Fault Finder

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
M-5
GURU
GURU

Fault Finder

Postby M-5 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:02 am

I have been checking electric fence since I was old enough to be told to do it 7 or 8 yrs old. All the hog pens were about 1/2 acre and on 80 acres and each one had web wire with and electric wire about 4 " off the ground on a china nail in insulator. I would walk miles and miles everyday with a short hoe and a light tester getting the fence working after the hogs rooted dirt or some other debris up on it . Fast forward 30 yrs or so and although I don't have that many miles of fence I have quite a bit and still spend a lot of time checking them. I found a fault finder on EBay last week for 60 bucks free shipping Its a DARE and retails for about 120 bucks . I ordered it and it came in 3 day later from California which was a miracle IMO , How did I survive without it all these yrs. I first tested my heifer/ weaning field its 4 ACRES and only has a strand of wire on 2 sides so its a short run The test light showed it was working I tested with to new tool and it was running 9 joules and 30amps (11 joule box) with an arrow pointing to a FAULT , I walk down the fence and low and behold I find a short piece of wire that has got against it . clear it and it at 11joules and 2 amps . Now on this section I would have found it any way but on my HT fence I don't know which direction to go . Several on here have recommended them and If you have Electric fence Spend the 100 bucks or so it is worth it , I was so impressed that I got a good sock to put the tester in so they dust stays off of it on the Kubota and will soon build a leather case for it and just might stamp a name on it after I decided what to call her.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Fault Finder

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:08 am

+1 I carry one in the Mule glove box cuts hours of looking to minutes.
I also have fence alert lights on every run worth every penny as well when you have miles of electric wire ran.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... wAodvHMOxg
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

jkwilson
GURU
GURU

Postby jkwilson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 am

Caustic Burno wrote:+1 I carry one in the Mule glove box cuts hours of looking to minutes.
I also have fence alert lights on every run worth every penny as well when you have miles of electric wire ran.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... wAodvHMOxg

CB, I have those, but they are in a box in the shop. After a few months the contacts started rusting and then every time I looked they were flashing. Wiggle them around and they quit, and then start again when the moon changes phase. Keep thinking I'll just wire them but haven't gotten to it.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:22 am

Spray your electrical connections and grounds with fluid film stops corrosion old product that works. Great for battery terminals as well as your firearms.
I keep a can on the Mule and in the shop.
Navy has been using it since WWII
http://www.fluid-film.com
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Spray your electrical connections and grounds with fluid film stops corrosion old product that works. Great for battery terminals as well as your firearms.
I keep a can on the Mule and in the shop.
Navy has been using it since WWII
http://www.fluid-film.com

How long does it last in an outside connection?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Long time this is good stuff.
I spray my battery terminals twice a year on my F-250 and tractors never any green corrosion. I spray my fence charger terminals about three times a year. I guess your weather would have an impact I get 60 inches of rain on average a year.
It is kind of pricey at 11 bucks a can
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”