Plastic hay rings

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Plastic hay rings

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 am

I was going to start switching to the cone style hay saver rings this year. About half my herd calves in the fall (a few in the winter :shock: ). Anyway, I talked myself out of those, for fear calves wouldn't get any, and price. I've bought 7 plastic rings so far. Hard to say after only half a winter, but I think I like them. Far more durable than I had thought. They don't sink in the mud either. I've been averaging putting out 28 rolls a week, and see no signs of them failing. Price wise, you can't beat the deal, or the durability imho. As I retire my metal rings, I will definitely replace them with plastic.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Re: Plastic hay rings

Postby JSCATTLE » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:00 pm

If you are talking about the black high density plastic I have several that are 5 years old . Mine has stainless bolts and still look new.. abut double the cost of the metal but last much longer ..
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Got a link Bigfoot to which ones you have?
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:51 pm

MudHog wrote:Got a link Bigfoot to which ones you have?

Not a mark on any of them. All bought from the same place Falders farm supply. Place itself doesn't even have a web page.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:59 pm

I just ordered two last week. I finally found the manufacturer who had made the three my Dad and Grandpa was using when they passed/got out. I think they are probably about ten years old now. I needed a couple more due to "groups". Most places around here sell/stock Century brand, which I am sure is fine, just wasn't the brand I was looking for.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Bigfoot wrote:

Not a mark on any of them. All bought from the same place Falders farm supply. Place itself doesn't even have a web page.

That's odd. Can you post a picture? Are you referring to the house type that covers the bale or is this a ring like a regular steel bale ring?

I haven't seen anything plastic in my area so I'm curious as to what you have and I know plastic will last nearly forever.
0 x
"A vegetarian is a person who won't eat anything that can have children." - David Brenner

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:43 pm

MudHog wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:

That's odd. Can you post a picture? Are you referring to the house type that covers the bale or is this a ring like a regular steel bale ring?

I haven't seen anything plastic in my area so I'm curious as to what you have and I know plastic will last nearly forever.

Provided it's not dark, when I feed I can snap a pic. Darks been catching most evenings.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:46 pm

This concept, but mine appears to be heavier. They were a little over $300 a piece.
0 x

MudHog
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MudHog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks! I'll have to do some looking. Even at $300, that isn't bad considering the price of steel ones.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:17 pm

We just bought another one like Bigfoot's pic. It's a Century, $260, bought it at one of the local Coops. We have 5 more that we've had for 8 years. And yes, they're bull proof :)
0 x

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 pm

I have 2 that look like the pics, but are yellow instead of black. Had them about 4 years, very durable.Recently saw 9 month old calf inside ring on top of hay- climbed back out, no problem.
0 x

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Can u pick them up with a hay spear and not damage them
0 x

artesianspringsfarm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby artesianspringsfarm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:23 pm

pricefarm wrote:Can u pick them up with a hay spear and not damage them

You absolutely can and put me in the club as a real believer in these. I'd about given up on hay rings because of how quick our bull(s) would bend them up but these things have been great. I have 2 that will be 2 years old come spring and I feed hay 6-7 months a year. Yearlings will still get in them but they can also get out. Waste even seems a little lower than a standard ring to me.
0 x

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby R V » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 pm

I have 3 of the black plastic rings that are 9-10 years old. They are very durable. My only complaint is the that the mature cows push them around and waste a lot more hay than the red metal hay rings that MFA sells locally. I wish I knew how to post a video. My son has video of a Charolais cow and her calf inside the black plastic hay ring and she is packing it to a fresh bale of hay that they were putting out. He couldn't catch her and had to lift it off with the hay spikes.
Ron
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:07 am

TCRanch wrote:We just bought another one like Bigfoot's pic. It's a Century, $260, bought it at one of the local Coops. We have 5 more that we've had for 8 years. And yes, they're bull proof :)

Ma'am I not one to tell someone how to run there operation. But your bull needs a bigger pen.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”