nieghbor got a cpl cows and a bull..trainwreck for me

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

nieghbor got a cpl cows and a bull..trainwreck for me

Postby dieselbeef » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:27 pm

so they have cow exp....dad worked for a decent size ranch here....but does everything in a higher class than me tho....far as fertilizer no til drill blah blah. cows aint nothing special

got some Hereford cross out there..bout 10 on maybe 7 acres. 5 pairs. and a bull..angus thing..not bad looking young one but a skinny butt angus anyways.

cept their fence joins along my heifer weaning fenceline. he doesn't do much on his fancy pasture keeping as far as fencing. at that he aint worth a dang. so come this last weekend of the month when the moon is right ive got 8 hiefers and 2 steers to go into that 10 ac pasture his borders on.

soooo. im not to thrilled about his crappy angus breed into my beefmasters. got some real nice hiefers im gonna keep back and don't need his bull contaminating my herd

any thoughts on how I might approach this before his bull ends up in my place. ive already helped his 2 young [10 and 13 yr old] sons get back a cpl loose ones. and yesterday I ran over to get ones head out of the gate..
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: nieghbor got a cpl cows and a bull..trainwreck for me

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Sounds like you might have a good enough relationship. Maybe y'all can get together on that fence. Get it fixed up right and a good hotwire on standouts on the bull side.

Fwiw I like a black Angus x beefmaster :D
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:47 pm

Sounds like a good heifer bull.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:21 pm

Yup, hotwire, lots of it!.. and if you can manage it, a bit of a divider fence to keep them from getting tooo close to each other
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

divider is what I was thinkin..been there 20 yrs and now I gotta deal with a neighbor having cows...crap..hotwire on his side probly not gonna happen..his bull is young..think hes gonna be tough to keep out
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:51 pm

A young bull is better than a older bull. Put the wire on top if you can't put it on his side.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Kingfisher
GURU
GURU

Postby Kingfisher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:03 pm

What fence said and make sure it's good and HOT.
0 x
Green grass cures alot of ills.
The dream is free. The hustle is sold separate.

Ol' 243
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ol' 243 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Isn't there a thread going on about 22 shorts. :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:26 pm

It's tough but I would not let a situation happen. I would rethink where you put those heifers, having them right next to your neighbours fence is asking for trouble no matter how good the fence is. Once they find they can get through a fence with the heifers they will never stop trying no matter how well you upgrade it, best to not put temptation there to start with, it is tough, you feel you have the right to use your property as you see fit and he believes he has the right to use his as he sees fit. Put them somewhere else.

Ken
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:45 am

wbvs58 wrote:It's tough but I would not let a situation happen. I would rethink where you put those heifers, having them right next to your neighbours fence is asking for trouble no matter how good the fence is. Once they find they can get through a fence with the heifers they will never stop trying no matter how well you upgrade it, best to not put temptation there to start with, it is tough, you feel you have the right to use your property as you see fit and he believes he has the right to use his as he sees fit. Put them somewhere else.

Ken

A lot of times I've found that the bull isn;t the real problem, it's slutty heifers/cows that will go anywhere and through anything to get bred.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:05 am

dun wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:It's tough but I would not let a situation happen. I would rethink where you put those heifers, having them right next to your neighbours fence is asking for trouble no matter how good the fence is. Once they find they can get through a fence with the heifers they will never stop trying no matter how well you upgrade it, best to not put temptation there to start with, it is tough, you feel you have the right to use your property as you see fit and he believes he has the right to use his as he sees fit. Put them somewhere else.

Ken

A lot of times I've found that the bull isn;t the real problem, it's slutty heifers/cows that will go anywhere and through anything to get bred.

Both very, very good points. I was thinking maybe hay the 10 acres and pasture elsewhere.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:31 am

dun wrote:[

Now now! We don't blame the bulls for being slutty! Takes two to tango :D :lol: :pretty:
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:30 am

I got half dozen bulls on the other side of the fence no problem you get the fence hot enough.
Secondly don't share fences solves lots of problems.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:32 am

I didn't share fence for 20 yrs..now I don't have the choice..hot wire isn't gonna happen...not buying a fence charger and all that to put out in the middle of nowhere

its the only pasture I have for weaning fenced good enough. I guess I gotta go bust my A$$ to fix a problem I didn't have.

he sposed to call me back today..see when its gonna be gone. his wife said its not their bull
0 x
einstein

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:43 am

dieselbeef wrote:I didn't share fence for 20 yrs..now I don't have the choice..hot wire isn't gonna happen...not buying a fence charger and all that to put out in the middle of nowhere

its the only pasture I have for weaning fenced good enough. I guess I gotta go bust my A$$ to fix a problem I didn't have.

he sposed to call me back today..see when its gonna be gone. his wife said its not their bull

Hope you like the looks of his bull, because without a good hot wire your fighting a loosing battle.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”