it's 50.00 . I refund the 50.00 if we get the job.

I'm with you on that. I don't mind getting beat, either. I'll give a free, firm bid over the phone using the fence planner app on my website. If I show up and something is not like the "customer" said it would be, I reserve the right to amend, but with no guarantee of keeping the job. If they insist I come to look, I charge for it and take it off the bill if I get the work. One thing I'll disagree with you on is a material deposit. I don't get one from repeat customers, but I do from new customers unless they were referred by a good customer. Probably a dozen jobs on the books right now and only two deposits collected.
"In God we trust. In all others, collect a deposit." A quote from my Dad.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”