Texas..pulling a non-registered trailer mounted sprayer down public road legal?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Texas..pulling a non-registered trailer mounted sprayer down public road legal?

Postby greybeard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:25 am

I need to pull my little spray rig over to my sister's place, down a FM road. 6'x8' single axle trailer with empty 330 gal tote tank on it. I'll use her tractor once I get there, about 6 miles away. I know most ag equipment needs no registration or lic plate to move on the highway but dunno about a trailer pulled behind my pickup.
Need anything besides that orange triangle on the back?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Texas..pulling a non-registered trailer mounted sprayer down public road legal?

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:35 am

Not to my knowledge as long as you stay on FM or county road.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

SteppedInIt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Texas..pulling a non-registered trailer mounted sprayer down public road legal?

Postby SteppedInIt » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:51 am

greybeard wrote:I need to pull my little spray rig over to my sister's place, down a FM road. 6'x8' single axle trailer with empty 330 gal tote tank on it. I'll use her tractor once I get there, about 6 miles away. I know most ag equipment needs no registration or lic plate to move on the highway but dunno about a trailer pulled behind my pickup.

If its a farm trailer you don't need anything. If it don't have lights or triangle, you could get some grief for "safety reasons". I quit running plates on my stock trailer.
0 x
"When the People fear their government there is tyranny, when government fears the people there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:17 am

No lights, fenders or anything else currently. Ball hitch and a safety chain, but I can get that stupid triangle thing.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:30 am

ask for forgiveness not permission
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 am

greybeard wrote:No lights, fenders or anything else currently. Ball hitch and a safety chain, but I can get that stupid triangle thing.

You better around here you can pull almost anything as long as it has the triangle
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:02 am

SteppedInIt wrote:
greybeard wrote:I need to pull my little spray rig over to my sister's place, down a FM road. 6'x8' single axle trailer with empty 330 gal tote tank on it. I'll use her tractor once I get there, about 6 miles away. I know most ag equipment needs no registration or lic plate to move on the highway but dunno about a trailer pulled behind my pickup.

If its a farm trailer you don't need anything. If it don't have lights or triangle, you could get some grief for "safety reasons". I quit running plates on my stock trailer.

That will get you a ticket. State thinks they can't do without that $5 registration fee.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:14 am

The problem is the police don't know the dam laws. And they really get offended when YOU try to educate them. I've fought so many of these kinda tickets I've lost count. Won some lost some.

They all do seem to know that a hay trailer requires nothing. I'm currently working on plan s to mount a roll of hay on top of my compressor....might work on your sprayer
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:09 pm

We've never had plates on our stock trailer. Was told as long as your using it for your own farm use you don't need them.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:26 pm

TexasBred wrote:
SteppedInIt wrote:

That will get you a ticket. State thinks they can't do without that $5 registration fee.

Went to 9.75 this year.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:27 pm

callmefence wrote:The problem is the police don't know the dam laws. And they really get offended when YOU try to educate them. I've fought so many of these kinda tickets I've lost count. Won some lost some.

They all do seem to know that a hay trailer requires nothing. I'm currently working on plan s to mount a roll of hay on top of my compressor....might work on your sprayer

That might work :)
I've run into the uneducated LEOs before too. They got plenty of time to write a ticket but not enough time to see what the law actually says or if it really applies to the situation at hand.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 pm

greybeard wrote:
callmefence wrote:The problem is the police don't know the dam laws. And they really get offended when YOU try to educate them. I've fought so many of these kinda tickets I've lost count. Won some lost some.

That might work :)
I've run into the uneducated LEOs before too. They got plenty of time to write a ticket but not enough time to see what the law actually says or if it really applies to the situation at hand.

Here in Ky, they have access to legal advice while on patrol etc. I've only managed to get them to call it once, and then back down. They usually just insist they are right, and don't call.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

SteppedInIt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby SteppedInIt » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:56 pm

The DOT produces a manual. I had a copy of it in the truck for awhile, but I haven't been stopped. It states no registration required for farm trailers up to the 30k range, I believe.
0 x
"When the People fear their government there is tyranny, when government fears the people there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:16 am

Three letters that cause instant rage and high blood pressure.......DOT.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:21 am

DOT=Dept of Tyranny.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”